Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Charging Batteries

How do you know that the engine generator charges the house batteries?
a.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.west View Post
You could put a voltmeter on the batteries and see if the voltage increases when the engine is running.

It would really help if you told us the model of RV you have.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

One way is to use a good hand held volt meter. Check the voltage of the house batteries at the battery terminals with the engine off. Record that value. Start the engine. If the voltage is higher than the recorded value, the alternator is working.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I apologize...We have a 2008 Winnebago Tour
Old 06-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My system panel shows both batteries so I can tell it's charged from driving as the voltage is higher. Also in my manual it spells out what "should" be happening. The online resources from Winnebago are great. I'm not sure if 2008 is available on the website however if it is download all you can and read away...
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I apologize...We have a 2008 Winnebago Tour
I believe your monitor panel shows the house battery voltage. Check the house battery voltage and start the engine and see if the voltage increases. Be sure you are disconnected from shore power and the generator is not running.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I believe your monitor panel shows the house battery voltage. Check the house battery voltage and start the engine and see if the voltage increases. Be sure you are disconnected from shore power and the generator is not running.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Look at the battery monitor on your One Place panel. The state of charge can be seen there. Are you having a charging issue?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Look at the battery monitor on your One Place panel. The state of charge can be seen there. Are you having a charging issue?
No charging problem I just wanted to make sure that the house batteries are charging when we are on the road. I checked the battery voltage before I started the engine and again after it was running and confirmed that all the batteries house and vehicle were charging.

Inquiring minds just want to know.

Thanks for your help

a.west
Old 06-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

a.west, a solar system would keep them charged when you are not driving and most good solar systems have a good display regarding battery state of charge.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As far as I know, your Tour definitely charges the house batteries when the engine is running. Our earlier RV, a 2003 Itasca Horizon did as well.

Engine/alternator power to both sets of batteries.
Shore power, to charger and both sets of batteries.
Generator power, to charger and both sets of batteries.
Solar power, through Trik'l Start module to maintain charge on batteries
And a battery boost button to connect all batteries momentarily for starting engine

Once, when our alternator went out, Winnebago said to run the generator to keep the engine batteries charged while we drove the coach to a safe location. Amazing systems, these RV's.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #12

“Solar power, through Trik'l Start module to maintain charge on batteries”

Solar shouldn’t be thought of as a “battery maintainer” IMO. An adequate solar system should be an almost every day full “battery recharger.”
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Lots of solar power is a great idea.

I was only referring to the actual, factory installed by Winnebago, 15w solar panel, as a battery maintainer. Barely adequate, but does its job if the coach is parked in the sun, and left unpowered for a while.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
No charging problem I just wanted to make sure that the house batteries are charging when we are on the road. I checked the battery voltage before I started the engine and again after it was running and confirmed that all the batteries house and vehicle were charging.

Inquiring minds just want to know.

Thanks for your help

a.west

Aaaaa... Getting to know your coach.