Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

I am in need of some assistance! My OEM CRT tv in my 02 Journey finally gave up the ghost. Replaced it with 32" Samsung LCD and I actually have two issues.

1. I cannot get the Satellite (Directv) on the new TV. I have it outside and in the rear tv. I hooked it up the same as the old CRT>

2. When I use surround sound on the LCD, I can have the volume turned all the way down to 1, and it is so loud that I can hardly stand it. Is there an adjustment on the volume anywhere?

Other than these two issues, it was fairly straight forward except for the 11/2" clearance I had to cut on the left side of the housing.

Any suggestions?
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello,

I am in need of some assistance! My OEM CRT tv in my 02 Journey finally gave up the ghost. Replaced it with 32" Samsung LCD and I actually have two issues.

1. I cannot get the Satellite (Directv) on the new TV. I have it outside and in the rear tv. I hooked it up the same as the old CRT>

2. When I use surround sound on the LCD, I can have the volume turned all the way down to 1, and it is so loud that I can hardly stand it. Is there an adjustment on the volume anywhere?

Other than these two issues, it was fairly straight forward except for the 11/2" clearance I had to cut on the left side of the housing.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

1- I assume that your new TV has an analog tuner still built-in, correct? I'm not aware of any current issue that doesn't have an analog tuner. I'd look in the set-up menu and see what input or tuner choices you have. Somthin' ain't right.

2- Sounds like your TV is set to a fixed output rather than tracking the volume control. Look under the audio settings under something like "Audio Outputs", etc.. It's probably "Fixed" rather than "Varible"

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dgold2, as Jeff suggested you should look under menu or options for Input settings. If you used the regular coax connection from your Directv, they you should look for an Input labeled RF or Coax or something like that.

The other issue needs more info. Surround on the LCD is normally controlled by the volume control on the TV. Surround on the coach is controlled by whatever is hooked into the stereo cables going to the coach surround. If you have the surround on the TV going and the TV volume controls don't work, then you have a issue with your TV and the way it's hooked up. If you have the surround on the TV AND the coach turned on, then your connections to the coach surround might be incorrect. Check and make sure your surround cables are hooked to the TV output or the Directv output correctly.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Dgold2,
I also have a 02' Journey and would like to upgrade my TV. Can you post the model number of the Samsung and where you purchased it. Also can you post any pictures of the unit installed?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #6

I have found that a lot of the new TV's will not let you pick a random channel by entering in on the remote. Despite entering 3.0 or 3-0 it won't go there unless you run the channel scan and allow the TV to "find" channel 3 (or 4).
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I just recently installed a Samsung HDTV in my rig. I used the three connector A-V component cable (with one white, one red, one yellow RCA type connectors) to connect my Direct TV box to the A-V inputs on the TV. You then use the 'INPUT' button on your TV remote to choose AV1 and you will get the DTV signal. If you select 'TV' using the INPUT button, you can get the signal from the antenna.

As to volume control, if your Samsung has 'audio out' connectors and that is what you've used to connect to the surround, it is fixed audio out and not controlled by the TV volume. I am dealing with that very issue now and John Canfield is helping me with that. I hope to get that resolved this evening and will post the results.

Would love to see pics of the install. I used a 26" LCD to get it to fit inside the existing opening.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Dgold2, Jeff was on track with his suggestion regarding the audio volume level. Many TV's have fixed audio output for recording purposes. All you need to do is get an adapter and plug the input cable to the surround sound system into the headphone jack on the TV. You can then adjust the audio up and down normally. Did that on my 02 Winne and it works wonderfully. Clay
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Blu is correct...plugging into the headphone jack will give you volume control to the surround. However, it will disconnect your TV speakers. We like to have the TV speakers 'live' for times when one of us wants to listen to the TV at low volume...like when I arise early and watch the news while DW snoozes.

So, with the help of a schematic provided by John Canfield, I wired up a little box with 2 10K audio taper pots. This connects between the audio out of the TV and the input of the surround and lets you adjust the surround level.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips guys! It's been a long week on the road.

Now that I'm home, hopefully I will have some time to work on it this weekend. I did manage to stop at Wal-Mart and pick up the adaptor, but by the same token, I hate to loose TV audio.

Can you tell me how your box is working smlranger? How hard was it to make, and did you get the parts locally? That John is a sharp one!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dgold2:
Thanks for the tips guys! It's been a long week on the road.

Now that I'm home, hopefully I will have some time to work on it this weekend. I did manage to stop at Wal-Mart and pick up the adaptor, but by the same token, I hate to loose TV audio.

Can you tell me how your box is working smlranger? How hard was it to make, and did you get the parts locally? That John is a sharp one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got all the parts and pieces from Radio Shack. It was very easy to make up the box using John's schematic. All you need is a bit of wire and a soldering gun or pen.

It works just fine. I can now adjust the volume on the surround sound to any level we prefer. I have the little box in the left upper compartment right next to the Direct TV receiver.

Someone did suggest that a double stacked pot (actually two pots with a single shaft) would work even better. That would allow adjustment of the volume for both R and L channels more easy.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

While you are in Radio Shack, look at the relatively inexpensive mixer for around 30 bux. I find that using the slider control is easier to use. We replaced the 24" Sony CRT TV with an Insignia 26" HDTV (LCD) model only because the Sony smoked, and the Insignia model had the best fit, but as you have found out, the audio out which allows TV audio simultaneously to play is "line out" or fixed at full volume, and using the earphone jack with adapters will mute the TV's audio, requiring a separate need for control of the audio. I placed the mixer behind the TV in the plenteous space left by the CRT TV and I can reach through one of the holes in the steel cage. The plastic shroud which was originally placed under the cage is in the stick house basement, just in case I want to remount it in the coach. BTW, the coach is a 2004 Journey, 36G model.

Cheers,

Wendell.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AA4WP:
While you are in Radio Shack, look at the relatively inexpensive mixer for around 30 bux. I find that using the slider control is easier to use. We replaced the 24" Sony CRT TV with an Insignia 26" HDTV (LCD) model only because the Sony smoked, and the Insignia model had the best fit, but as you have found out, the audio out which allows TV audio simultaneously to play is "line out" or fixed at full volume, and using the earphone jack with adapters will mute the TV's audio, requiring a separate need for control of the audio. I placed the mixer behind the TV in the plenteous space left by the CRT TV and I can reach through one of the holes in the steel cage. The plastic shroud which was originally placed under the cage is in the stick house basement, just in case I want to remount it in the coach. BTW, the coach is a 2004 Journey, 36G model.

Cheers,

Wendell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wendell:

Can you provide a Radio Shack # for the mixer? Also, how about a photo of how your TV install looks without the plastic shroud. I thought about taking shroud off but wasn't sure how it would look with some of the steel cage showing.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

smlranger:

I did obtain a mixer from Radio Shack last March (2008) from a Tampa outlet. It did cost around 30 bux. I did not keep it, although it did work very well. I already had a mixer which I obtained a few years earlier when I was creating "rehearsal" tapes for our choir. So I put it in service for the motor home tv. I think it was the Radio Shack number : Catalog #: 32-2056 , although as a mic mixer, it does seem that it would run a bit hot. I guess the only thing you could do is take the unit "on approval" and see how it does.

The OEM TV had an isolator/filter for its output to the surround sound input, so I used it in line from the LCD TV to the aux audio amplifier. I run the aux amp "warm" so that we get a moderate amount of bass and some surround and can still run the TV's audio with the TV's (or Dish's) remote. The result is a satisfying, clean audio.

As to the appearance, I left the wood bezel on the front of the TV. There were four wood screws which secured it; I replaced them with four thumb screws which makes it easier to swap the TV in and out, taking the TV indoors to use in our small den and to protect it from the freezing temps of the winter (when not snowbirding). The screws go into some anchor nuts which were hammered into the inside of the wood bezel. Works fine.

The mounting of the TV was effected by using industrial strength (Walmart sewing department) Velcro the entire length of the top steel mount and on the rubber pad on the bottom of the cabinet. I have no photo of this intallation, but there is about a half to 3/4 inch margin around the perimeter of the TV. No platic was removed from the TV; only the stand (don't lose the screws). EDIT: I missed your question about the plastic shroud around the steel cage: I don't notice that it is gone. I don't get any complaints from the DW. I take comfort in the fact that there is now more opportunity for air to circulate around the rear of the LCD TV; its computer circuitry generates a lot more heat than did the Sony analog and linear circuitry : END EDIT... We replace the stand when we use the TV inside. I have travelled with the TV in place as described at least 2000 miles over rough interstate (I-10) from Yuma to Tallahassee, then to Louisville and around; it never gave any indication that it would come loose. It is rather difficult to remove, so I use a butter knife to loosen the Velcro. All this is done by one person. (exception: initial removal of the 80 pound Sony TV; thankfully the new LCD TV weighs around 35 pounds)

Cheers

Wendell