Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Central Heat not getting hot.

1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour Ford 460

Central "basement" Heat not blowing hot. The unit comes on fine but its just blowing room temp air. No heat. The manual does not discuss how it works, just how to operate it so it doesn't help me at all. Not sure where to even begin on how to troubleshoot this one. Any suggestions?
broadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What's the outside temperature? The heat pump won't provide heat if the outside temp is below about 40F. Does the LPG heater work?

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadsword View Post
1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour Ford 460

Central "basement" Heat not blowing hot. The unit comes on fine but its just blowing room temp air. No heat. The manual does not discuss how it works, just how to operate it so it doesn't help me at all. Not sure where to even begin on how to troubleshoot this one. Any suggestions?
:welcome:

what kinda unit do u have? heat pump/ac or propane furnace?
here is some info on the heat pump and furnace:

Airxcel | RV Products | Tech Info

Service Documents and Manuals
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
:welcome:

what kinda unit do u have? heat pump/ac or propane furnace?
here is some info on the heat pump and furnace:

Airxcel | RV Products | Tech Info

Service Documents and Manuals
Thanks for the response. I'm in sunny SW Florida it rarely gets to 40 degrees and isn't so it's not that.

I have a Coleman AC unit in the belly. I don't think it runs off the propane. I just bought the coach so I'm on a steep learning curve here. The manuals seem to point toward being all electric. So is say heat pump.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm in sunny SW Florida it rarely gets to 40 degrees and isn't so it's not that.

I have a Coleman AC unit in the belly. I don't think it runs off the propane. I just bought the coach so I'm on a steep learning curve here. The manuals seem to point toward being all electric. So is say heat pump.
my propane heat ducts are in the floor. my coleman heat pump/ ac ducts are in the ceiling. your unit may be similar.
when i first start the heat pump, it takes a few minutes before any heated air comes out of the ceiling vents. the air is room temperature to start with. this is normal.
there is a lot of info about trouble shooting the coleman unit in the archives of this forum. you can access this info using the search format at the top of this page.
the best info source is the manuals that i sent you links for.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Check to make sure you have propane. Does your stove work, ie the eyes turn on?
You most likely have the Coleman Heat pump system. Turn the switch to Heat vice Heat pump and see if the Heat in the floor comes on.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
You most likely have the Coleman Heat pump system. Turn the switch to Heat vice Heat pump and see if the Heat in the floor comes on.
Ok will do. I will report back.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I feel a little foolish. I have heat! It does run off the propane. I'm not quite sure what I was doing wrong before. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I feel a little foolish. I have heat! It does run off the propane. I'm not quite sure what I was doing wrong before. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
The LP heat is your furnace, which is 12V powered and LP heated. It is controlled through the same t-stat as the A/C.

Your A/C may still have a heat function to it. Either through the use of a heat pump or a heat strip which is just an electric element. All is controlled through the same t-stat.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

One of the first responses was spot on, except I have found that the heat pump (electric switch setting) does not work very well below 45*. It blows "warm" air through the AC ducts in the ceiling, therefore it takes a long time to heat up the coach. If you use the "gas heat" setting you will now see a huge difference in performance. First the heat will come up through the floor vents and IT will be warm. And it will take a lot less time to warm up your coach. And surprisingly enough you don't use that much propane.
Just remember to check the temperature in the window of the control. If it is set to low, the gas heater will not come on. Just hit the + sign to increase the temp and you will hear the heater kick in and on.
Hope that helps
Dean
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
One of the first responses was spot on, except I have found that the heat pump (electric switch setting) does not work very well below 45*. It blows "warm" air through the AC ducts in the ceiling, therefore it takes a long time to heat up the coach. If you use the "gas heat" setting you will now see a huge difference in performance. First the heat will come up through the floor vents and IT will be warm. And it will take a lot less time to warm up your coach. And surprisingly enough you don't use that much propane.
Just remember to check the temperature in the window of the control. If it is set to low, the gas heater will not come on. Just hit the + sign to increase the temp and you will hear the heater kick in and on.
Hope that helps
Dean
Thank you very much. You are right. The LP heats up the floor heat very quick. It heats the hot water up crazy quick as well! I took my second shower ever in it today while dry camping. Dear LORD! Holy SH@T was my exact verbiage. Got the valves mixed up. I wanted more cold...not hot. It scaled me bad! I made myself and the shower wall in front of me...ONE! Laughing aside... It's dangerous hot. I actually gotta watch that with the little ones.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have the Coleman basement unit in my '04 Journey. The electric heat mode setting engages the heat pump. Once the outside temp drops below the level at which the heat pump is no longer able to operate efficiently it will transfer to the gas heat mode.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear that you learned the hard way about the hot water, but you were not the first or will be the last. The best thing to do is get the temperature where you want it "before" you get in the shower. Also use a little of the hot and more of the cold till you get the temp right. The other thing to remember is that there should be a shutoff valve up and the elbow where the water comes through the wall. That valve will allow you to slow down and control the flow so you don't use too much water. As in get wet, shut it off and soap up. Then turn it on and rinse down.
Especially if you are boon docking. Aaaah the good life.
Enjoy your new toy.
Dean
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote