Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling Vent Change in 2017 Vista 29VE

Hi All, I have a 2017 winn. Vista 29ve, 30ft. The roof vent over the stove area is just a plain crank up roof vent. I would like to replace it with a Maxx air or something similar for power ventilation. Anyone had any experience with this? There obviously is no power switch in place for this but there is ceiling light near by.
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There is probably a 'beauty ring' around that vent on the inside, likely held in by four screws. Remove that ring and poke around to see if you can find unused 12 volt wires. You can remove this and not worry about causing any sort of a leak - all it does is cover the bottom side of the hole.
There was an option for a powered vent there (my wife and I almost bought one of those when we got our current RV), so maybe the unused wires are there just waiting for you to buy and install a new powered vent.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you can find some wires, you can identify them by the codes printed on them. Here's a link to Winnebago's wire codes:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If you can find any power source look also for a remote control operated vent - it will save running a wire to a switch...
Old 07-12-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Roof vent

Thank you for your replies. I will pull the ring and look for wires. Has anyone had experience putting one in and wiring it up to a near by light? Also will look at wiring schematics. Thanks.
monytaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This past weekend we were talking about doing the same modification to our 2017 Sunstar 29VE.

I pulled off the trim ring and could not find any existing wires. I guess it would be possible to bore a hole in the styrofoam from the vent over to the wall where the switches and tank level panel are to run a couple of new wires, but the possibility of a major screw-up keeps me from doing this. Maybe there is some on-wall wire channel that wouldn't look too bad?

Another idea I had was to add a vent fan, like on a range hood, on the wall behind the stove but I hate having to cut a hole into a wall that I don't know how is built, like where any framing members are. Why Winnebago built this RV without a cooking vent fan is beyond me.
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have done just this in my 2017 29ve. Correct, bore through the styrofoam, go into the AC duct to get closer to the panel as there are plenty of hot wires to tap into there. You have to bore 2x but it's super clean and I use fiberglass wire fishing poles from Harbor Freight to do the trick. I did pull the negative from the nearby light and ran positive to the panel area - helped to keep from fishing 2 wires all the way down the wall.

Take your time and it looks like it's always been there. I took the one from the bedroom (powered out only) and used that there. Replaced the one in the bedroom with the fancier remote unit (Maxxair deluxe) that goes in two directions and the cover goes up and down (forgot the model). I am very happy with those changes as we often camp at the beach and pulling the air down into the bedroom works better than exhausting for us in that situation.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby5832708 View Post
Another idea I had was to add a vent fan, like on a range hood, on the wall behind the stove but I hate having to cut a hole into a wall that I don't know how is built, like where any framing members are. Why Winnebago built this RV without a cooking vent fan is beyond me.
If you do decide to go thru the wall, contact Winnebago support. They will send you detailed PDF drawings by email of how your wall is built. I've done this several times.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, vent