Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have not been up on the roof of the "99" 34Y to tune the CB antenna. According to the owners manual, there is a ring at the base of the antennae that one turns for tuning. My question is, is this hand turnable or does one need a pliers of some sort?

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have not been up on the roof of the "99" 34Y to tune the CB antenna. According to the owners manual, there is a ring at the base of the antennae that one turns for tuning. My question is, is this hand turnable or does one need a pliers of some sort?

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 03-23-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The ring is hand turnable. You may have to wipe some dirt off with a rag to clean threads some. My CB tuned very well with this ANT.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I have a question about my CB install. The instructions say to use an SWR meter to tune the antenna, altho I have also read where I can tune it by simply moving the ring up or down on the antenna.
How do I tweak/squelch the radio while I am up on the roof tuning the antenna? My arms aren't long enough.
Thanks.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I used an 8' ladder to reach the antenna from the front of the MH without climbing up on the roof, however this still entails a lot of up & down. The best way is to have the spouse or helper key the mike and watch the meter while you make adjustments. BUT I still can't get mine to read very much under 3.0, which is too high. Has anyone else had any trouble with the Winnebago installed antennas? My meter and radio worked fine on my previous Southwind MH with a thru-the glass antenna. I've had the adjustment ring all the way up and down the adjustment threads to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

OK: make sure you are not touching ANt. when taking a SWR reading. Have MH away from trees and buildings. You will not get a perfect readying accross all channels. I have mine adjusted so I get the ;owest reading on CH. 20. Ch. 1 & 40 are higher but still around 1.5 last time I looked. Extra cable on radio and poor dirty conn. make a difference. Also make sure you have a good ground on radio.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 03-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have not notice a metal ring around my ant, what I have is a wire coil around a moverable rod ant, which moves up an down thru this coil. Is this how you adjust the ant by extending ant rod up or down thru this coil? ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

yepper 007. -Just loosen the allen set screw, have someone key the mike and look at the sSWR. Than raise or lower the antenna shaft 1/4" at a time (tighten set screw), re-key the mike, read SWR, repeat as needed. The lower the SWR the better.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
I used an 8' ladder to reach the antenna from the front of the MH without climbing up on the roof, however this still entails a lot of up & down. The best way is to have the spouse or helper key the mike and watch the meter while you make adjustments. BUT I still can't get mine to read very much under 3.0, which is too high. Has anyone else had any trouble with the Winnebago installed antennas? My meter and radio worked fine on my previous Southwind MH with a thru-the glass antenna. I've had the adjustment ring all the way up and down the adjustment threads to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2004 Meridian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could never get a low reading on my Winnie, and poor transmission to boot. It should not affect your recption, (as I understand it).
Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

007: sometimes that type ANT. has to be trimed. When I was in the CB club we would grind off or snip the end that went into the coil. Something not to do unless you are sure it needs it.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 03-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I posted a little background on antennas and antenna tuning that might be of a little interest. With these types of antennas (short antennas), it is a little "black magic" that makes them accept the transmitter output. If an antenna that is not designed for fibreglas (i.e., no metal around the base of the antenna) is installed, it will never be able to be tuned to an acceptable swr.

If you cannot tune the antenna, it might help to dangle/run six to eight feet of wire off of the antenna base. The antenna base being where the shield or outer shell of the connector attaches to the antenna. This could be inside or outside of the coach. Gauge or type or wire doesn't matter.

Whoever said that swr doesn't matter for recption is pretty much correct. You really cannot hear a perceptable difference between an antenna with a 3:1 swr and one with 1:1 swr (ideal.)

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks Tom, troth & John can't wait to get up on my snow covered roof. Where's SPRING send some of that heat up here John. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Snow - what is snow?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

... thanks for the inputs.

I had a friend .. God bless him .. climb on a ladder right after this blasted snow storm ( padded of course so as not to scratch ) to adjust the antennae length output while I was in the cab with a SWR meter. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow. I assumed that the factory antennae would suffice ... WRONG!

Upon keying the mike .. the SWR meter jumped off the scale. I reset it to the calibration lines and started the tuning process. No matter what was done to the antennae .. the needle did not move off the maxi mark indicating a very poor transmission. We tried a second CB to make sure it was not the CB .. same results. Also .. the CBs would hummm when on .. even with the volumn turned down.

I hooked up my regular coaxial antennae that I had on my van(just had it in the coach with the coaxial stretched out) and the CB indicated 1.5 on the SWR meter while transmitting.

The antennae is a dual frequency antennae so I can get the weather channels. The mount I had it on isolates the coax from the mount so the antennae does not need the chassis as a ground plane.

The people at the radio shop told me that a 4' antennae is the shortest antennae one should use. And they told me do not cut the pre-tuned coaxial cable. They said that 8' would be best.

So. I am looking for an alternate location to go through the caoch side wall so I can use the 4' whip and return some respectability to the transmitting output. If anyone has mounted a regular 4' or 8' whip ... I'd be very interested in your mounting location.

Ciao....

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I have used a 4' stainless whip successfully on my past coach, an '88 SuperChief. Screwed a flex spring base on the antenna and used a stainless gutter mount. I mounted it on the little rain gutter outside above the drivers door. Two little set screws in the mount really gripped the gutter strongly. If I recall correctly, I even added a ground wire attached to the gutter. Both the antenna cable and a ground wire just sneaked into the coach around the rubber door seals; no holes drilled.