Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My detector is going off randomly. I have a 35U Adventurer. I've had it go off while driving down the road and while sitting still. Don't know what the problem is...it seems very random. Tonight it went off about a dozen times during 30 minutes. I was not running anything except tv and lights...no heater, generator, engine, stove etc. I kept hitting the reset and it finally stopped. Two days ago it went off many times during a one hour period while we were traveling down the road. I kept hitting the reset and it finally stopped (my wife was driving at the time). Yesterday while parked, no detector going off...go figure ...of course, whenever this happens I make sure I have a window, exhaust fan going just in case.....I plan on going to by a carbon monoxide detector at the hardware store tomorrow and will see how or if it reacts.....

Any ideas on what the problem could be??...thanks, Bob
ryansmousehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My detector is going off randomly. I have a 35U Adventurer. I've had it go off while driving down the road and while sitting still. Don't know what the problem is...it seems very random. Tonight it went off about a dozen times during 30 minutes. I was not running anything except tv and lights...no heater, generator, engine, stove etc. I kept hitting the reset and it finally stopped. Two days ago it went off many times during a one hour period while we were traveling down the road. I kept hitting the reset and it finally stopped (my wife was driving at the time). Yesterday while parked, no detector going off...go figure ...of course, whenever this happens I make sure I have a window, exhaust fan going just in case.....I plan on going to by a carbon monoxide detector at the hardware store tomorrow and will see how or if it reacts.....

Any ideas on what the problem could be??...thanks, Bob
Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Who manufactured the detector? You might want to check their site to see if there has been a recall.
P.S. glad that you wife is driving too! I help my husband out to.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Is there is a 9V or AA battery in it--if so that might be the culprit.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there is a 9V or AA battery in it--if so that might be the culprit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its an OEM unit, its likely a more expensive Battery than those. On my 94 Bago, the detector would sound off when the Battery begain to fail...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You are sure it is the O2 dectector and not the propane leak detector? Our MH O2 detector has a 9V batt that will sound when batt gets weak.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Is your refrigerator running on gas? We had this happening to us also and it turned out to be a clogged vent tube on it. Just blew it out with some compressed air and that cleared it out. All has been good since.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Since I have already stuck my nose in this issue, I thought I better check my detector. As I begin, and saw the security pin, I realized I had never changed the battery. Proceeding, when I opened the battery cover, I was surprised to find the 9v battery, laying in its tray BACKWARDS..This brings forth 2 issues. I bought this coach new, so it had come from Winnebago like that, somehow passing both whatever inspection Winnie did (or in this case didnt), and also the dealers PDI.. WORSE, I realized I had never tested it either..turning the battery in its case, end for end, the unit immediatly came to life, tho seeing the Apr. 05 expire date on the battery I replaced it.. Thanks to Ryansmousehouse for starting the thread, mine is now active...rgr...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well I sure blew this one. It is the propane leak detector going off.....not the carbon monoxide detector......It's amazing what you learn when you get down on your knees and read the label.

Now that I've got the right device any other suggestions. The device has not gone off since I wrote the note last night. I'm still not using my propane. I do have a full tank since I'm on my way to the desert for a week or two of boondocking. PS...I did pick up another battery operated carbon monoxide detector (before I read the label .......

thanks......
Old 01-06-2007, 03:33 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

How new is MH? Vapors fromt the carpet will set off alarm. Do you have a dog who like to lay near the detector (passing gas). Our detector is right accross from the bathroom. So there are times it will be set off if roof vent is not running. Wife and her hair spray will do it also. Cleaning the carpet with a carpet cleaner will do it. As it get warmer in the MH the chance of vapors from the carpet or instulation will be higher.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The LP detector in my 04 Bago got to where it would go off on most any passing whiff.. I called the factory, and the TECH assured me that their new production had more reliable and discreet circuitry. I replaced mine, and now a year later, no problems.. Was 30 something$$ at the Winny parts counter...rgr...
Old 01-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ryan, If you are new to the Winnebago family, here is a link that you might find helpful...rgr...

http://www.winnebagoind.com/supplierlinks.htm
Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Out LP Detector used to go off randomly also. Ours is located near a vent which opens to the basement, near the sewer connections. The sewer gas from the black tank is what was setting ours off. Our black tank vent pipe was not mounted correctly to the tank. Since I fixed the pipe we have not had the problem.

Knock on wood