Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our carbon monoxide detector goes off on occasion, usually while parked for a long period time with the generator running. Most of the time is usually when we are dry camped and have to use the generator frequently.

Any Ideas as to where the carbon monoxide is getting into the MH?

Would an extension on the exhaust pipe direct any exhaust away from the MH?

Thanks.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our carbon monoxide detector goes off on occasion, usually while parked for a long period time with the generator running. Most of the time is usually when we are dry camped and have to use the generator frequently.

Thanks.

Ron
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron & Dee:
--snip--

Thanks.

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron - assuming your detector is functioning properly, your coach is anything but air-tight. Fumes could be coming in from anywhere.

There is a gen exhaust extension product called Gen-turi or something like that which directs the gen exhaust up above the roof. That might be worth a try.

At an FMCA rally, a Onan seminar speaker said NOT to use any exhaust extension on a generator due to increasing the back pressure on the exhaust. When I brought this up on a thread on rv.net quite a while ago, almost everybody said I was crazy as they have used theirs for centuries with no ill effects.

You make the decision...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

I think this is what John is referring to.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...-System/skunum=14041
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ron,

Ours also goes off from time to time, especially when the a/c unit is running and we have the wind coming from behind. I think it comes in thru the water bay. The a/c unit creates a negative pressure inside the coach when running.

I will usually crack a window on the passenger side.

I have an extension I made and it works real well. You can see it at:

GenStack

Concerning added extensions, I saw a rental class C last year that had a factory installed tail pipe that must of been at least 15 feet long.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ron & Dee,
I have the Gen-turi and use it alot when dry camping. it works great at getting the fumes up and out of the way. I 1st bought it because I do a lot of winter camping where I have to use the generator, and had severl times where wind would swirl the fumes up under the rig and the carbon monoicide detector would go off. Let me tell you it's not plesent to open all the windows when it's 20 degrees and windy. So I promptly bought a Gen-turi and have never had the problem again. I will never be with out one. carbon monixciade is to dangious to mess with.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much for all of the replies.

Our problem usually occurs when the wind is blowing toward the rear, or the rear end is parked pretty close to some bushes not allowing for good circulation.

I think I will either buy or make some sort of extension and that should take care of the problem.

Thanks for the ideas and the plans for a make your own exhaust extension.

Ron
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

John and Ron--

I do not believe the Genturi generates any back pressure as it has an opening at the base of the vertical stack, which creates a chimney effect pulling the fumes up.

I have seen it tested, where you take a very small piece of paper (1/4" square), with the generator running, and let go of it next to the opening at the base of the Genturi. It will get sucked up the stack and come back down floating to earth as if it were shot out of a cannon.

I have one, but have yet to use it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote