Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Itasca owner

Can you help with my tow wiring?

I just purchased a new-to-me '06 Suncruiser, just beautiful condition and low mileage. I've already straightned out a few electrical issues but can't get the tow car wiring to work. There is no power to the 7 pin connection in back, turn sigs don't work and no power at the hot brake/charge pin. The ground is fine, I checked continuity. I can get power at the tail light pin but thats the only one.

Is there a connector or fuse somewhere that may have a bad connection? I've traced as much as I can for now but no solution. I hate to run new wiring at the lights and pull a new power line and then find out there was a simple solution that I missed.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

jerrybb-

Ford or Workhorse chassis?

Do the turn signals and brake lights on the coach work correctly?

See this Web page for "7-Way RV Standard" 7-pin wiring.

According to the Winnebago wiring diagram (link here; see Sheet 5 for Ford, Sheet 6 for Workhorse), there will be signals only on these pins on the hitch connector

Left turn/stop (9 o'clock pin)
Right turn/stop (3 o'clock pin)
Tail and running (a.k.a, Parking) light (11 o'clock pin)
Backup light (center pin)

when things are working normally There will be no signals on these hitch connector pins

Trailer electric brake controller (5 o'clock pin)
12V charge line (1 o'clock pin)

As your coach came from the factory, the wires to the coach lights and to the hitch connector are spliced together, so it would be difficult for lights to work on the coach but not on the connector. It is possible a prior owner has modified the wiring.

It could also be possible that the wiring inside the hitch connector has become disconnected or corroded such that it no longer passes signals. Since opening up the connector could create more problems, it would be wise to hold off doing so until you provide answers to the questions above.

All the wiring diagrams for your coach are available at this link.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Itasca owner

All signals, lights work normally. I opened up the hitch socket and it's perfectly clean. I downloaded the schematic and sheet 5 shows a connector (I think I found it underneath) that feeds the whole back end. I'm going to pull it and make sure all pins make contact. Worst that can happen, I'll tie into the lights above and put new wires down to the socket, it's all wide open back there and easy to do. I think that feeding connector is the answer, the previous owner didn't do much of anything, although when I got it the other day the factory inverter wasn't working. I traced it to someone powering it thru the negative battery terminal, not the positive. New coach batteries were installed in March and that connection was made wrong but I don't know who did it. It's all fun...
Old 05-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

jerrybb-

Do what you want, but I would not make any new connections to the coach wiring. This is how messes get started. I would find out the cause and fix it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

There should be a fuse, which is probably blown. If you can't find it after looking through the owners manual, call Winnebago. Their customer service is great, and they will help you.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For sure - check for fuses. My 2010 F53 has specific fusesto the tow connector. I know this because one was blown during the wiring of the toad lights.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Itasca owner

I checked the main connector under the coach but it's in perfect condition. I'll take the advice and check for more fuses, I've checked all the 12v inside, all breakers but I didn't check under the hood, I think there is another panel there. I'll also call Win for help if I don't find anything. Thanks for the input, I'll post the outcome
Old 05-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Before you take anything else apart, check the fuse box under the hood. There are fuses for the tow connector there (that is the location on my 2010 Sightseer).
I worked for two days doing the same trouble shooting you have been doing. I realized during that time that the plug wires are not spliced to the tail light loom. Independent wires protected with fuses.
I hope this helps.
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Itasca owner

Thanks, I just couldn't see having fuses on all those runs but sounds like there may be something in that front panel, which I didn't check. BTW, we're going your way in 2 weeks for a stay at Lake of the Springs, shouldn't be too hot yet.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There are fuses in both locations - up front in the (power distribution panel) and inside, lower left of the steering column, is a fusebox.
Your chassis operator manual should have the location and the fuse identifications in it. If not, download it from Ford Support web site.
All that wiring is supplied by Ford, on the chassis.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
Itasca owner

Well, all of you guys are right, one fuse was out in the panel at the drivers foot. Now all the turn, brake, and tail lights work. Now I just have to run one hot wire for a charge line for the toad. I didn't expect to find all those runs fused the way they were, I would have thought they would just connect to the lights in back the easy way. I counted 26 fuses in just the front panel plus all the ones in the compartment. That doesn't include all the 12v breakers in 2 different places. A lesson learned, thanks to all.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #12

Many of these posters are very helpful, Jerry.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

If I can keep someone from laying under his coach wasting his time like I did, is the least I can do.
I have never stayed at Lake of The Pines. I worked on their water system many years ago.
It was 100 last weekend and should be real close to that this weekend. So bring your sunscreen and test your ice maker.
Have fun!
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #14

Sunscreen is essential for me, Norcal.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #15
Happy Camper

I found on my 2015 Itasca Sunova 35G that the relay for the battery + pin was in the fuse box under the hood and was never installed. While removing the dash the other day to install new dash lights I found there were 3 relays of the same type I installed for the
+ feed behind the speedometer, not sure what they were for, perhaps feeds for the 7 pin tow socket.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #16
Itasca owner

Tow wiring

Well, I think my projects are pretty well done on the rig. Today I ran a fused charge line from the chassis battery back to the pin on the connector to the toad. The ford edge has a lot of battery drain when towing and needs a charge line for any long trips. Taking it on my first outing tomorrow with our local WIT chapter. I'm a happy camper.

Tags
tow, wiring