Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I will be storing (inside, but with no power available) my 2004 Meridian for a few months and want to avoid discharging the chassis batteries (2 of them). I have read about disconnect switches, but thought I could simply disconnect the negative cable and let it go at that. Are there any problems that you know of if I go that route?

Thanks

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I will be storing (inside, but with no power available) my 2004 Meridian for a few months and want to avoid discharging the chassis batteries (2 of them). I have read about disconnect switches, but thought I could simply disconnect the negative cable and let it go at that. Are there any problems that you know of if I go that route?

Thanks

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 07-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not sure if that will take care of the issue rick. Some of your components may have their own ground to chassis and therefore complete the circut. But even if the batteries were removed and placed on a bench, 2 months is a long time for most batteries to go with out being charged.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my Journey. My battaries would discharge significantly in 2-3 weeks. The only issue with disconnect is the transmission memory. FL said the memory is ok if given power monthly. Since I start the coach at least once a month and idlew (high idle)for 20-30 minutes, I see no problem. I disconnect the ground connections and make sure there is no contact left. The disconnect solved the discharge problem. I have been doing this for about a year. I don't believe if the transmission memory is lost there is a big problem-it just has to learn again.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If there is no draw on the batteries you shouldn't have to disconnect them if they go uncharged for two months. What I have always done when checking out the draw on old cars and trucks is (with everything off inside the vehicle)to disconnect the negative cable for the batttery then connect an ammeter (the ammeter probes need to be in-line with the wire)between the negative battery post and the cable (which is still connected to the frame). If you don't have a multi-meter that can measure volts/amps/resistance (you can pick one up at WalMart for less than $20) then you can take a single filament taillight bulb (1156?)and solder a wire to the end terminal and the side of the bulb and place it bewteen the post and cable. It takes about 1 amp to light up the bulb and 1 amp will run down your battery fairly quickly. Even if the bulb doesn't light up brightly, look and the filament and see if it starts turning red. Any change in color indicates a draw. If your batteries are discharging with no or very little draw they probably need replacing. Store them fully charged (12.6 volts). Make sure your charging circuits are working. Shore power should be sending about 13+ volts to the batteries with the engine off and with the engine running the alternator should be sending at least 13.8 volts to the batteries.

Ford V10
weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv rick:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No issues that I'm aware of. Be sure and fully charge the batteries and make sure they are full of water. I would also disconnect the batteries from each other to prevent one battery from discharging into the other.

There are various and sundry parasitic loads on the chassis batteries and you will completely discharge them (a bad thing) if you store the coach and don't disconnect them.

BTW - weebur - welcome to the forums!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

To help prevent my boat engine batteries from being discharged I always disconnected the battery ground. Extending this concept to the MH seemed logical. So during my research to determine if I wanted to install a battery disconnect switch in our 2004 Journey 36G I called Freightliner and Caterpillar (I did not call Allison). Cat told me that the engine computer should not be disconnected from the chassis battery for long time periods. According to Cat the lithium battery that supports the engine control module –ECM computer during power loss will support relatively short periods of being disconnected from the chassis battery but it was not designed for extended periods. I know I had no problem when I changed out my engine batteries. By the time I took the chassis batteries out and drove to purchase new ones and re-hooked them up they were out about six hours. I have read other posts where the chassis batteries are being disconnected during winter storage. Also, the chassis batteries must be removed during significant engine repairs etc.

I called Freightliner and they confirmed that the chassis disconnect switch they are providing does not turn off the engine and transmission computer.

Cat has not provided me anything in writing about what constitutes a "too long"¯ battery disconnect that would cause the lithium battery to discharge causing loss of engine software and failure altogether as in not being able to be re-charged.

You may want to call both Cat and Freightliner so you can make an informed decision as to the risk, if any. Replacing the lithium battery is apparently expensive but I have not found any one who has had this experience

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm .. Many thanks for the great information. This is more complex than I expected and I think I will try to add a Trickle Start and then be sure to run the generator each month.

Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD