Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cable TV wire routing?

I have a new to me 2013/14 Tour 42QD. I've hooked it up to two campground cable outlets (2 different campgrounds) and the cable reception is lousy on all 3 tv sets. I've tried different cables between the pedestal and the motorhome and checked that the connection on both sides of the connector at the motorhome are tight. From there I'm a bit clueless as to where the cables go. Any idea where the splitter is? Any other ideas of what to check besides both sides of each connector? I realize there is still a possibility that both RV cable systems are fuzzy, but it's pretty unlikely. Going out again next weekend, so that should satisfy me on that count.

The satellite picture and the OTA antenna picture is perfect, so I know it's not the TVs.

Ideas?
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
I have a new to me 2013/14 Tour 42QD. I've hooked it up to two campground cable outlets (2 different campgrounds) and the cable reception is lousy on all 3 tv sets. I've tried different cables between the pedestal and the motorhome and checked that the connection on both sides of the connector at the motorhome are tight. From there I'm a bit clueless as to where the cables go. Any idea where the splitter is? Any other ideas of what to check besides both sides of each connector? I realize there is still a possibility that both RV cable systems are fuzzy, but it's pretty unlikely. Going out again next weekend, so that should satisfy me on that count. The satellite picture and the OTA antenna picture is perfect, so I know it's not the TVs. Ideas?
Push the tv antenna booster button above the entry door. With it on your cable tv will be fuzzy.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You most likely have a amplifier between the ota antenna and your device. You will need to turn that amplifier off to be able to view campground cable. I do not know where the switch is located on your coach but look near the ota antenna controls
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I know about the amplifier button. That isn't the problem. With the amp on, there is NO cable reception. Where else should I look?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I know about the amplifier button. That isn't the problem. With the amp on, there is NO cable reception. Where else should I look?
Jbstok
I had this happen to me with a Winnebago Adventurer. It was a bad connection at a splitter. The old me would remove the tv's and take whatever needed apart to find the splitters. The new me would call Winnebago Customer support and let them tell me where they are located and how the coax is run so I could troubleshoot quickly.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Have you set the TV inputs to cable, and scanned for channels, after hooking up the park cable ?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If the tv's work fine on satellite and roof antenna the wireing through the coach from the switch box ok. I would check the connection from the outside cable wires to the switch box in the coach. Run a direct wire from the outside pedistal to the back of the other tv's check the picture when you bypass the coach. It could be something simple like the inner wire of the coax not connecting. I had a similar problem this past season I was using a cheap thin light duty cable wire my picture was very erratic sometimes good and sometimes bad I bought a good quality cable wire and the problem was solved. Also the cheaper connectors seem to wear out if you piece two cable wires together if you connect and disconnect frequently they wear out. I found it does not pay to try and save a few dollars on this type of equipment.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Jesse, you may well have the answer <g>. This forum is just a lot more handy than finding the numbers for and playing telephone tag with Customer Support.

I've done all the normal things, including programming the TV's cable channels, but just am not familiar with how Winnie does things. My previous coaches were Tiffins and they and Winnie don't seem to agree on much when it comes to wiring. Completely different is a phrase that comes to mind....

When I get to the CG next week, I'll start troubleshooting again. I do like the idea of bypassing the coach wiring completely to confirm that is where the problem is. After that, I'll just need to examine the connectors and find that splitter.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Jesse, you may well have the answer <g>. This forum is just a lot more handy than finding the numbers for and playing telephone tag with Customer Support.

I've done all the normal things, including programming the TV's cable channels, but just am not familiar with how Winnie does things. My previous coaches were Tiffins and they and Winnie don't seem to agree on much when it comes to wiring. Completely different is a phrase that comes to mind....

When I get to the CG next week, I'll start troubleshooting again. I do like the idea of bypassing the coach wiring completely to confirm that is where the problem is. After that, I'll just need to examine the connectors and find that splitter.

Thanks.
I think Table of Contents will help you out
Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Mich F, Thanks for the post...it would appear that in all the diagrams- the antenna and cable share the same splitter arrangement. For the O.P.- from the diagrams it should not be necessary to run a temp line from the pedestal to a tv. If the OTA reception is clear, it shares the same configration with the cable tv input. My first inclination is that it's entirely possible you had poor signal in both of the rv spots...check a neighbor's reception to verify if you can or get a long coax and temp from another pedestal or find another area of the park to check. Ask the mgmnt at the park about it. You may still want to call Winne support too, someone always answers even if you have to wait a few minutes. Congrats on getting a great coach!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Mich F, thanks for the link. That's helpful.