Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

breaker tripping

2013 Vista 30t 2500miles, new to me.
Had issues since I bought with outlets and inverter.
Replaced the inverter a month ago and thought that was my problem, seemed to work ok. Now the top 15amp breaker trips and cannot be reset. I lose about 5 outlets. I can turn the inverter on and get them back. I replaced the breaker this morning and it did not solve problem.
JimA7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Do you have outlets on the patio and on the drivers side? Check those for water leaks into the inside which causes intermittent shorts. Even morning dew can cause it to short out.

If you have a 15 amp breaker that can't be reset, that says you have a short. Find the Winnie electrical drawing and follow it around the area of the RV that breaker serves checking the outlets and unplugging things. Let us know if it's none of those for different tests.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA7489 View Post
2013 Vista 30t 2500miles, new to me.
Had issues since I bought with outlets and inverter.
Replaced the inverter a month ago and thought that was my problem, seemed to work ok. Now the top 15amp breaker trips and cannot be reset. I lose about 5 outlets. I can turn the inverter on and get them back. I replaced the breaker this morning and it did not solve problem.
Is that a circuit breaker on the inverter, or a 15amp CB on the main power panel? Or is it a GFCI outlet which trips.
When the CB can't be reset, does that mean you turn the CB all the way off and when you turn it back on it trips back off?
If the CB is tripped and stays tripped, how does the inverter being turned on restore the power?
Is this an after market inverter that you or someone installed or did it come from the factory?
What is the make and model of the inverter?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Breaker tripping in breaker box

The 15 amp breaker that trips is in the main breaker box. It stays tripped losing power to 6 outlets. When I turn on the inverter I do have power to those outlets but the inverter shows running off battery power when in fact the RV is plugged into 30amp shore power.
The inverter is new from Hodges Marine and is the exact same model as was taken out. It is considered a 'throw away item'. Local service here in Titusville, Eagles Pride installed it.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The 15 amp breaker that trips is in the main breaker box. It stays tripped losing power to 6 outlets. When I turn on the inverter I do have power to those outlets but the inverter shows running off battery power when in fact the RV is plugged into 30amp shore power.
The inverter is new from Hodges Marine and is the exact same model as was taken out. It is considered a 'throw away item'. Local service here in Titusville, Eagles Pride installed it.
That makes it pretty sure the inverter did not come from the factory, but is an after market install.
I believe the 15amp CB is wired to the inverter and the inverter then is wired to the outlets. Take a multimeter and see if you have 120V to the inverter, I guessing you don't. Try disconnecting the 120V from the inverter and see if that fixes the problem.
Does the inverter power more than those 6 outlets?
OK, so what is the make and model & watts of the inverter? Saying it is the same as what was removed doesn't give much info.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The inverter is Xantrex XM Pro1000. The one we had installed is the same that was in the unit. This is a 2013 with only 2500 miles. I think it is original equipment.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The inverter is Xantrex XM Pro1000. The one we had installed is the same that was in the unit. This is a 2013 with only 2500 miles. I think it is original equipment.
Thanks. Checking the online brochure for your rig I see the 1000watt inverter is an option.
It sounds like the AC side of the inverter is shorting out the AC input power, (or the AC cable going to the inverter is shorting out) but yet the AC output to the outlets could still work from the inverter.
So back to trouble shooting. A multimeter to start checking voltages, and shorts to ground would be needed.
As I suggested checking earlier, do you have 120V to the inverter? If not then go back to the CB which is tripping and using the ohm meter, check for a short to ground. If it is shorted, then disconnect the 120V AC input wires to the inverter and see if the short goes away. If it does, the the inverter is bad, if not then the AC cable is shorted to ground somewhere.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Breaker tripping in breaker box

i will try again on Monday or Tuesday and post a reply...
Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ongoing breaker problem

Been working on this for a week. Since swapping out the breaker that keeps tripping, we have traced wires to and from the Inverter. Followed wires under shower and then found junction box behind bottom dresser drawer. (wonderful location) After removing drawer hardware and supports to get at box took apart box. Looked like ground was not secure in those blades and other wires looked frayed so we replaced box with residential one, Without attaching wires going out of box the breaker held and all outlets and inverter worked properly except no power to the two outlets next to the bed.. After attaching outgoing wire breaker failed. Solved part of the problem.
Traced wires under floor to under bed (slide). Found a flat connecter box (like they use in most rv's). Disconnected the wires there and had normal power going into connecter box. Narrowing it down we think the final problem is in the outlet box on the rear side of the bed. Another joy, no slack at all at the box. we will try to take that one apart tomorrow.
I think we spent about a good 6 hours of labor on it so far. My neighbor who is helping is very knowledgeable about RV's and has done the most work. right now I think my bill at a dealer would be about 800.00.
I will post again when we have everything working correctly. (Hope that's soon)
Thanks to all.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks for coming back with the update. It is always nice to learn what the fix is and/or how the troubleshooting is progressing.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The ultimate problem was two wires came loose from the blades in the bedroom electrical outlet.
After 3 days I now know where everything goes.
Everything is working as it should.
Here's a 2013 motorhome that has 2500 miles and wires have come loose in a box. Makes you wonder.