Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

BIM question

I have a 2004 Winnebago 35U. The boost solenoid is confirmed bad. The LR lead gets power when the boost switch is pressed and when the IGN is in run. It clunks but taking voltage readings on the coach and chassis terminals shows the solenoid contacts are bad.

It is a:

Trombetta 936-1215-011-21
Winny Number 008188-01-000

I talked to Lichtsinn parts. They have the original solenoid in stock but I'm not interested in that.

The solenoid, 008188-01-000 and in stock.

If I replaced it I would go with a Cole-Hersee 24213.

I asked about a trik-l-start if I did replace the solenoid. They have one in stock. Winnebago replacement for the trik-l-start according to them is 174291-01-000. Its listed as a battery isolation manager and has since been replaced by.

332068-01-000 0001733085 225amp
332004-01-02b mtg plate
332005-01-02b angle mtg

I looked at a 2019 Adventurer wiring diagram and that part shows up. It appears to be a BIM by Precision Circuits. Could be there solid state BIM 00-10041-250. Why the two mounting plates I don't know. They are used on the 2019 Adventurer.

I would be interested in this BIM as it would also charge the chassis batteries while on shore power. I asked Lichtsinn parts if this would work in my 2004. They suggested it but referred me to Winnebago tech support. I have called but have not gotten through as yet.

I looked at the PDF for the BIM. It has a IGN and SIG terminal. I only have the yellow LR wire to my boost solenoid. I have traced the LR wire in the wiring diagrams the whole way back to the boost switch. The boost switch has 3 wires. I'm not sure if the IGN run power travels through the boost switch to the LR wire.

I sent an email to Precision Circuits about there product. Got an email back form the president. He said I would need a home run from my IGN run and my boost switch. Not just the LR wire. I asked why I could just connect the LR wire to the IGN and SIG terminals on the BIM. Noting back in days.

I keep trying to contac Winnebago tech support to see why Lichtsinn suggested the 332068-01-000.

At the least I could go with Cole-Hersee solenoid and look at the trik-start or amp-start I guess. Since I need to replace the solenoid anyway I thought I would look at the solid state BIM.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Team

My 2017 Adventurer came with the BIM that keeps the chassis battery charged when on shore power (once the house bats are above 12.6v).

I can't tell you if it would work on your RV or not, sorry. When I bought my RV mine did not work and WBGO replaced it under warranty but it was at their factory in Iowa.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. What I don’t know is what is the difference on the BIM SIG and SIG terminals. Wonder why I can’t connect my LR yellow wire to both of those terminals. My LR wire carries voltage of boost presses or ignition in run. President of Percision Circuits said I need a home run for IGN an SIG. but he didn’t say why. Yet Winnebago parts I talked to have me the BIM as an option but couldn’t confirm when I asked if it would work.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Don't know if this will help but here's a link to a thread on IRV2 when I was trying to figure out my BIM not charging. Folks posted a number of photos and diagrams that potentially could be a help.

Plugged into shore power for 2-wks but chassis battery losing charge - iRV2 Forums

Also, Here's a photo of how it's connected in the Adventurer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM 4.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	172166  
Old 09-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks as well. Hoping get on phone with tech support an get some answers. I can alway put in a silver contact boost solenoid and a trik-l-start or amp start. Right now I carry a battery tender an connect it to the chassis battery while on shore. I move the solar panel wire from the coach batteries to the chassis for as little as it helps.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well I just spoke to Winnebago tech support. They said they had no information on installing the BIM in my 2004 but would be interested in knowing? They refered me to George at Precision Circuits. That confirms that the BIM Lichtsinn quoted me is Precision Circuits.

I have another email into George to try and find out why he said I would need to separate my single LR wire into a separate runs from the boost switch and IGN run. My LR wire does both now so I don't know the different function of the BIM IGN and SIG terminals.

I can't tell yet from the wiring diagrams but it looks like the LR wire is a home run to the boost switch. There are two other wires to the boost switch. One appears to go to a 12V source that also feeds to cigarette lighter in the dash. I wonder if the third wire is from the IGN run and just connects to the LR wire right in the boost switch. Saving running two wires to the boost solenoid.

I think in the mean time I'm just going to replace my boost solenoid with a Cole-Hersee 24213.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It just hit me. I bet the reason George said I needed a separate run from boost and IGN. Because the BIM would be confused if it saw voltage on both terminals at the same time. That is if I jumped the single LR wire to both terminals.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I don't have your answers but I could use George's email for another problem I am having. Thanks!
anndrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

anndrennan - I sent you a PM with Georges's contact information.

I received an email from George about there BIM. He states if I don't separate the Boost switch feed and the IGN run feed there BIM will not work. I only have the single LR wire at the boost solenoid. I would have to figure where Winnebago merged those feeds into the LR. I suspect at the boost switch but I'm not sure.

In meantime I ordered a Cole-Hersee 24213 to get my boost solenoid working again. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I did not get your private message. You can text me at 239-677-5530. Thanks!!
anndrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

cef2lion,
Well let's see, you have a 2004 Winne that JUST had the original Trombetta (or, has it been replaced prior?) go bad after what, 15 years? My original Trombetta lasted just over 12 years. I figure that's pretty good service, especially since the type of work it has to perform. It's up to you but, procuring one just like it, should, I say SHOULD give you a fairly equal service life but, no guarantees here. Just some thoughts here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I didn't go with a Trombetta. I installed a Cole-Hersee 24213 with silver contacts last night. Boost and house battery charging back in operation. Tested with my Fluke meter.

I don't know how long ago the Trombetta failed. I never used the boost switch and didn't know the solenoid also did the house battery charging while driving. I was reading some threads about BIMs and decided to check the solenoid.

I also completed my 30-50amp conversion last night. Tested and working. I received my EMS-PT50X portable surge protector. I also bought two dog bones. One for 30-50amp and the other for 15-50amp.

My dash air blend door wasn't working. It was a black vacuum line broken off coming from back of the engine to under the hood. Noticed on last trip and the dash HVAC fan would only run on high. Replaced the 30amp solenoid on the HVAC box and the other fan speeds are working now.

Ready to head out this weekend.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Well, that works. When mine failed, I rebuilt it and it lasted for just over a year. So, I ended up getting the better Trombetta, also with silver contacts. It's been in there now for a couple of years and works like a charm.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Why the Cole Herse 24213 over the Winnie part? For my coach, the Winnie part 008188-01-000, has 3 poles, but the CH has 4. How do you wire that?
QuiGonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #15

I think the 4th terminal is for ground. So just add a ground wire to the backing wall or other control wire.

The 3-pole type grounds buy mounting the solenoid. So this type you need to be sure the mounting plate has a good ground.

Always compare part numbers. For example: When you buy the Trombetta, be sure you buy the one with silver contacts inside. You know this by its part number: #114-121-020 .

You can buy the other Trombetta part # 114-121-010) and it will work, but not as long.

Note: The "2" as in 020 stands for silver contacts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solenoid Picture (Continuous Duty Is best).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	176965  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

So I zoomed the image on the Winnebago site and see it is Trombetta. But the model for that seems to be 936-1215-001-21. Which I cannot find on Trombetta site. If I just buy the one from Winnebago, is that Silver Contacts:

https://winnebagoparts.com/3-post-ba...over-solenoid/
Old 01-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJohn View Post
So I zoomed the image on the Winnebago site and see it is Trombetta. But the model for that seems to be 936-1215-001-21. Which I cannot find on Trombetta site. If I just buy the one from Winnebago, is that Silver Contacts:
How about this?

https://pjpowerinc.com/p/936-1215-01...actor-solenoid
Old 01-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My 2006 Aspect does not charge the Chassis Battery when connected to Shore Power (or on Genset). I was thinking of adding a Trick-L-Start or an Amp-L-Start, when I swap this faulty Solenoid. Since either of those have CHASSIS + and HOUSE + and GROUND. I thought of connecting them to both sides of the Solenoid and mounting it in that same compartment. Seems the easiest solution. Any reason this would not work?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

So I just read thru this thread again. Is the OEM Winnebago 008188-01-000, which is actually made by Trombetta and part number 936-1215-011-21, does this have SILVER contacts or some other metal. I think mine is original, in a 2006 Aspect. So it lasted almost 15 years. So I think I will buy that one, but would prefer Silver (since apparently it holds up better than other metals). I read another thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/hous...ml#post3968006 and he says the ones from Winnebago are only rated at 80 amps. Did not say which metal.

Also, in follow up to my question about Amp-L-Start. I see from the installation instructions at LPL, one install option the suggest is exactly what I thought of doing, connect to both sides of Battery Mode Solenoid. Lichtsinn says I should speak to their tech or Winnebago tech. But I see no reason this would not work on my 2006 Aspect.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Some thoughts on the install may help. Keeping in mind that from an electrical standpoint any item or point that is solidly connected is considered very near the same, makes it easy to just go with other things that may change where to put the Trik-l.
You will have three wires, one to each battery feed and one to ground, so it is very easy to just pick two points that are attached to coach and start batteries and then the third to ground.
If I remember the directions specify to do this at the solenoid as you do have both coach and start battery connections there. So if your solenoid is handy to get to, that is per the directions and works fine.

But my solenoid is hard to reach, while my two battery strings are side by side in the compartment at the step. So the difference electrically is one end of the battery cable or the other, so putting the Trik-l at the batteries which are open and easy to access is easy as all three connection point are there and it is easy enough to screw the small box to the metal wall with self tapping metal screws.
Since I keep my battery posts protected from corrosion with No-OX-A I don't like to put more wires there and it is better to keep wires back from the acid, I run the small wires to the big fuse block nearby and the ground wire to the ground bus just down behind the batteries.
This leaves the LED on the Trik-l where I see them any time I open the cover, not that it tells me much, but why not?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4061.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	176998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4063.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	176999  

Name:	IMG_4059.jpg