Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

On my coach, I don't think there are too many places with easy access to both the POS from Chassis and from House. Since I have to change the solenoid anyway, and both are there, that is why I am thinking of connecting it at that point. Although I am leaning more towards the Amp-L-Start. But I have changed my thinking and will probably do a short wire run, so I can mount the device in the coach, once you start up the steps, left wall is my convertor/charger and the solenoid is well inside an outboard compartment, just below and slightly outboard from this. So I will run the wires from the new solenoid, up into the convertor/charger cavity and mount this just outside the convertor/charger.
QuiGonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Since we are speaking of very low current flow, as shown by the small size of the wires they use, any point to connect to start battery and coach battery that both stay connected when the ignition are off is likely to be fine. just looking around on each Rv may turn up a better, shorter or quicker way to get the small wires connected so some looking and study of each Rv is a good idea.
Some may find things like the big fuses are hanging right where it would be handy, some not so much. Just keep an open mind on how simple this item is.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

So I am seriously considering the Cole-Hersee 24213 instead of the Winnebago Trombetta. I know you ground one of the small terminals on the CH. But I am a little confused on how it (or the Trombetta) operate. Sorry, need more info. One large terminal connects to CHASSIS +, one large terminal connects to HOUSE +. The small terminal connects to the Battery Boost switch on dashboard. Now when I press that and engine is off, the current goes into the small terminal and activates the coil, passing HOUSE voltage to CHASSIS voltage to aid in starting. But how does it work when I have started the engine. Does the voltage on the CHASSIS + side energize the coil and pass the voltage. OR Does the voltage from the Chassis pass thru the same wire from the dash, to the small terminal, activating the coil and passing CHASSIS + over to HOUSE +. I read some of the Q&A, as well as Reviews on the CH and not sure it works the same as the Winnie part. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

This is from another thread on this Battery Mode Solenoid.

"An RV mechanic told me that this set-up was because of a risk to the engine mounted alternator if left connected when the gennie is started."

My question is, when driving and then running the GenSet, does this solenoid de-energize and if not, will that hurt anything (as mentioned). We do this sometimes when my wife will cook something in our microwave/oven, while we are driving. It never seems to hurt anything, but good to know exactly what is going on.