Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom entertainment center, Voyager AM/FM/CD Player is powered up by touching "any" of the front switches on the radio section but can be powered "off" only by the on/off switch. It seems that every switch is wired "hot". Checked the wiring on the back of the unit and all appears to be in accordance with the wiring diagram.

Could it be possible that the front panel is somehow connected to a "hot" wire? Anyone have experience with this problem? I am considering adding a toggle switch in the B+ circuit to shut the thing off completely except when I want to use it. DW is getting fed up with me rolling over at night and inadvertly touching a switch on the front panel and she is jolted awake by the noise. I don't wake up because I don't wear my hearing aids to bed but she has sharp elbows and my ribs are beginning to hurt. Please help soonest.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom entertainment center, Voyager AM/FM/CD Player is powered up by touching "any" of the front switches on the radio section but can be powered "off" only by the on/off switch. It seems that every switch is wired "hot". Checked the wiring on the back of the unit and all appears to be in accordance with the wiring diagram.

Could it be possible that the front panel is somehow connected to a "hot" wire? Anyone have experience with this problem? I am considering adding a toggle switch in the B+ circuit to shut the thing off completely except when I want to use it. DW is getting fed up with me rolling over at night and inadvertly touching a switch on the front panel and she is jolted awake by the noise. I don't wake up because I don't wear my hearing aids to bed but she has sharp elbows and my ribs are beginning to hurt. Please help soonest.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm really sorry that I can't help you, but when I saw the topic title "Bedroom Entertainment" I just HAD to click on it to see what it was about.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Chief

Our's works the same way, but we have enough elbow room that I don't trip it accidently.

One solution would be to let the unhappy DW sleep on that side of the bed so SHE can be the one to set it off!! ...but, she probably wouldn't be much happier with you then either.

Seems to me an easy answer would be putting a switch in the power line. On mine, it would even be easy to mount that switch in the wall beside the radio so it would easy to use. The clock would never be right, but the light would also be off! Our original radio did not have a lighted front except when in use. We had to replace it after a lightning strike, and the new one (same model) is lighted all the time!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:
I'm really sorry that I can't help you, but when I saw the topic title "Bedroom Entertainment" I just HAD to click on it to see what it was about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL...Wombat... I did the same thing... Sorry guys...Ok..anyone else out there have a solution that will help solve his sore ribs problem?

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with turning the radio on in the middle of the night. I have gotten into the routine of turning the volume all the way down before I turn it off for the night. I have been on the fence whether to install a small rocker switch on the side of the frame/cabinet where it wouldn't be so obvious to cut power to the radio but not the clock. Bad design...

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That's the way they work and I doubt you can go in and just clip a jumper. I have a hard switch on the external radio, and the FRS Gang Charger for boondock power management. The bedroom radio is next on my list, but for a different reason from yours..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Chief,

I did put a micro toggle switch in the ignition wire of the unit soon after the purchase of the motorhome because of the bright light at night. The toggle switch I purchased at Radio Shack and the unit has a power wire and ignition wire so the one with the stripe on it is the ignition wire. Both wires are crimped to the same 12 volt + lead you will not have any trouble finding this. The toggle is mounted in the top of the phone jack plate plenty of room and the unit keeps all the settings but no bright light at night and no accidental alarm clock. The unit will not function as an alarm clock if the toggle is turned off but we have an led alarm clock sits on the storage unit that does not bother either of us at night.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for your responses. I thought the title "bedroom entertainment" was a bit provactive and would warrant several visits from the curious. Picked that trick up from John Canfield after reading some of his post's.

I thought that our radio was the only one like this but see that they(this model/manufacturer) are all alike. What a weird design. Can't imagine why they would engineer a radio like that.

Have already had to replace the Voyager rear vision monitor and their radio/CD players don't seem to be of much better design/quality. Are you listening Mr Winnie??

KennethM: Your fix is no doubt the one that I will install as I wasn't thrilled about drilling through the cherry cabinet housing the radio. Going through the phone jack plate is the best solution. Thanks!!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I must be a real geek because I assumed that the title referred to entertainment electronics.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Don't ever admit that Ken!

I have only hit mine once or twice, but I keep the volume down as well. The switch is an option though.....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote