Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have seen several posts on this board where folks were somewhat unhappy with the size of their "RV Queen bed. My wife and I have often thought, " we wish that this bed was a few inches longer. I am just under 6', and she, a few inchs less, and it seems like our toes would often end up off the end. Last week, I went to a "Foam and Fabric " place and bought a block of foam, 6"x9"x60", and after pulling the mattress 6" away from the wall at the head end, inserted the foam into the opening. Regular Queen sheets and blankets fit just right, and now we have plenty of toe room. Our 'Bago is a 33v, with the bed sideways in the BR slide, so we will have to remember to remove the insert when the slide is retracted, but the "new bunk" is "mighty comfy" Cost for the foam, here in Tucson, was $35...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have seen several posts on this board where folks were somewhat unhappy with the size of their "RV Queen bed. My wife and I have often thought, " we wish that this bed was a few inches longer. I am just under 6', and she, a few inchs less, and it seems like our toes would often end up off the end. Last week, I went to a "Foam and Fabric " place and bought a block of foam, 6"x9"x60", and after pulling the mattress 6" away from the wall at the head end, inserted the foam into the opening. Regular Queen sheets and blankets fit just right, and now we have plenty of toe room. Our 'Bago is a 33v, with the bed sideways in the BR slide, so we will have to remember to remove the insert when the slide is retracted, but the "new bunk" is "mighty comfy" Cost for the foam, here in Tucson, was $35...rgr...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Add me to the "toes over the end" group. That's a great idea with the foam - I'll add it to my RV to-do list. Thanks for sharing!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

At 6ft 3in I may try that trick as well. Thanks for the tip.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I am 6'3" and had the same problem. I used two of these swimming noodles (large foam tubes), stacked between mattress and wall, works just fine to give me more foot room. Cost about $3.50.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I find it amazing that one can spend well over $100,000 for an MH and not get an 80" long queen bed. Not all RVers are short. My current 27' 5th wheel has a 60"x80" queen bed. I'd sure hate to give that up.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our first TT had an "RV Queen" for a bed. That was at the top of our list on the next RV. Since you spend about 1/3 of every day laying on it, it has to be right. I also dumped the RV mattress that came with the MH before I took it off the lot. I installed a quality made (Custom Comfort) full size queen mattress and made the sales guy carry it in!

I had also toyed with the idea of a "Super C" coach with a rear garage when we were MH shopping. But laying down one time on the over the cab sleeping area was a deal breaker. If it was going to be used very occassionally, maybe it would work. But I knew that we were going to full time in it, so no way.

If I don't rest well, the whole next day can be shot.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My problem with the bed is a bit different. I'm 6'1 and have no problem with length. Our problem is width. My DW and I are accustomed to a California King which is wider then the regular King. We also sleep with 2 dogs AKA the girls. Has anyone widen the bed in the 33V.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but it's a great topic.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone widen the bed in the 33V. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I dont see how you can do that, at least in our 04, unless you would be willing to remove the Night stands that are right up against the mattress on each side. We also are Cal/King users at home, but in our bed its "just we two" ..rgr...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
I find it amazing that one can spend well over $100,000 for an MH and not get an 80" long queen bed. Not all RVers are short. My current 27' 5th wheel has a 60"x80" queen bed. I'd sure hate to give that up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Amen! to that!

Being 6'5" tall, when I go in an RV to check it out I do two things:
<LI>First, I lie down on the bed to see if it's long enough.
<LI>Secondly, I stand in the shower to see if it's high enough.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Amen! to that!

Being 6'5" tall, when I go in an RV to check it out I do two things:

First, I lie down on the bed to see if it's long enough.

Secondly, I stand in the shower to see if it's high enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess this model fit your needs!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone widen the bed in the 33V. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I dont see how you can do that, at least in our 04, unless you would be willing to remove the Night stands that are right up against the mattress on each side. We also are Cal/King users at home, but in our bed its "just we two" ..rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I know. We go out for months at a time so I'll probably remove my bedstand in the future.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote