Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All, I just discovered I have a dead cell in one of my house batteries and will need to replace them before we go out again. I have a 2004 Winniebago Adventure 35U on a Workhorse 22 chassis. My question is, what would be the best deep cell battery that I could get for the space allowed that would give me better service. This will be my 3rd. new set and I would want to do better than get just 2 seasons out of them. I check batteries per suggestions and do all the things I think I am supposed to do but 2 years are about all I get. I plan to be gone a lot after the new year and do plan to do some dry camping in the South West US. Any suggestions, reference information, your own experience, etc. would be really appreciated. Thanks, Grampy
grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All, I just discovered I have a dead cell in one of my house batteries and will need to replace them before we go out again. I have a 2004 Winniebago Adventure 35U on a Workhorse 22 chassis. My question is, what would be the best deep cell battery that I could get for the space allowed that would give me better service. This will be my 3rd. new set and I would want to do better than get just 2 seasons out of them. I check batteries per suggestions and do all the things I think I am supposed to do but 2 years are about all I get. I plan to be gone a lot after the new year and do plan to do some dry camping in the South West US. Any suggestions, reference information, your own experience, etc. would be really appreciated. Thanks, Grampy
grampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

grampy, you should be seeing a lot more than just two seasons on a set of house batteries. My Interstate Deep Cycles (original equipment from Winnie) are still going strong on my '04 Brave.

But since you ask for the best fix, measure your battery tray dimensions, including available height, then march out and get some good 6 volt golf cart batteries (ex.- Trojan T-125s).

Also, you should invest in a smart charger that will desulphate your batteries occasionally.

Lastly, suggest you search the Winnie forum and you'll find lotsa info on the 6 volt changeover and smart chargers.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Grampy:

When my deep cycle batteries started going bad I decided the go with AGM batteries. While considerably more expensive, overall I believe they will provide better service, require little to no maintenance, and should outlast most standard batteries. I also changed out the OEM converter/charger with a "smart" charger from Xantrex with a battery temp monitor and remote charging panel. I replaced my two 80 amp 12v GRP29 batteries with two 105 amp 12v LifeLine GRP 31 AGMs. So far I am pleased with the decision. Only time will tell.

I found this link to be useful in educating me better on the various battery types.

http://www.amsolar.com/batteries.html

Good luck with your research.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My question is, what would be the best deep cell battery that I could get for the space allowed that would give me better service. This will be my 3rd. new set and I would want to do better than get just 2 seasons out of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first question to answer is why your batteries are so short lived.

Are you using RV/Marine or deep cycle duty rated batteries?

Do you buy from a reputable retailer who provides a reasonable warranty (3 years is what Costco provides, for instance)?

Do you have enough battery so that your normal use pattern doesn't bring them down more than 50% (12.2 volts after 'resting' a few hours)

Do you recharge batteries promptly, vigorously, and completely?

Do you make sure that the batteries are stored properly when not in use for more than a couple of weeks? This means a maintenance charger with desulfation or equalization capabilities.

There are only a few OEM's for batteries so the brand isn't as important as getting them from a reputable retailer. As for type, there is no real reason not to get a wet cell lead acid as long as you have a proper vented compartment. Other options are nice, pricey, and really don't offer that much for the cost.

If you treat your batteries kindly, they should easily provide more than 5 years or more of service.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Other options are nice, pricey, and really don't offer that much for the cost.

I respectfully disagree with this statement BryanL.

AGM (Absorption Glass Mat) sealed battery technology was originally developed in 1985 for military aircraft where power, weight, safety, and reliability were paramount considerations.
AGM battery technology has continued to develop and offer improvements over other sealed battery technologies. AGM technology has become the next step in the evolution of both starting and deep cycle sealed batteries for marine, RV, and aviation applications. This "next generation" technology delivers increased safety, performance, and service life over all other existing sealed battery types, including gel technology.
AGM BATTERIES FEATURES:
" Aircraft class cell construction:
- Lowers internal resistance for high repeated engine start current.
- Withstands shock and vibration much better than flooded or gelled electrolyte designs.
" Twice as many discharge/charge cycles as the leading gel battery.
" Faster recharge; no current limitations with voltage regulated recharging.
" Sealed construction with absorbed electrolyte - no shipment restrictions; submersible without damage; install in any position; no need for watering; no corrosion on terminals.
" Cell safety vent valves - pressure regulated, nonremovable.
" Safety - even during severe overcharge the LIFELINE AGM battery produces less than 2% hydrogen gas(4.1% is required for flammability in air).
" FAA and Military approved; Manufactured to DOD military specifications; " Lowest discharge rates (Less that 3 percent per month unattended)

In AGM sealed batteries, the acid is absorbed between the plates and immobilized by a very fine fiberglass mat. No silica gel is necessary. This glass mat absorbs and immobilizes the acid while still keeping the acid available to the plates. This allows a fast reaction between acid and plate material.

The AGM battery has an extremely low internal electrical resistance. This, combined with faster acid migration, allows the AGM batteries to deliver and absorb higher rates of amperage than other sealed batteries during discharging and charging. In addition, AGM technology batteries can be charged at normal lead-acid regulated charging voltages, therefore, it is not necessary to recalibrate charging systems or purchase special chargers.

Unlike other sealed battery technologies, the AGM battery technology allows for more positive plate material in its cell construction. Therefore, there is an increase in Amp Hours, Reserve Capacity, depth of cycle, cycle life and a reduction of internal self discharge over other sealed batteries.

This increased performance have made LifeLine AGMs original equipment on many high quality commercial ships and pleasure craft including Lazarra Yachts, Island Packet, Pacific Seacraft, Viking Yachts, Elco Electric Boats, San Juan Yachts, Alden Yachts, Hinckley Yachts, Santa Cruz Yachts, Christensen Shipyards, Blue Water Yachts, and Broward Marine.

In addition, Lifeline AGMs are original equipment on Airstream, American Carriage, American Coach Works, ARI, Coaches by Dare, Country Coach, Creative Mobile Interiors, Dynamax, Earth Roamer, Executive Coach, Four Winds, Featherlite, Fleetwood Motor Homes, Four Winds Intl Inc., Gulf Stream Bus, Hoffman Coach, Integrity Motor Coach, Innovative Coach Works, LDV, Mattman Company, Millennium Luxury Coach, Mirage Mfg Co., Marathon Coach Inc, Monaco Coach, New Horizons, Newmar, NRC, Newell Coach, Outlaw Conversions, Pace American, Parliament Coach, Sports Mobile, Thompson Coach, Travel Supreme, Renegade, Royale Coach, Vantare, and Premier Motor Coach.

Check this link http://www.dcbattery.com/lifeline_ag...ycle_comp.html for a comparison of AGM Vs leading GEL battery life cycles. Based on this, the leading GEL deep cycles live cycle is 400 cycles @ 50% - LifeLine AGMs are 1000 cycles at 50% (2 more life cycles.)

In addition, these batteries have a 5 year warranty Vs a standard 3 year for most other deep cycle batteries.

I for one see little "value" in spending my time checking specific gravity levels and adding water to batteries.

So, while admittedly "pricy," I believe, for all the reasons cited above, I am getting a lot of "value" for the additional cost.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I respectfully disagree with this statement BryanL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what makes the world go 'round!

I just wish you could tell me something new that would help me see the light.

I used AGM's ten years ago when I needed extra capacity and the low resistance characteristics but did not have a proper battery compartment for wet cells. Then, as now, the cost was two to three times that of the equivalent wet cells. I like the AGM features but

When it comes to the practical, code still requires a vented space, even for AGM's. As for lifespan and cycling, I don't find many RVers that really put that kind of stress on their batteries. As for susceptibility to charging abuse, AGM's are a bit more picky than wet cells.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I for one see little "value" in spending my time checking specific gravity levels and adding water to batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me, neither. That's why I use a decent battery charger and maintainer. At least I can add water if needed - with the AGM's I just had to live with the result that caused it.

Do watch on the warranty - last I checked, the battery warranty of 5 vs 3 depended upon the service use. Also look at the life expectancy that folks like Az Wind Sun cite - 5-7 for wet cell and maybe up to 10 for AGM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So, while admittedly "pricy," I believe, for all the reasons cited above, I am getting a lot of "value" for the additional cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Value comes in many flavors. The ad blurb hits a bunch of emotional points that can be of value for many, but not much of a practical nature for typical RV use. (note it was aimed at "sealed" comparisons and not wet cell comparisons, mostly, too)

no doubt but that the AGM is a popular choice when money isn't the issue. I agree they are good batteries, especially if using an inverter with high peak loads. but ... ;-)
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #8

I do agree with all the AGM talk, but lots of our battery life depends on your converter/charger (or inverter/charger is so installed)

I changed out my Magnatek/Parallax converter single stage charger (junk) to a Progressive Dynamics 9245 (45 amp)converter with a true three stage charger (includes a de-sulfation mode). This comes optionally with a monitor remote pendant that lets you know what stage the charger is in, and you can manually over-ride this to a different charge level if desired.

My change-out was done after many recommendations and now I am assured that my batteries are being charged at the correct level....No more gassing, and I leave my batteries in my motorhome throughout the Winter.

This was an economic fix to the converter/chargers that so many of us were saddled with, and now I am satisfied about my charging.......Hopefully my flooded cells will last a bit longer now.

To the OP: What I have heard, the best and most economic battery you can put in is 6 volt batteries (2 in place of 1 12 volt battery), as this will give you the longest amp-hours over the single 12 volt.

Of course the best battery is the AGM battery.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

There are premium flooded-cell (wet) batteries that would be an excellent choice for a premium battery (i.e., Rolls.) And there are Lifeline AGM sealed and really maintenance-free batteries. Either would be a great choice assuming that you are okay with keeping up with battery fluid levels in a wet battery.

I suspect the economics works out about the same vis-a-vis premium battery vs. average-quality battery. Do you want to replace the batteries every three years to retain optimum performance or every six or eight years for a premium battery (Rolls, Lifeline.)

On the boat, I went to gel batteries (great choice.) On our land yacht, Lifeline AGMs (yet another great choice.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote