Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Battery Procedures for Cold Winter Storage

We have a 2016 Winnebago Sunstar Itasca-27N now in storage for the cold Alberta winter. I've drained all the plumbing systems, filled the gas tank and added fuel stabilizer. Since it's recommended to start and run the chassis and generator engines once a month I've left the 3 batteries installed. To keep the batteries from freezing I've connected to shore power, turned the coach battery switch to the ON position to keep the 2 coach batteries charged up. I've turned the chassis battery switch OFF, and connected the chassis battery to a battery maintainer.

Will the converter via shore power maintain the coach batteries correctly or overcharge them?
Thanks,
Gary
garlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The converter will maintain the proper charge for your batteries all winter long.

Sounds like you have done everything right, well almost. You say you drained the plumbing system. That is what I did with my old TT and it worked fine as it had low point drains for the hot and cold systems. I also drained anything that might be left in the hot water tank by temporarily removing the anode plug.

But that works if all systems drain to the low point. On my new Thor Axis I didn't have confidence in that so I sucked in antifreeze into the fresh water pump and opened each fixture until I got pink stuff out, including the toilet flush and outside shower. Then I put a cup full in each sink, shower basin and two cups in the toilet to make sure the traps were winterized.

So consider what you have and whether simple draining will do the job.

David
Old 11-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

thanks David;
Yes I also flushed Rv antifreeze through all plumbing systems.

My big concern was leaving the coach batteries connected to the converter on shore power because I'd heard that the converter could overcharge the coach batteries.
Gary
Old 11-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlen View Post
thanks David;
Yes I also flushed Rv antifreeze through all plumbing systems.

My big concern was leaving the coach batteries connected to the converter on shore power because I'd heard that the converter could overcharge the coach batteries.
Gary
No, the converter drops down to about 13.5 volts when the batteries are fully charge which is fine for long term storage.

David
Old 11-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I just read that newer RV converters with a smart charger system can be left plugged into shore power over the winter because their smart multi stage charging system will not overcharge the coach batteries.

How do I know if my 2016 Winnebago Sunstar has a newer "smart" converter?

Gary
Old 11-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Smart chargers have a three step charging algorithm that improves charge rates. Look at your converter. It should have a make and model number listed either on the outside or inside the flip down panel.

If it is the ubiquitous WFCO 8955 it isn't so smart. It charges at a fixed 13.5 or so volts. I know WFCO may say otherwise, but I have never measured any voltage higher than that on mine, so I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics charger for faster three step charging. But the 13.5 volts shouldn't harm your batteries long term. It just won't charge very fast.

David
Old 11-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlen View Post
We have a 2016 Winnebago Sunstar Itasca-27N now in storage for the cold Alberta winter. I've drained all the plumbing systems, filled the gas tank and added fuel stabilizer. Since it's recommended to start and run the chassis and generator engines once a month I've left the 3 batteries installed. To keep the batteries from freezing I've connected to shore power, turned the coach battery switch to the ON position to keep the 2 coach batteries charged up. I've turned the chassis battery switch OFF, and connected the chassis battery to a battery maintainer.

Will the converter via shore power maintain the coach batteries correctly or overcharge them?
Thanks,
Gary

Disconnect the house batteries. When you exercise the RV make sure to drive it for at least 30 minutes. I've never bothered with the Driving--but then I have solar to maintain all my batteries.

Tags
battery, storage, winter