Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Although I've had my motorhome (2006 Itasca Sunova) for almost three years, this past weekend was the first time I tried "dry camping". To my dismay, the house batteries do not appear hold a charge. The first day, after driving 4 hours, the battery indicator light showed a bright green indicating a full charge. The next morning, the indicator still showed a bright green light, but when I plugged in the new 12v coffee pot, the lights dimmed, and the battery indicator light fell to the last red light. I then had to start the generator by using the MOM switch to allow the chassis battery to start the generator. I ran the generator (around 45 minutes) to charge the batteries, and make my coffee. Once the battery indicator light was at top green, I shut down the generator, and the battery remained in the green until the next morning when the same thing happened, and again the following morning. I checked the batteries (which appear to be smaller travel trailer batteries and not motorhome batteries), and the electrolyte level seemed OK.

And now for the rest of the story I was camping with a friend who has a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer (purchased at the same time with the same floorplan and options as my Sunova), and the same thing happened to him.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation and offer any solutions ? Since the same thing happened to the both of us, I find it hard to believe both sets of batteries went bad at the same time. Surely, I should be able to brew a pot of coffee without killing the batteries !!

Thanks for your advice.

John
SoCal John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Although I've had my motorhome (2006 Itasca Sunova) for almost three years, this past weekend was the first time I tried "dry camping". To my dismay, the house batteries do not appear hold a charge. The first day, after driving 4 hours, the battery indicator light showed a bright green indicating a full charge. The next morning, the indicator still showed a bright green light, but when I plugged in the new 12v coffee pot, the lights dimmed, and the battery indicator light fell to the last red light. I then had to start the generator by using the MOM switch to allow the chassis battery to start the generator. I ran the generator (around 45 minutes) to charge the batteries, and make my coffee. Once the battery indicator light was at top green, I shut down the generator, and the battery remained in the green until the next morning when the same thing happened, and again the following morning. I checked the batteries (which appear to be smaller travel trailer batteries and not motorhome batteries), and the electrolyte level seemed OK.

And now for the rest of the story I was camping with a friend who has a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer (purchased at the same time with the same floorplan and options as my Sunova), and the same thing happened to him.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation and offer any solutions ? Since the same thing happened to the both of us, I find it hard to believe both sets of batteries went bad at the same time. Surely, I should be able to brew a pot of coffee without killing the batteries !!

Thanks for your advice.

John
SoCal John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your coach, but if it's twin had exactly the same problem I would submit that you're lite on batteries and probably dry camping prep since this is the 1st time. You would be amazed at the phantom loads in your coach: LP detector, fridge (even on LP), bedroom or external radios (if equipped), FRS charger (if equipped), and I'm sure I'm missing other things that someone else will point out. Dry camping can be a science, but the bottom line is that you have a limited supply in the batteries that are being drawn from somewhere, and that morning coffee is really gonna put a pounce on them!
Next time you're out, make a list of lights: time on, TV: time on, etc. You'll be amazed how fast it goes.

Jeff

PS- I'm a power hog, but figured I had plenty of battery with 3ea. GP29's at Quartzsite with the new Meridian in '07. After all the lights, TV, PC, and the heater in 19 degrees overnight, I was more than done the following morning. That got fixed last summer with 4 6V GC's

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not as knowledgeable about the batteries as some others but,

If the batteries are old or have not been maintained (before you obtained the coach), they will discharge faster than new batteries. I was not aware of the fact but the older the batteries are, the more water they will use.

I just replaced my house batteries with group 31's and they are susposed to have more reserve power. All of my batteries are now the sealed type and I am not sure whether this is good or bad. The only other alternative is to run your generator more often. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bought a new to me adventurer last year that the dealer had installed "new" coach batteries in. Did a late night arrival and was surprised at how low the batteries were the next day. It seems from causal looking that with normal loads a lot of people have reported 1 day is about all you get. Interested in hearing what most people considered as normal run times that are experiencing dry camping.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We need some basic info. Number and type of batteries for example.

That said, a 12V coffee pot will drain batteries in a NY minute. Huge current draw. Another but.. check the voltage after the coffee pot turns off and the batts rest a few minutes. It will likely come up some.

Better yet, use the stove to make coffee. Make sure you draw 12V current wisely.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

John ...

12V appliances that generate any kind of heat have a very heavy current draw ...

The relationship between Power (P), Volts (V) and Current (I) is given by the formula

P = V * I

you can read about this HERE

As an example a 120V coffee pot with a label that says 900 watts will use 7.5 amps while it is brewing the coffee ... using algebra we get this formula

I = P / V
= 900 watts / 120 volts = 7.5 amps

So I suggest you examine the power requirement given on the label of your coffee pot ... then do the above arthmetic to determine how many amps it draws while you are brewing your coffee (your voltage will be 12 )... this will help you understand why your batteries are discharging so quickly while brewing the morning java ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

SoCalJohn. I too have had the same problems with my batteries. Here is the issue..unless needed I am now keeping the Aux Bat switch in the "off" position while on AC. Seems the charger can and does "over charge" the batteries and it does not take long with the over charge to burn off the fulid in the battery. Replace the fulid with distiled water. Then watch the fulid boil off after a few weeks plugged in to shore AC power. Doing this several times you will "kill" your battery. Just one dead chamber on the battery and it will not "hold" a charge. Believe me I have Killed two sets of batteries by keeping the coach plugged in to shore power and having the Aux. Bat switch on. I now only using the Aux Bat switch when I need power and I am not plugged in to shore power.

You have dead batteries and need new ones. Keep your Aux Bat switch off when plugged in to AC. Only switch on if you plan to use the coach and only then for a day or two...no more. Use the switch like a light switch on if needed off when not.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Not necessarily true, Steve. If you do not have a 'smart charger' in your rv, get one. These chargers (Progressive Dynamics PD92XX, e.g.) will not boil fluids.

And, if you maintain a proper level of water in the battery, even a dumb charger will suffice. In addition, it is recommended that the battery be connected while running most converters. The battery serves to hold a steady voltage for the 12V equipment.
I recommend every RVer go to The 12V Side for a first class tutorial on RV electronics.

jmho

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You have dead batteries and need new ones </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not likely, although equalizing (if your inverter/charger has that capability) may help. I have found that equalizing my batteries a couple of times a year (I am a fulltimer) makes a real difference in how long they will hold a charge.

As others have indicated, a coffee pot does put a huge draw on batteries. We have a smart charger that does not overcharge our batteries, and I do keep the water level where it should be. But the OEM battery setup on a modern coach isn't going to allow you to dry camp for days on end -- overnight is about all we expect. When dry camping, we do not turn the inverter on unless we need it for something like TV, etc. If we need the microwave or coffee pot we start the generator. Even with the inverter off and refrigerator on LP, there is a lot of draw on the house batteries, even from the refrigerator fans, etc.