Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
JWmAustin

Battery minder not charging chassis batteries

Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL

Does anyone know if you can charge the chassis batteries off the built-in charger? The manual says it will but it appears like the only time my chassis batteries are charged is when the engine is running. When I read about the battery minder in the manual it says "it makes decisions to charge the batteries". I can't see where it is actually charging the chassis batteries.

The chassis battery voltage appears to just go down as I'm using generator or shore power. I end up having to use the battery disconnect anytime I'm stopped.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3542220
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You should check the condition of your batteries, they may be failing. How old are they? The little minder is just an amp and a half max output, and if the batteries has an internal short it will be wanting to draw more than that.

If the batteries are good and your minder is failing, then I'd rip it out and install a Amp-L-Start. When your house batteries are being charged by your converter, it will divert some of that (up to 15 amps) to keep your chassis batteries topped off. Easiest place to install is right where our charge solenoid is, as both heavy gauge battery cables are already there.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

All newer Winnebago's use a device - the name escapes me - that diverts a portion of the output of your charger to the house batteries once they reach a certain level. This is done by activating the "charge solenoid" to connect the two batteries and the device is attached to that solenoid. That solenoid also closes - bridging your house and chassis batteries - with the engine running. You can check to see if the solenoid is operational by starting the engine and looking at the voltages on both banks - they should be the same. If they are not, you may have a defective solenoid. In any event, the answer to your question is yes the chassis batteries get charged but only after the house. You do not need to add any additional device.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
All newer Winnebago's use a device - the name escapes me - that diverts a portion of the output of your charger to the house batteries once they reach a certain level. This is done by activating the "charge solenoid" to connect the two batteries and the device is attached to that solenoid. That solenoid also closes - bridging your house and chassis batteries - with the engine running. You can check to see if the solenoid is operational by starting the engine and looking at the voltages on both banks - they should be the same. If they are not, you may have a defective solenoid. In any event, the answer to your question is yes the chassis batteries get charged but only after the house. You do not need to add any additional device.
Major error - the device diverts the charger output to the CHASSIS battery once the house batteries reach a certain level.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Major error - the device diverts the charger output to the CHASSIS battery once the house batteries reach a certain level.
Correct and it's called a BIRD.

Bi-directional Isolation Relay with Delay.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Twinboat is correct. It's called a BIRD. Mine was defective from day one...took 18 months of me using my battery tender to realize that it wasn't functioning correctly.

Replace it. On my '13 QD it is located behind a little panel next to the chassis batteries.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

jwmaustin The device is called a"Battery Isolation Manager" here is the link to the battery wiring diagram for your coach. In the drawing on the last page the "Aux Start Solenoid" in the middle of the page is the Battery Isolation Manager relay. You will also notice there is several fuse links, the one feeding the chassis batteries could be bad.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_187618.pdf
Here is a link to the brochure on the Battery Isolation Manager.
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...nager-RevF.pdf
Also the battery disconnects must be disabled for this device to function correctly.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
JWmAustin

"Also the battery disconnects must be disabled for this device to function correctly.

Grant/Pat
So you are saying it won't charge unless the battery disconnect switches are in the off position?

Bill
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
JWmAustin

and BTW thanks Dave, Bob, Pat and Grant. It's pretty amazing what we have to do to understand and operate these things...
Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

jwmaustin, Will I when back and looked at the battery installation drawings for your coach. The inverter changes things, it is wired directly to the coach batteries and the Battery Isolation Manager. So any time you are on shore or generator power the battery disconnect relays can be on, disconnecting the batteries and both coach and chassis batteries will still charge. Sorry about the confusion.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
JWmAustin

Actually I think I've discovered the problem isn't the lack of charge but that the voltage indicator that's amidship ( for the inverter ) indicates it's charging but the dash freightliner info center indicates the battery is low. I'm now assuming the Freightliner info display device is wrong.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The LBCU or guage in the dash will likely read low as the cabling to the batteries is finer than it should be. You can check the house and chassis batteries by going thru the menu on your Onan AGS panel. It is likely more accurate than the dash reading. Good luck,
Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
JWmAustin

Voltage at the dash is dependent on its impedance of course. I imagine I'll have to do some circuit tracing. Thx
Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Battery Minder will keep a GOOD battery charged & the lead plates de-sulfated.

The low 1.2 charging amperage is a trickle charge ONLY.

I have a Battery Minder on my Toyota Yaris & my Ford E250 Cargo Van. It's comforting to look over at the charge controller & see that lil green diode blinking when I'm driving down the road or when I'm parked at a rest stop taking a break from driving.
travellife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, charging, chassis