Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Have a portable model Battery Minder. The Moho is plugged into shore power with the Battery Minder hooked up. Does it hurt to start the engine/generator or should it be unhooked first?
Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have a portable model Battery Minder. The Moho is plugged into shore power with the Battery Minder hooked up. Does it hurt to start the engine/generator or should it be unhooked first?
Thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jimmy - don't think so. The battery voltage is going to drop with a significant load, but the Minder should be designed to only put out so much current. I think you'll be fine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I was more concerned about voltage transients from the vehicle damaging the Battery Minder than the reverse.
I disconnect it from the engine battery when I am not connected to shore power.

I added a 12 volt socket connected to the engine battery under the steps on the cabinet wall under the ac receptacle in the step well and installed a 12 volt male plug on the Battery Minder cord. I leave the Minder plugged in and just unplug the 12 volt cord.

Is it absolutely necessary? I don't know, but my years of experience designing electronic gear for automotive systems makes me cautious.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #5

I know that you are required to disconnect a battery charger or battery minder (per instructions) on a Harley BEFORE starting the motor... there is an inline fuse, of course, but I disconnect no matter what; not worth getting an electrical gremlin due to something going wrong. I don't use one on my MH but would still disconnect.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
great info
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I always disconnect my battery minder whenever I start the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Seems as if the consensus is that: Its best to disconnect the Battery Minder to avoid damage to it.

To be on the safe side I will disconnect it completly when starting the engine. Thanks again for your help and safe miles to all.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have two battery minders one for coach batts and one for chassis. One is a Vector and does not need to be disconnected when motor is running or when using converter. The Exide model does, or it will fry it every time. This includes use of the generator on the Exide model.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have had a battery minder on the engine/chassis batterys for 3 years and have never unpluged it for generator or engine use. I almost always leave the inverter on so the minder has power nearly all the time. Never had a problem and the engine/chassis batteries are always charged. Never needed the MOM switch to start the engine. Also still on original batteries..coach and chassis after 5+ years.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well, I took my own advice. "when in doubt go to the horses mouth."

I have a VDC Electronics Battery Minder Model 12117. The tech told me that you could start the engine, hook a larger battery charger to the battery and it would not harm the Battery Minder in any way.
When it gets a larger voltage it simply shuts down...Good to know and we have an answer at least for this make and model. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have a battery minder on the engine batteries -- never does show full charge -- always shows charging -- must be small enough that it only keeps up with battery draw
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Check the output with a meter. That is how I discovered my Exides were fried by the converter or the alternator when I forgot to disconnect them. As I stated in my previous post on this subject, my Vector minder is not affected and is hard wired in.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote