Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Battery Life

When my Voyage was new, I installed a 12 volt plug-in in the bedroom for my CPAP. Each time I used it, the batteries died at about 3 in the morning. I doubt if said CPAP draws enough amperage to kill the house batteries. My thought is that other things are drawing them down. Since the refrig seems to be the main culprit, I just wonder if shutting it off at nite would allow me to get a full nights sleep.
I'm using a Trik-L-Start so the batteries are fully charged all the time and the fluid level is where it is supposed to be. The terminals are clean also.
Any thoughts/experience on this situation would be appreciated
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
When my Voyage was new, I installed a 12 volt plug-in in the bedroom for my CPAP. Each time I used it, the batteries died at about 3 in the morning. I doubt if said CPAP draws enough amperage to kill the house batteries. My thought is that other things are drawing them down. Since the refrig seems to be the main culprit, I just wonder if shutting it off at nite would allow me to get a full nights sleep.
I'm using a Trik-L-Start so the batteries are fully charged all the time and the fluid level is where it is supposed to be. The terminals are clean also.
Sure, I don't see any problem turning off the fridge for the night, but you shouldn't have to. Aren't you using it on propane?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
Sure, I don't see any problem turning off the fridge for the night, but you shouldn't have to. Aren't you using it on propane?

Even on propane, it has a amperage draw
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Even on propane, it has a amperage draw
True, of course, but it's very minimal.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #5

The current on the Refer, is so small that you could leave it on for a monthand it would not deaden your battery , It is in the milli amp Much less then 1/4 amp And only when it is running on Propane,, Unless you are Have your inverter turned on and are using it that way Which is a no no..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
your engine alternator and trik-l-start charges your starting battery. your house batteries are charged by your engine alternator or your converter when hooked up to shore power.
when i purchased my moho in '06, my 2 year old house battery bank would not run the furnace blower all night.
installing a pair of lifeline agm batteries solved my battery problem. they are still performing well. i expect to get at least another 5 years of service from them.
here is some info that may help.

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you have a CPAP with a 12 volt humidifier and use the humidifier it will draw a healthy current. Mine draws up to 5 amps with the humidifier on.

From what I have read on other threads, without a humidifier (or in the pass over mode) most CPAP machines can run for at least one night on a two battery set up and often two or three nights or longer.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

5 amps times 10 hours is 50 amp hours. If you have a pair of U-2200's (GC-2 size Golf car batteries) in series you have 220 amp hours and 110 usable. assuming the batteries are in good condition and fully charged.

If you have a single Group 24, 27 or 29, You might have a problem.

A single Group 31.. Depends on other draws.

If you have any of these (Single 12 volt) consider either an upgrade to a pair of GC-2's or ... Double what you have.. Triple if G-24.

Another thing: Many folks think "A couple hours" of generator is enough to charge the batteries.. Full charge takes closer to six hours if you have the right size converter, Longer if the converter is too small.. Magnetek 6300 it might take days.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

What's a "CPAP"?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

A machine used by people suffering from sleep apnea!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Continuous positive airway pressure machine. It keeps the airway open while you sleep.
Untreated I stopped breathing up to 75 times an hour sometimes for several seconds. With the machine I have an AHI - average hypopnea index - of 4.1.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone...sorry you have to use those things- it doesn't sound very fun.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Whenever we attend a rally with little or no hook-ups, we always have had the option of getting a "handicapped" site for the purpose of running hubby's cpap machine. From what I have learned, there are many folks that use them and the rally planning people realize that and have made arrangements to accomodate us folks. We were told that they would draw down our batteries substantially if we did not have a handicapped site.

Happy Trails...

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Thanks everyone...sorry you have to use those things- it doesn't sound very fun.
A lot of people do have trouble becoming acclimated to the machine. I think it's something like 50 or 60% quit using them.

I am lucky and adapted to it right away. I felt so much better during the day and I stopped snoring immediately. I can't sleep well now without it.

Tags
battery