Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Battery Issue

for the last 4 years we had to store the coach in a typical outdoor storage location. this year we got lucky and now have it under roof, no walls, but with at least electric so i can keep the unit plugged in all the time. i notice this week i have very heavy corrosion around the 2 house batteries. not on either posts, just all around the hold down brackets that secure it to the tray. i cleaned them off real good but trying to see what really caused it. the battery reading is just over 13V, this would be for the house and also the coach batteries. is leaving the unit plugged in all the time causing the corrosion or something else. just trying to get a little smart here. any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

thanks

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

majfriz,
If you have an inverter info panel that tells you what stage the inverter/charger is charging at, check it and see what it says. If you don't have one, then what ever type of charging system you have for your batteries may be working a bit overtime. I changed from (3) 12V Marine/Deep cycle Interstates to (4) 6V Costco units about a year ago, and for the longest time, those four 6 V units were fantastically clean and without issues. But, I recently checked them and there was a "CHIA PET" GREEN BUSH on two of terminals.

Now, why all of a sudden this should happen? Who knows? My 2000 watt Dimensions Inverter/Charger was on "Float" for most of the time. And that means those house batteries should be receiving a minimal charge. As for yours, just make sure your water is up and, check to see how much charge you're getting while plugged in with a good VOM.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

As "Fire Up" stated, be sure the float voltage is not too high....about 13.2 (=/- 0.2v depending on temperature) is ok for a long period of time.

Based on yr and model, you, Fire Up, and me all have the 2000 watt Dimensions inverter/charger. These units will cycle thru a "Equalization" charge every X times the unit is turned on/off. Where X is maybe 4, not sure, could be 6. When in Equalization mode the charge voltage goes up to 14.5 on up to 15 or more for 8 hrs to vigorously agitate the acid to de-sulphate the battery plates. The sulphate is little tiny hairs that grow between the plates that effectively short circuit the current and discharge the battery and reduce the charge capacity. So if you go thru this Equalization mode periodically, the batteries will last longer. That's the good side of Equalization, the bad side is it will boil out a significant amount of water out of the acid, and acid will end up creeping out the battery caps and eating up any metal it touches. The other bad side is you have to make sure your water level is up, and never drops so low that the plates are exposed to air. That will kill the batteries fast, even "new" batteries will die young.

So with a Dimensions charger, if your AC power is turning on/off frequently, your batteries are getting way too much Equalization charge. An 8 hr Equalization once every 3 or 6 months is probably enough. Every week or couple of weeks it way too much and you'll be adding water all the time and cleaning up acid on top of the batteries.

With the 2K Dimensions unit you can minimize the bad effects by manually limiting the input current to 5 amps, so that the power into the batteries during the Equalization mode is restricted. I've talked to the Dimensions service guys about a software update or some way to abort the Equalization mode when it starts......but there is no fix. I believe the newer 2K Dimension have a higher count on the on/off cycles, where X = 10 instead of 4 (or some #'s that are greater).

I have 4 Trojan 6-volt wet batteries that are around 7 yrs old and still going strong. About 3 yrs back I spent $100+ for Pro-Fill watering system which makes keeping the batteries topped off real easy. When I bought my Trojans, lead was very expensive and the price then was twice what it is now. A $1000+ sealed GSM battery upgrade was not in the budget. But if you can afford sealed batteries, you won't have water maintenance issues.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I used Therm-Oil in my first set of 4 (6V) house batteries. Therm-Oil floats on battery acid and prevents off-gases. With my new 6V batteries I use the Pro-Fill that is much easier to work with. Good topic.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

thanks for the feedback. i have the Dimensions 600W inverter. i know it is small, but that is what was on there when i bought it new. i do keep the water levels up all the time. so far this year i have added less than a quart of distilled water to both of the batteries. i will check the charge readng this weekend. we are going to use it one more time before i winterize it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Mineral oil works well at cutting down out-gassing and evaporation.
2 oz per cell for a 12 VDC battery
4 oz per cell for a 6 VDC battery

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
thanks for the feedback. i have the Dimensions 600W inverter. i know it is small, but that is what was on there when i bought it new. i do keep the water levels up all the time. so far this year i have added less than a quart of distilled water to both of the batteries. i will check the charge readng this weekend. we are going to use it one more time before i winterize it.
Wow! .... you have a 36 ft Journey and only 600 watts. You can't even use the microwave or a coffee maker when dry camping. I suspect the prior owner had problems with the 2k and couldn't afford the cost of a direct replacement.... or just never/hardly ever dry camped. If you have some big fat 12v cables (like 5/8" dia) going to your smaller 600w, then it's wired for the 2k. Do you have the 2K inverter display at the One-Place location?

I suspect the smaller 600w doesn't have an Equalization mode.

Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

on the 36SG model there was only 4 options available that year. one of them was upgrading to a 2K inverter. i guess the dealer when he ordered it he did not add that option. then i bought it new and never thought of that being an issue. i do have a inverter display, but nothing noting the size at the One-Place. if i remember right, the cables are about that size. i probably will not do any upgrade since we are starting to put together are wants/must have list for a new coach in about a year.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

There is a spray sold at local auto stores that you can use on the terminals etc, keeps them pretty clean
Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There are two aerosol treatments that will help ...
  • Battery cable cleaner (essentially spray baking soda)
  • Battery cable protector
I use both about once a month on my battery hold downs and cables ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
I used Therm-Oil in my first set of 4 (6V) house batteries. Therm-Oil floats on battery acid and prevents off-gases.
I use plain old mineral oil in mine. Much cheaper and, AFIC, works just as well.
My Interstate U-2200's went just under 10 years and I never once ran an equalization charge on them. Wonder how long they would have lasted if I had done that?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery