Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
NOOB Navion Owner

Battery Isolator on 2017 Navion

After getting 24 pages of results searching for TRIK-L-START, all I really want was a specific instructions, and possibly a photo, on how to install one on a 2017 Navion 24G before removing the passenger seat. I have heard it might be tricky with a solar system. Somebody suggested covering the solar panels? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Pics near end of thread. You may need to login to see them, and/or create an account.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...t=31412&page=2
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
NOOB Navion Owner

Was the battery isolator under the passenger seat way back in 2008?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

No idea. Best guess would be probably.
I just found a possible answer to your question on another forum.
btw, it's a pretty good forum for all kinds of Sprinter related info.
You might want to consider joining, if you aren't already a member.

I don't use a TrikLStart on any of my vehicles. Personally, I prefer a different method of keeping my chassis battery charged.
I take advantage of the solar on my roof and my coach batteries, and just plug a Stanley FatMAx 8A battery charger like this one
https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-F...-BC8S/38243757
into one of the inverter supplied AC outlets (I use the one on my outside bathroom wall, next to the slide/couch) and run the cigar plug to the always hot chassis battery 12V outlet under the ash tray. By using a portable unit, I can use the charger/maintainer on my other vehicles, instead of installing additional wiring. I can also see the charging status indicators from my kitchen window, so I know what's going on out there at a glance. Works fine, but it's not for everyone.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Disconnect the house and chassis battery before you start. It's not hard really, the only issue for me was identifying what lead went to what battery. I also used the Winnebago wiring diagrams to help out. Mine is a 17NJ and the passenger seat is all that had to be pulled. I used 12 point sockets to remove the bolts.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Before pulling the seat, have you considered why they recommend putting it at the isolator rather than the batteries? Both work the same and take only slightly different methods to do them, so I opted for the battery location as easier/quicker. Only a few wires and they are color coded so no big thing there as long as you know which is the house batteries and which the chassis.
If I remember correctly it is one wire to chassis battery, one to coach and one to ground? I have connection points for the positive and ground and went to them rather than straight on the battery terminals.
Do disconnect the ground leads to all batteries before working on them but that is pretty good practice at any time.
Reasons for putting them at the isolator is mostly to get the wiring away from the fumes of the battery. It does make them last longer but overall, I can't see very much difference in cleaning a couple more wires if corrosion starts on the battery and things around it.
My option did not involve removing anything big like seats but it did let me set on the front steps instead of crawl under and find the isolator, so I'm okay with cleaning the wires if they ever need it!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Well my 17NJ it’s under the seat. No crawling around required.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Rather than putting the charger and going through all the work, disconnect the negative terminal. There is a negative terminal to the right by your gas pedal. The battery cable has a clip that is a push and pull to disconnect the battery. To disconnect your Mercedes batteries for the winter, just pop the cable off. ( Mercedes manual ) I never trickle charge and the battery was still running after 11 years in my first winnebago view. We are gone all winter and disconnecting the negative terminal on all my vehicles keeps the batteries healthy even through the freezing weather. I believe hot weather is harder on batteries.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

TRIK-L-START on 17V24V

When I installed the TRIK-L-START on my 2017 View 24V, I did not disconnect the battery cables. I first unhooked the chassis battery disconnect near the accelerator pedal and then flipped the house battery disconnect switch. I think this removes the power from the isolation relay that's located under the passengers seat.

I drilled a hole in the side of the seat frame and mounted the TRIK-L-START on the outside of the seat frame to that I could see the status LEDs on the unit.

Just in case I was mistaken about the power connections, I was very careful when I removed the nuts on each side of the isolation relay to install each lug to the TRIK-L-START. I made sure that no wires or lugs touched a grounded surface. I did one side at a time.

I always store my View with shore power connected. Now the chassis battery is always charged up.

Regards, Jerry

17V24V

Tags
battery