Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 3
Battery disconnect switch

I recently purchased a 2005 Winnebago Journey that is not equipped with a chassis battery disconnect switch. Out of necessity, I will be storing the MH for 2 to 3 months at a time in a location far from where I reside. It is not practical to remove the batteries, "store in a cool dry location, attach automatic trickle charger, etc., etc." as recommended by battery manufacturer's maint and service instructions.

I have been told that the installation of a battery disconnect switch would be a good investment in order to eleiminat the potential transient battery loads that could drain the battery charge over time. Any advice WRT a disconnect switch?

Thanks,

Bill
2005 Winnebago Journey
Invisibrake/2004 Honda CRV Toad
Bill1446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
I put "knife style" disconnect switches on my House and chassis batteries this year. It made a big difference in holding a charge. You could also just disconnect the negative battery cable. I am not sure about three months. How about a small solar charger, they might help, even placing it on the ground next to the MH.
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher
 
rskrbina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4
Hello Bill

I think as long as your storage time is 2-3 months and there is a good charge on those batteries at the time of storage, you will be fine in just taking off your negitive cables and let her sit. Put a charger to them when you take it out of storage. Any longer storage time (3 months or more) I would take my batteries out and bring them home connected to my battery minder smart charger. Always check your water levels if you have flooded batteries.
__________________
Rudy & Jenny
2014 Thor Four Winds 35SK, Super C
CRV, F-150 and Wrangler Toads
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
bobmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 555
You might want to think about adding a 100 watt solar panel to your roof. I am in the same boat as you are for storage and found even with the disconnect, there is still some drain although manageable. I added 2x100 watt panels and solved my problem. Was so impressed with the panels boondocking for a week in the mountains last summer that I added a third panel in the fall. A 100 watt setup would likely cost $250+ if you install yourself and purchase off eBay.
__________________
Bob
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
SCVJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA.
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
You might want to think about adding a 100 watt solar panel to your roof. I am in the same boat as you are for storage and found even with the disconnect, there is still some drain although manageable. I added 2x100 watt panels and solved my problem. Was so impressed with the panels boondocking for a week in the mountains last summer that I added a third panel in the fall. A 100 watt setup would likely cost $250+ if you install yourself and purchase off eBay.
This is exactly why I started with 100w of solar, and has since grown to 500w. The only time I touch the battery switch is simply to exercise it.
__________________
_______________________________

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 486
If the batteries are in good condition and charged up they should do fine with a 3 month storage. Mine are in the RV in a storage lot and have been left 3 months at a time. In my case, the chassis battery disconnect results in zero discharge and the house disconnect is knife switches on the battery grounds so they also has zero loss. If I just use the battery disconnect solenoid, I still get phantom loads on the house system. Besides a knife switch, there are other switches available:


Be aware, by putting a physical switch or disconnect the chassis battery you might lose the programming in the ECU and it will have to relearn your driving habits. My 5.9 Cummins/Allison combo has no ECU to lose programming.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,080
We used one of these in our 2001 Adventurer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1005/overview/

It was a little overkill but ours was a gas engine. It can handle a 2,500 amp starting load which is typical of larger diesel trucks.

The company makes several different styles and amperage ratings.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...nnect-switches

It was well worth the investment to have the batteries in good shape when we went to start it on cold winter days. It only took about an hour to install, and maybe an additional short battery cable depending on where you want to mount it.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
vapor3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1446 View Post
I recently purchased a 2005 Winnebago Journey that is not equipped with a chassis battery disconnect switch. Out of necessity, I will be storing the MH for 2 to 3 months at a time in a location far from where I reside. It is not practical to remove the batteries, "store in a cool dry location, attach automatic trickle charger, etc., etc." as recommended by battery manufacturer's maint and service instructions.

I have been told that the installation of a battery disconnect switch would be a good investment in order to eleiminat the potential transient battery loads that could drain the battery charge over time. Any advice WRT a disconnect switch?

Thanks,

Bill
2005 Winnebago Journey
Invisibrake/2004 Honda CRV Toad
Here is the engine battery disconnect switch I installed and use on our Adventurer. Works great and easy to install. I like the keyed version so I always know if I have disconnected the battery. Used to have some battery drain issues, but no more with this switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 014.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	56695  
__________________
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
2NewRVers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Here is the engine battery disconnect switch I installed and use on our Adventurer. Works great and easy to install. I like the keyed version so I always know if I have disconnected the battery. Used to have some battery drain issues, but no more with this switch.
Could your battery drain issue be that your batteries are not the same type(brand) looks like different cranking amps from what I see. One may be a lot newer or older than the other? I thought you are supposed to replace all batteries to match?
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 341
Here's the one I installed in the step/battery compartment. I have never had a dead battery since installing it. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gxzSXXstkyAnMabfeSUfeiuzdvPDAIaxzPLwstbqmiM.jpeg
Views:	570
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	56708  
__________________
Ricardo Tegarini
2005 Itasca Sunova
Workhorse Chassis W20
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
Could your battery drain issue be that your batteries are not the same type(brand) looks like different cranking amps from what I see. One may be a lot newer or older than the other? I thought you are supposed to replace all batteries to match?
The battery on the left is 1 of 2 deep cycle house batteries. There's a built in switch to shut them off. The battery on the right is the single chassis battery. The shut off switch vapor3000 installed only disconnects this battery.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
vapor3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
Could your battery drain issue be that your batteries are not the same type(brand) looks like different cranking amps from what I see. One may be a lot newer or older than the other? I thought you are supposed to replace all batteries to match?
The picture I posted was of the engine battery and one of two house batteries which do match and were changed at the same time. I have no engine battery drain problems with this switch. I use it as an anti theft device as much as anything.
__________________
Rick and Lynda Smith
2004 NEWMAR DSDP M-4011-SPTN 8.9 Liter Cummins
2011 GMC SLT 1500 4WD CREW toad
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
2NewRVers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
The picture I posted was of the engine battery and one of two house batteries which do match and were changed at the same time. I have no engine battery drain problems with this switch. I use it as an anti theft device as much as anything.
Awesome.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, battery disconnect


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad battery disconnect switch dengraham Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 17 08-31-2011 08:41 PM
Chassis battery disconnect switch wagonmaster2 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 7 08-17-2010 11:51 PM
Anyone installed a chassis battery disconnect switch? Catpowered Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 6 02-25-2008 08:02 PM
Battery Disconnect Switch FrontRangeRVer Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 08-11-2007 11:13 AM
Installation of a Battery Disconnect Switch SteveG Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 7 07-09-2007 07:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×