Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

battery charging

There is a notice on the battery tray that says to disconnect all cables before using an external charger.

How important is this when using an external charger?

I have read in this forum where some have installed hardwired chargers for use while plugged in to electrical power.

We do have a power shut off near the engine that would suffice for disconnecting power to the chassis battery?

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You have not said why you wish to use an external charger.
Engine battery will lose power just sitting due to parasitic load draw. This comes from radios and other things. I am not aware of a "switch' to cut the engine battery "off". One could easily install a throw switch. I use a trickle charger to keep the engine battery charged: Battery Tender 021-0123 Junior 12 volt .75 amp battery charger
I have no switch and use the above when plugged into shore power of a long time.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
There is a notice on the battery tray that says to disconnect all cables before using an external charger.

How important is this when using an external charger?

I have read in this forum where some have installed hardwired chargers for use while plugged in to electrical power.

We do have a power shut off near the engine that would suffice for disconnecting power to the chassis battery?
Hardy,
First off, yes, there is a "Warning" sticker on some of the battery trays in Winne'ies and Itascas. I'm not entirely sure of why other than I suppose it protect some electrical components on the coach, if one was to hook up a battery charger the wrong way and the batteries were disconnected. But, not too many folks hook them up wrong.

I'm one of the ones that has "hard wired" a three stage battery charger into the coach, to keep the chassis batteries topped off. In our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT, it did NOT come with a charging system for the chassis batteries while on shore power. So, it was necessary for me to do the install. That was before I learned of the Trik-L-Start system. Even after I did learn of it, I would have still installed the charger over the TLS system, just my preference.

Anyway, I had an open spot in the 110VAC breaker panel, at the foot of the bed. So, I hard wired that Napa charger with a new 15A breaker. Then, I drilled the bulkhead to the passenger side and ran the charger wires right out to the battery compartment. I tied them into the appropriate posts and it's been like that for two years now and works flawless. Those chassis batteries are always topped off. And, if there should ever be a problem with that charger, all I have to do is, open the padded cover at the foot of the bed and, flip the breaker to shut that battery charger off. To me, it's a great solution.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
You have not said why you wish to use an external charger.
Engine battery will lose power just sitting due to parasitic load draw. This comes from radios and other things. I am not aware of a "switch' to cut the engine battery "off". One could easily install a throw switch. I use a trickle charger to keep the engine battery charged: Battery Tender 021-0123 Junior 12 volt .75 amp battery charger
I have no switch and use the above when plugged into shore power of a long time.
Stevegd007,
Prior to '06, I think, there was no Chassis battery switch that I know of. On a friends '06 Itasca Meridian, there is a rotary battery switch for the chassis batteries, mounted just above the radiator and is a factory unit. I'm pretty sure that from that point on, they became standard but, no guaranties. I'll have to dig around some brochures, and info sheets to verify my statements. If I'm not mistaken, some folks on here have mentioned they have the same switch, in the same area.

Hope this info helps some.
Scott

P.S. Here's an '06 Meridian Brochure. All be it, printed sideways, if you scroll down a bit, you'll find that Chassis battery switch I mentioned.
Scott
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...ridian-bro.pdf
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You have been helpful. I will install a hardwired charger with breaker like described. Also, am reassured that using external charger will not cause damage if hooked up correctly to the battery terminals.

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hardy,
I just realized something. If I'm not mistaken, you should already have a chassis battery charging system installed, by the factory. It's the "Trik-L-Start" system I mentioned in a previous answer to you. I just noticed you have an '06 Meridian 36G. It's the same exact coach a friend of ours just got back in January. His has that TLS chassis battery charging system and, also if I recall, it's located above the generator access area.

Now, one, if you already know this and, just want additional charging of your chassis batteries, then that's up to you. If you don't know this, and, based on your findings of chassis battery voltage during shore power parking, you may have a faulty TLS system. I don't know if you know much about the TLS system or not but, basically, as I understand its operation, it's not a charger, it is a device that basically senses the voltage difference between the house batteries and the chassis batteries.

When it sees a .5 volt difference between the two, it will then allow "some" of the charging that's intended for the house batteries to flow to the chassis batteries, up to, about 5 amps. So, basically, your Inverter/Charger is doing ALL the charging, of all the house batteries and, all the chassis batteries, IF, you have a Trik-L-Start system. That system is basically, a VALVE that allows the voltage intended for the house batteries to be siphoned off to the chassis batteries.

So, just for grins, do you already have the Trik-L-Start system in your coach, located where my buddies is? If so, is it working, that is, if you take a voltage reading of your chassis batteries while not plugged into shore power, then take a reading AFTER you plug into shore power, is there a voltage increase?

Now, if for whatever reason, your coach did not receive the Trik-L-Start system (that's when Winne and Itasca started installing that system from the factory), then, no, you won't notice a voltage difference before and after you've plugged into shore power. In that case, your plan to install the "Stand alone" battery charger for your chassis batteries is still a good plan.

If that ends up being the case, I think the foot of your bed "should" be the same as ours but, I hesitate to make statements like that due to factory changes in things. But, if by chance it is, then that's where the breaker panel is located. Access to it is via the removal of the top wooden panel. Once that's removed, you'll see the back side of the breaker panel and a whole host of other wires, plumbing, and more. I mounted my battery charger on the far left corner of the inside of that area. Then, I ran the wires to the panel and the new breaker.

When it's all said and done, if I get down on my knees, (getting hard to do at this age) and look at the side/end of the bed, there's a vent there. I can see that charger through the vent and, based on the "LED" charge indicator on the front of the charger, I can easily tell what stage the charger's in.

Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have had a float charger (Harbor Freight) connected to the starting batteries for 7 years without ever disconnecting a battery cable. Never had a problem and my batteries now last twice as long than before using the float charger.

My starting batteries do not charge through the inverter when plugged in, only the house batteries.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have an external 3 stage charger wired up in my converter bay. I normally let the batteries bulk charge with the stock single stage Parallax 7455 converter/charger, then let the external charger top them off.

At home, I have BatteryMinders in my garage, umbilical corded to my house and chassis batteries. I also have 4 digit mini panel volt meters in my garage and MH to monitor the batteries.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging