Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have had some problems with Parasitic loads taking the charge out of my chassis battery. After some searching a lot of the members suggest a Trik-L-Start, sounds good. My main question then is, is it ok to leave the coach plug in to 120v while parked at home to keep the coach batteries charged? We try to use our rig about every 6 to 8 weeks. Thank you, Kelly

Toad is a 04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
SocalHodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have had some problems with Parasitic loads taking the charge out of my chassis battery. After some searching a lot of the members suggest a Trik-L-Start, sounds good. My main question then is, is it ok to leave the coach plug in to 120v while parked at home to keep the coach batteries charged? We try to use our rig about every 6 to 8 weeks. Thank you, Kelly

Old 09-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Kelly;

I leave my coach plugged in 12 months of the year with out any problem when I am not out traveling. Mine sits about 5 months over winter. I have a 3 stage charger so I don't lose much battery water. If you don't have a 3 stage charger you will need to check the water often. My guess would be every 3 to 4 weeks.

The Trik-L-Start (and other brands as well)is a good way to keep your chassis battery charged.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Don, I looked in my operation books and I have a Parallax 7400 non T Option. This is what the books say's "Check water level often" unclear at what they mean? each Day,Week or Month. It also say's disconnect batteries during extended periods of inactive use or storage following the battery manufacturer's recommendations? Again whats extended? Thanks Kelly

Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If your battery charger cannot properly float (13.X volts) your batteries (characteristic of a three-stage charger), I don't think I would leave your charger running all of the time like Don recommended. You would be better off with a stand-alone trickle charger.

If you do leave your charger running 7x24x365 I would check your battery water weekly until you get a feel for how often you will need to top off the water.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Since my biggest problem is losing charge on the chassis battery maybe I should look at a disconnect switch for it. I have not had any problems with the coach batteries, I always use the disconnect on them when its stored, I plug in about 4 days before and trip to start loading so the batteries are charged. Again my mine issue has been losing charge on the chassis battery.
Thanks Kelly

Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">--snip--Again my mine issue has been losing charge on the chassis battery.
Thanks Kelly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Then connect a trickle charger to the chassis battery.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I leave my coach plugged into shore power 24/7 while at home. To keep the chassis battery up, I put a wooden wedge under the MOM switch to keep the solenoid energized. With this setup my house batteries and the chassis battery have a constant 13.8 volts applied to them, keeping them at least 80% charged. I check the fluid levels in all 3 batteries once a month. I haven't had to add a drop of water to any of them in the 2 years since I bought it. I have the stock Parallax 7300 that came in my unit.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have used a good quality trickle charger,(battery tender brand) as John states for the last 4 years during the long Minnesota winters. I just rotate it between coach and chasis batteries every other week or so checking water often. While outside I check the coach inside and out. I dont see any reason to leave coach plugged in 24/7. One time each month while outside I run the generator and pray for an early spring. Five more years until retirement, then goodbye to Minnesota.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I replaced my old Paralax unit (89) with a more modern Intelli-Power unit with the charge wizard. The new unit has now been in service for almost 3 years with no problems at all. I leave the coach plugged in 24/7/365, and do still check the batteries, but have only had to add a dribble on a couple of occasions. I use water from my home dehumidifier which I believe is pretty much distilled water.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have installed and used the Trik-L-Start and it seems to maintain my engine starting (chassis) batteries.

I do not leave our three stage (Bulk, Acceptance, float) built in charger continuously plugged in. But neither do I allow the deep cycles batteries to discharge beyond 50% (12.1 volts)which seems to be the recommended deep cycle re-charge level. I do this, even though I have a three stage charger, to make sure that the batteries are not over charged. Some may say this is an over kill and they may be correct. But I am also conservative with regard to continuously leaving an unattended charger (We do not store our MH at home). Although I do leave it unattended overnight if necessary to complete a re-charge.

I have also installed Toad Charge, manufactured by the Tri-L-Start people. So far, I have had no dead toad batteries after a few long days of toad towing.

I have also discovered it is very helpful to have a portable three stage charger on board. If the chassis batteries go critical or the toad battery discharges the portable charger is very helpful.

I have searched the web for deep cycle battery maintenance and have found a lot of good information on best maintenance practices.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote