Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery Boost Solenoid Replacement 2012 VIA T

Anyone have pictures, notes, and/or videos of replacing the battery boost solenoid in a 2012 VIA T (or similar model)?

I have the new Cole Hersee solenoid in hand and a pretty good idea how to go about this replacement. I am wondering if anyone out there has any specific experience on this model RV...looking for lessons learned/hints, etc.?

Thanks and Happy 4th of July!
hungry81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

If it is the 3 terminal solenoid:

one contact goes to each battery, and the remaining one goes to the switch. Ground is found through the frame that the solenoid is bolted to, so look for corrosion on those points.

Disconnect both batteries before working on it. Pretty easy.

For the 4 terminal ones, the other line is a wired ground instead of through the frame.

It's a one-beer job.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Simple job but takes some care as you will be working with both the start battery as well as the coach and both of them are fine, IF you do some things to make it safe.

So first, do make sure you actually need to replace the solenoid. Have you checked that it is not actually passing current or is it possible there is a dirty cable not letting the voltage get from the solenoid to the coach batteries? There are often big "mega-fuses" inline which can get corroded and open the path.
I recommend checking for that before going to all the trouble to get to the solenoid.

First job will be the trick of getting space to work and that often requires taking the breaker panel loose to lay it aside, so first step is to make sure there is no chance of dropping or doing something to make a big arc! That can make a small job great big!!

But if really needing a new solenoid, take the negative battery cables off both coach and start battery first, then disconnect the AC power cord as a way to assure there is not power from inverter or converter in the space.

Pull anything like the breakers out of the way, then take a look at the cable markings to match up with this code.

There should be marking along the wire sides of the small wires:
Click image for larger version

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	183453

FM is the ground wire and attached to the mounting screw, LR is the signal from the dash area to make the solenoid work.

Then there are tape markers added to the battery cables as this code:

Name:	f battery cable code.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	183454

This is a snip of your RV solenoid:

Name:	2012 via.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	183455

Click this picture to get a betterview.
Look first t make sure you can tell which wire goes where to go back and it is pretty simple from there.
Getting the power off everything and being prepped makes it safe. Taking a picture first is one way to help put it back right but if the markers are stilll on, it is not bad either way. !
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Replace boost solenoid

Thanks Scotch and Morich for the advice and diagram!
Replacement of the solenoid went well. All-in-all as you both described, and was finishing off the first beer as I tightened up the last terminal nut!
Agree, without a doubt, that all electrical sources are required to be disconnected prior to the start of this job. Shore power, chassis and coach batteries must be disconnected. There are numerous exposed battery cable ends, ground wires, and an input wire being manipulated in a pretty tight space! I also needed to loosen two large Phillip's head screws on each side of the boost solenoid's frame, and getting a large screwdriver into that tight space could have easily shorted out the battery cables if still connected to 12v. Adding to the risk of short-circuiting is the need to loosen and temporarily displace the coach circuit breaker panel to expose the solenoid and it's wires. Once the CB panel's 4 screws are loosened, this panel can only be placed down flat underneath in the access storage area. The backside of the CB panel is now facing up with all it's exposed electrical connections right underneath the tight workspace.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

How hard is it working with your head stuck in that compartment? It's bad enough for me just putting the cover on. I haven't had to actually work in there yet.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Pretty awkward trying to get anything done for sure. The worst part of the solenoid job was remounting the new solenoid into the existing two threaded holes. This definitely was tricky because I could only get one arm and hand back in there to get the screws started to thread the two mounting screws back into the RV body. Very awkward and hard to see what I was doing. The mounts for the solenoid are under the two bigger side terminals. I used a lighted mirror to see the threaded holes, and that sort-of helped.

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement, solenoid