Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Batteries for 2018 View

Looks like I need new house batteries. Does anyone know the size group for those batteries? Any specific battery?

Any recommendations for a battery upgrade that does not require replacing other electrical components? We pretty much stick to developed campgrounds except for occasional overnighters at WalMart, etc.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Lee & Cec,
As you don't have a high battery demand (just overnight) I would replace them with the same. I looked at your manual (page 6-9), and they do not have the same terminals that my Minnie Winnie Group 24s have. I have found that the NAPA batteries are good, so I would go there and see if they can get you a matching lead/acid replacement.
Eagle5
Old 08-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Site Team

I believe the View comes with Group 27 sized batteries. Some folks have upgraded to Group 31 batteries for more amp hours. However the floor of the compartment is open on both ends for ventilation. The Group 31 batteries extend past the "floor" and hang over the open area.

Others here have put a new floor in there just laid on top of the existing. Some have had a new floor or sections of metal welded in to extend the floor.

6V and 12v Flooded Lead Acid Batteries need plenty of ventilation. While AGMs need much less - but still need some. And, Lithium don't need any.

6V Golf Cart batteries don't adhere to the usual "Group" sizes. They are uniform so you can look up their size. They are not too large but they are taller.

If you want good powerful House batteries that will support a little dry camping then two 12v AGM true deep cycle batteries in Group 31 size will provide 200 aH of storage. Where Group 27 will provide about 150 aH of storage.

For lead acid batteries the larger the size (Group number) the more room they have for more and thicker plates which means more amp hours.

You'll find true deep cycles costing $200 to $300 each. While dual purpose "Marine/RV Deep Cycle" batteries will usually cost closer to $100. The dual purpose batteries are really outboard motor boat batteries for starting an outboard motor or running a fishing trolling motor. They are not idea for RV usage but you see a lot of folks using them due to the low cost.

Two 6v Golf Cart batteries are the least expensive way to get a lot of deep cycle amp hours - but they require consistent maintenance and they are also the heaviest option. I think I've heard from others with the View say that they were able to use these. But you need to measure and check the physical size and especially the height.

None of these options would require any changes in charging equipment.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced the G27 under the step batteries with a pair of Windynation 100Ah each AGMs. Here is a pair for $380 with jumper cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRND6MF...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They just fit in the 26 1/2" long space. Golf cart batteries are usually too tall to fit in the under step space. Wish they would fit.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I replaced the G27 under the step batteries with a pair of Windynation 100Ah each AGMs. Here is a pair for $380 with jumper cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRND6MF...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They just fit in the 26 1/2" long space. Golf cart batteries are usually too tall to fit in the under step space. Wish they would fit.

David
Assume you have a View. Some of the reviews are very negative on the Windynation batteries. What is your opinion?

It appears that the Zamp controller is compatible with AGM batteries. Did you have to change yours?

Did you have to buy new tie downs for the batteies, or did the stock ones fit?
Old 08-27-2021, 06:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Answers in bold below. Also responded more fully to your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLee View Post
Assume you have a View.
No I have a new Thor Axis.
Quote:
Some of the reviews are very negative on the Windynation batteries. What is your opinion.
Good.

Quote:
It appears that the Zamp controller is compatible with AGM batteries. Did you have to change yours?
Yes, I had to change the settings.

Quote:
Did you have to buy new tie downs for the batteies, or did the stock ones fit?
Stock ones worked fine.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
Living The Dream

After modifying the battery compartment, I went with two Trojan T-1275 batteries.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-1275/
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I went we these. No modification needed.

Lifeline GPL-4CT
Old 08-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I was able to upgrade my 2018 Navion with Trojan T125 golf cart batteries. These are 6 volt batteries that increased my capacity from 140 amp-hours (from existing NAPA 12 volt batteries) to 240 amp-hours with the Trojans. I spent a little over $300 for the upgrade and was able to just reconfigure the existing cables to go from the parallel to series configuration. The Trojans fit perfectly in the existing battery area under the steps. I did have to modify the clamping method for keeping the batteries from moving around.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree1 View Post
I was able to upgrade my 2018 Navion with Trojan T125 golf cart batteries. These are 6 volt batteries that increased my capacity from 140 amp-hours (from existing NAPA 12 volt batteries) to 240 amp-hours with the Trojans. I spent a little over $300 for the upgrade and was able to just reconfigure the existing cables to go from the parallel to series configuration. The Trojans fit perfectly in the existing battery area under the steps. I did have to modify the clamping method for keeping the batteries from moving around.

In what way did you modify the clamps? Do you have a photo?
Old 08-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

My advice is to NOT buy what you had; and you have 3 options to stay within your requirements.

1. Go and buy simple Maintenance Free batteries (Brand does not matter, where you buy from is relevant though).

2. Go buy the Duracell AGM from Sam's, they are not true Deep Cycle AGM but they have very good price. It is what I was gowning to buy.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...gm/prod3590232

3. I bought VMax tanks but the price has gone through the roof, I have no idea why, but they were the best batteries I could find. Most Battery experts will immediately start to crow about Golf Cart 6V, but there are other options in 12v that do the same thing and in the case of the SLR 125, the VMax tanks is better than any GC options I have seen (Size, ah and use to be cost)

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR125-12V...tery_p_38.html

If I had to buy batteries today, I would go with Option #2, but my VMax tanks are awesome. I am glad I bought them when I did ( a lot cheaper), note there was NOTHING wrong with my NAPA FLA, I just hated them. The watering requirements and not enough capacity for my needs. I tried to give the NAPA FLA away for free but no one wanted, they were only about a year old
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

In what way did you modify the clamps? Do you have a photo?

I don't have a photo, but I will try to take a couple of pics. I basically fabricated a plastic piece that spans the gap between the the two batteries that is a few inches wide. I then used a length of threaded rod that runs through the plastic piece and down to just below the batteries and connects to a metal bar that spans across the bottom of the battery tray. This secures the inner sides of each battery. For the outer sides of the batteries, I just use a bungee cord that connects to the carrying clip on one battery and wraps around the bottom of the battery tray and up to the battery clip of the other battery. The OEM clamp does not work because the golf cart batteries are about an inch taller than the original batteries.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Anyone have any experience with Interstate AGMs like this one?

I use Interstate batteries for automotive purposes.

This battery provides 110Ah and at 12.99x6.81x8.35 it appears they will fit in the View under-step compartment (~28x9x12).
Old 08-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with Interstate AGMs like this one?

I use Interstate batteries for automotive purposes.

This battery provides 110Ah and at 12.99x6.81x8.35 it appears they will fit in the View under-step compartment (~28x9x12).
No, not the Interstate AGM, but my 2017 242 Limited Yamaha came brand new with 2 Interstate FLA and they work with precision, no sign of any corrosion , sulfating and look brand new. The boat application I primarily for starting engines, and the other is radio / backup battery. No trolling motor etc. To be honest if they make it two more years, when they do go, I will likely go with the same or new AGM at that time in future.

As far as the Interstate AGM, you cannot go wrong, it fits and has the trusted name brand nationwide. I think any Group 31 will fit in the View but may be tight as mine was, I had to remove the Chassis battery to get the two new VMax Tanks in. I chose the Vmax tanks for RV Pure Deep Deep Cycle application because I put a premium on AHs. I got 125 ah each, these only have 110 ah each. The Interstate AGM also cost $200 more than what I paid at the time ( 4 months ago). Both VMax Tank batteries arrived at my front door in some of the best packaging I had ever seen, with no tax or shipping cost.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
No, not the Interstate AGM, but my 2017 242 Limited Yamaha came brand new with 2 Interstate FLA and they work with precision, no sign of any corrosion , sulfating and look brand new. The boat application I primarily for starting engines, and the other is radio / backup battery. No trolling motor etc. To be honest if they make it two more years, when they do go, I will likely go with the same or new AGM at that time in future.

As far as the Interstate AGM, you cannot go wrong, it fits and has the trusted name brand nationwide. I think any Group 31 will fit in the View but may be tight as mine was, I had to remove the Chassis battery to get the two new VMax Tanks in. I chose the Vmax tanks for RV Pure Deep Deep Cycle application because I put a premium on AHs. I got 125 ah each, these only have 110 ah each. The Interstate AGM also cost $200 more than what I paid at the time ( 4 months ago). Both VMax Tank batteries arrived at my front door in some of the best packaging I had ever seen, with no tax or shipping cost.
I looked at the VMax batteries based on your recommendation, and the specs look great, the best of any I have seen. However, everyone seems to be sold out. The earliest anyone promised to ship was mid to late September. The Interstates look like the next best choice based on the specs.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I looked at the VMax batteries based on your recommendation, and the specs look great, the best of any I have seen. However, everyone seems to be sold out. The earliest anyone promised to ship was mid to late September. The Interstates look like the next best choice based on the specs.
Another reason I like the VMax was Customer Support, when I was about to buy the Duracells from Sams; I called VMax Direct with few questions about my converter etc. I was shocked they actually answered the phone and took the time to explain everything. They then offered to take my order over the phone. I got a really nice discount It may be worth a shot, see what happens, depending on where you live you may or may not have to pay taxes? They shipped fast, and each battery was serialized.

But to your point, the Interstate AGMs would be my next choice. I don't recall anyone having a pure AGM 12v over 110ah? All things being equal; I will go with Interstate Batteries every time. But I can go 2 full days with my 250 AHs (125ahs @50%). I never need to go that long; so at the moment, I don't even need the Lithium's; as I never hit the 50% SOC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210419_201642.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	180703   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210420_202753.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	180704  

Old 08-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Interstate AGM batteries should be just fine.

I had a couple of Interstate 12V Group 29 Deep Cycle AGM "wheelchair" batteries in our RV and they performed flawlessly for 7-8 years.

I didn't have to change any other component in my RV's electrical system in order to keep them charged. The RV's stock 13.6 volt fixed voltage converter (when on hookups or using the generator) and the engine alternator kept them topped up.

Definetly go with AGM batteries. They just sit there and do their thing year after year with no maintenance required.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2018 View 24J. I put two lithium Lion Energy batteries UT-1300(Costco $699/ea) under steps in a battery tray(Camco Group-24) rewired using 1/0 cable. Also added two more UT-1300’s in storage compartment next to steps.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmonger View Post
I have a 2018 View 24J. I put two lithium Lion Energy batteries UT-1300(Costco $699/ea) under steps in a battery tray(Camco Group-24) rewired using 1/0 cable. Also added two more UT-1300’s in storage compartment next to steps.

How many AHs do you have available?

How many AH do you need or use daily?

What was your total investment? sounds like at least $2,800 + tax, some rewiring anything else with converter or alternator?
Old 09-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I use the batteries for Hotpoint microwave, Induction cooker (Nuwave 600/900/1500 watt), Coffee maker, TV, TiVo, Refrig when propane runs out. I added Xantrex XC2K INC/Chgr, rewired my main panel to the XC. I have a total of 420ah from batteries and 350 watts of solar. Usage varies but seems to be about 30-40% of capacity per day.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, view