Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2021, 06:43 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmonger View Post
I use the batteries for Hotpoint microwave, Induction cooker (Nuwave 600/900/1500 watt), Coffee maker, TV, TiVo, Refrig when propane runs out. I added Xantrex XC2K INC/Chgr, rewired my main panel to the XC. I have a total of 420ah from batteries and 350 watts of solar. Usage varies but seems to be about 30-40% of capacity per day.
That actually sounds very accurate. Lets assume you consume 30% / day. That is about 125 ahs / day.

I have 250ah total; but I can only use 125ah @50% SOC on my AGMs, we use about 75 ahs per day; but we don't have Induction cooker, coffee maker, or TV. We do a have microwave, but we never use unless we have shorepower or the generator on; it is NOT on our Inverter; so we can't run it off batteries anyway. So to consume our 75 ah / day it is for outdoor fridge, inside fridge is on propane (we have never come close to running low on propane); we have 3 TVs but normally we may have 2 on; lights and that is about it.

Our AGS is set to recharge the batteries at 12.5VDC which is well above the 50% SOC. We can go well into day 2 before the AGS will kick on, when it does it runs about 2 hours before it shuts back down.

If I had your lithium's assuming I wanted to go down to 80% SOC; I could go 4 days before my genset would kick on I like that but it sounds like you may have spent $4,000 or more? I only spent $500 to dump my NAPA FLA. Also, when we travel, I try to run my genset at least 2 hrs every day. When I do; I have just given myself double the capacity. But if I was someplace where genset could not be used and I had a much larger Inverter and greater energy demand like a Induction Cooker, Microwave, Residential fridge it could all make sense, but probably out my price range for now. My hope is that 5 to 6 years from now, my next set may be Lithium's assuming I get a new coach.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I didn’t make purchases all at once. I spread costs out over 2+ years. I only have 100+ hrs on my Gen. maybe run 30 mins a month.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I just changed out the batteries in my Minni 26a. I went with Duracell batteries from Batteries Plus Bulbs. As for charging, AGM batteries are designed to be charged at a low rate and slowly. Unless your converter/charger can tell the difference between an AGM and flooded battery it will charge the AGM like it's a flooded battery, which will work but it also will shorten the life of the battery.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
I just changed out the batteries in my Minni 26a. I went with Duracell batteries from Batteries Plus Bulbs. As for charging, AGM batteries are designed to be charged at a low rate and slowly. Unless your converter/charger can tell the difference between an AGM and flooded battery it will charge the AGM like it's a flooded battery, which will work but it also will shorten the life of the battery.
That is why you should check with the battery mfg before buying to ensure your converter charger is compatible with thee batteries.

VMax tanks will tell you that you have a one of intelligent units that has programs that automatically adjust. I have a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power. I don't have to do anything. My unit calculates if it is even in long term storage versus just sitting idle. Now in reality, my unit is never stored in that sense. I do go weeks at a time purposely with no shorepower just to verify no voltage drop and no charging needed. My RV is always at home.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #25
foo
Winnebago Camper

What’d you end up going with, McLee? The house batteries in my 2018 View are dying, and I’d like to upgrade to AGM. Looks like those VMax are back in stock now.

Tags
batteries, view