Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #21
Site Team

I looked in your 2003 Itasca Sunflyer owners manual. You have a "Aux Battery Switch" near the entry steps of the RV. That's the battery disconnect. It should be on whenever you use the coach but when you store it - put it away for storage - turn it off.

If you don't have a copy of your owners manual you can get a PDF online from Winnebago's website:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 11.54.32 AM.png
Views:	90
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	172349  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Thanks! I've seen that but I don't believe it is a kill switch in the manner that people have pointed out.
iezzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #23
Site Team

That's the battery disconnect that we've all been suggesting your turn off when you store your coach. You should charge your batteries to FULL charge before storing and hit that switch when you exit the coach when it's in storage - UNLESS you plug it in during storage. That will disconnect all the small parasitic draws on your batteries and help prevent them from discharging while in storage. Some folks take extra steps and disconnect the batteries physically or install a simple knife switch on the battery terminals to easily disconnect everything.

When I owned travel trailers I removed my battery connections when storing and when storing for long periods of time I'd remove the batteries and bring them to my house and put a trickle charger on them.

Now that I have a Class A with over 200lbs of house batteries, I just use the Battery switch in the step well. I do have solar panels though that keep my batteries fully charged while in storage.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Many Class A's have a 'partial' master shutoff switch that only works on some items.

Other items can still draw from the batteries. Like the memories of the engine, tranni, and radio, along with the safety devices like the Propane, CO detectors. Then there is the step circuit that is always ready for operation, even with the storage switch 'Off'. If you can set the storage switch to off, open the door and the steps extend, then not all loads are disconnected from the batteries.

Why they do this sort of thing is obvious for the most part...the engine and tranni memories are there to 'learn' your driving patterns so every time you start the engine, it's ready to behave like you expect. Tranni memory is for the same reason. The radio memory is so you don't have to search for and save all your favorite stations repeatedly. The safety devices often are directly wired for obvious safety reasons...the fewer connections between the safety device and power the better. Same with the steps (people have stepped out when they don't extend and were badly hurt or even died), you don't want someone shutting off the storage switch with the door closed and then stepping out into the void...

And of course, there's always the economic reason the manufacturers often invoke..."we can save a couple bucks if we just wire this circuit directly to the battery main with a fuse! Less wire!"

About the only way to be sure, is to actually measure the current drawn from the battery when the storage switch is 'Off'. I could do that, but since just disconnecting the battery grounds is so much easier, that's all I do. Others like the switch. Years ago it was hard finding a switch rated high enough to work correctly without going bad too soon from overload. Now I see they're either made heavier duty, or they just changed their ad copy.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Info on Master Blade Switch

I used the following from Amazon:

Ampper Side Post Knife Blade Master Switch, 12V / 24V Battery Disconnect Switch Isolator for Marine Car Boat RV ATV Vehicles (with Long Bolt). Cost $14.97.
terrylogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries