Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Batteries and winter

I think I know the answer but.. if storing a MH for winter in Minnesota (inside un heated pole barn) do I need to take out all 3 batteries and store in a heated area?
Or can I hook up a trickle charger and leave them in the MH?
What's the best mouse deterrent? Bounce sheets in the engine compartment and Irish spring soap in the coach, plus some traps?
Should I put bounce sheets around the tires? Plug the exhaust pipes? I'm hesitant to use decon or glue traps because my dogs could get into them.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can't speak to the freeze question as you do have an extreme that I have not dealt with.
But on the rodent thing, I feel there is a better solution than trying to keep them out as I want to kill them!

I do not favor traps as they are so limited to the "one shot and done" thing. I favor rat bars that are placed so people or animals never get close to them but rodents do.

Looking at the RV, you can spot where rodents are most likely to come in through holes in the underbody and near most of those holes is often some place where pets and people don't go often. Like the wet bay wehere the cord hole may not be tight enough? Lots of space for rodents to get in but a really good place for a rat bar as nobody goes there except me!

Then I move to looking for spaces under cabinets and drawers which are enclosed and really make nice rodent nest sites but nobody gets into that space without taking a drawer out or pulling some panel loose. Under the sink and vanity are two common places for me to bait as there is a lot of open space and I can just drop it in behind things.

The bait has the advantages of them going looking for it as well as I can see if something is chewing it! The bait is designed so there is no smell as they dry out. A couple around laying on the engine and wiring also make me feel better.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi FotoGuzzi,
I love the idea of Bounce dryer sheets to repel the rodents. Once in a while, squirrels crawl into the valley of my V-10 and leave debris in there, and I would rather just repel them. Does the Irish Spring work better than Bounce?
I really like these Trickle Chargers:
Schumacher Fully Automatic Battery Charger
As the 6 amp version is the same cost as the 3 amp versions which I own, why not go with those? You can back-feed the coach battery through the cigarette lighter socket, and I believe you can do the same for the house batteries. The 2002 built-in house chargers are not designed to be left plugged-in during storage, as the voltage goes too high. If you can pull the fuse on the Winnebago Charging System, you should be fine.
A charged lead-acid battery does not freeze.
Eagle5
Old 08-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Used cat liter spread around the tires and jack seems to work for me. I refresh it every couple of weeks. For MH, maybe sprinkle some on the ground under the engine compartment and any other open areas under the coach.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Fully charged lead acid batteries will freeze at about -80F. Does it get that cold in Minnesota? But discharged batteries can freeze much closer to zero.

So keep your batteries fully charged on a trickle charger and you will be fine.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #6
Site Team

It looks like the coldest it has ever been in the lower 48 is -70°F.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest.php
Old 08-07-2021, 04:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Smile

I would not remove the batteries! The reason is one pole barn is heated. Two put some power to the unit to keep house batteries charging and the trickle to the engine batteries. Just check water level when you go out and start the motor and the generator monthly.

As for rodents: I have used the bell and howell plug in rodent noise things for along time. I keep them plugged in 24/7 and have not a problem. Winter storage I also add moth balls every where. I take small plastic cups punch holes in the sides, put a dozen or so moth balls in each cup. I put the cups all over the coach. I think I put out about 20 cups. Have not had a problem.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Eagle5, it just feels like -80 sometimes, you know wind chill..
Marine359, never heard of the cat litter deal, I'll get some.
Be happy, it's an UNheated pole barn..won't the rig smell like moth balls forever after? We use them in the boat covers but it's intense smell when we take he cover off.
I always thought the noise things were snake oil. Those deer whistle things were proven useless by our county sheriff who did a study on them.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi FotoGuzzi,
You can back-feed the coach battery through the cigarette lighter socket, and I believe you can do the same for the house batteries. The 2002 built-in house chargers are not designed to be left plugged-in during storage, as the voltage goes too high. If you can pull the fuse on the Winnebago Charging System, you should be fine.
A charged lead-acid battery does not freeze.
Eagle5
So don't use shore power to plug in the trickle chargers unless I find and pull the fuse for the on board charger? I can plug in shore power to a 20amp? (I think, I'll check that)
Or could I pull the connectors off the batteries so not hooked up to the rig?
Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoguzzi View Post
So don't use shore power to plug in the trickle chargers unless I find and pull the fuse for the on board charger? I can plug in shore power to a 20amp? (I think, I'll check that)
Or could I pull the connectors off the batteries so not hooked up to the rig?
You can power your motorhome with a 20 amp to 30 amp 120 VAC adapter, but obviously not to run high-current accessories, such as your air conditioner.
If you cannot "pull the plug" on your built-in house battery charger, then do not leave your shore power connection plugged-in during storage.
If you power your trickle chargers directly to the pole barn outlet, then I believe you can still back-charge your house batteries through a house cigarette lighter power port. Check your voltages with a multi-meter to be sure you are getting the correct maintenance voltage, which should be about 13.05 VDC.
Here is how I winterize my 22M.
Eagle5
Old 08-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Please don’t use poisonous bate for vermin control. Owls and other raptors often eat the dead rat/mouse and die themselves.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

For nearly 20 years now, I have used the ultrasonic, plug-in, pest controls. I have NEVER had pests come into any of the three RVs/Campers while using these. However, this past winter, my RV was in a location where it was not plugged in to 110,in a rural area, in the middle of a wooded, mouse-haven area. I purchased two battery operated ultrasonic pest controls and again, NO pests, mice or otherwise. Pest Contro PR23 Battery Operated, White/Red, available from Amazon. These things do work! Best $70 I've ever spent. Mice can do a lot of damage in a very short winter!
phowey63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoguzzi View Post
I think I know the answer but.. if storing a MH for winter in Minnesota (inside un heated pole barn) do I need to take out all 3 batteries and store in a heated area?
Or can I hook up a trickle charger and leave them in the MH?
What's the best mouse deterrent? Bounce sheets in the engine compartment and Irish spring soap in the coach, plus some traps?
Should I put bounce sheets around the tires? Plug the exhaust pipes? I'm hesitant to use decon or glue traps because my dogs could get into them.
I leave my batteries outside in Alaska all winter. I disconnect the negitave to keep the stereo and navigation from drawing power for memory. I have no problems.
jonmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I leave my batteries outside in Alaska for the winter. I disconnect the negative to stop drainage from electronics drainage for memory,ie stereo , navigation etc. I have no problem.
jonmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmurray View Post
I leave my batteries outside in Alaska for the winter. I disconnect the negative to stop drainage from electronics drainage for memory,ie stereo , navigation etc. I have no problem.
Yes, if they're fully charged, disconnect them and they'll be fine. Heat is what kills batteries not cold. It takes more current to start an engine when it's really cold but that's a different story.

Tags
batteries, winter