Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bass Pro Deep Cycle batteries

does anyone have an option about them? they are reasonably priced so I was just curious.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots depend on your use.
I find deep cycle lead/acid batteries fit well for what we do with our RV as we do not go out where we don't plug in for several days, so all we need is batteries that will run things while we are on the road like the frig, furnace controls and blower, lights and small stuff.
Two good deep cycle batteries are good for that and since there are very few companies who make batteries, I find almost all that have the same specs on them will be the same battery in a different case and different label. I run mostly Wal-mart brand for ease of finding and ease of replacement if they do fail.

But if you do want to go for long terms without electricity to recharge the batteries, you may feel it worth the time, effort and certainly expense to go for different batteries which can give you far more long lasting power but at a really much higher price!

Much depends on what you want to do and how you want to take care of the batteries or rebuild things.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The reviews on the GR27 AGM models are mostly good, but in the description, they state they're "hybrid" technology, designed for storage and starting. Sometimes hybrid batteries aren't quite as robust as true deep cycle batteries, and they may wear out faster depending on your usage. The warranty is 12 months replace, 13-36 months prorate, so that's not too bad.
Just looked at some of the other ones, and they have rated their amp hours @10 hours, so be careful of what the posted amp hours will be. 20 amp hour rate (half?) is what most sellers use.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Any "deep cycle" battery with Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) in it's specs is actually a dual purpose battery, not a true deep cycle battery.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

True deep cylcle batteries will provide greater capacity and are designed for slow deep discharge unlike a battery that will be used to provide a high rate of charge for a starter motor. On boats where a single battery will be used to start the outboard and to operate a trolling motor then a dual purpose battery is a good choice.

For an RV house battery you will want a true deep cycle battery that will have much thicker plates as one finds on ones for use with golf carts and forklifts and similar applications.This will cost more but provide more charge and last longer and are a better investment.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

In addition to golf cart batteries, you can buy 12V true deep cycle AGM batteries. I bought two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
gbsinna

I worked for Bass Pro for a number of years and got to know their batteries are produced by Deka. They are very competitive in terms of traditional lead acid deep cycle batteries, but are much different when compared to AGM. I prefer AGM based on our solar recharging and overall usage.
Lostwolfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use these same batteries on my secondary solar system the one that provides power to my ham radio station (radios, digital systems, lights and computer). Work very well
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries