Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

a. I have a 2006 Itasca 35U. Basement air conditioner working fine (both compressors) drawing 20-22 amps with fan on high while on shore power. With same outside air conditions (90 degrees),on Gen set, with A/C on, it (AC) only draws-idicates 12-13 amps on Powerline. Is only one compressor operating?

b. In hot on the road travel conditions, can I safely run GenSet and basement A/C to augment dash A/C?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

a. I have a 2006 Itasca 35U. Basement air conditioner working fine (both compressors) drawing 20-22 amps with fan on high while on shore power. With same outside air conditions (90 degrees),on Gen set, with A/C on, it (AC) only draws-idicates 12-13 amps on Powerline. Is only one compressor operating?

b. In hot on the road travel conditions, can I safely run GenSet and basement A/C to augment dash A/C?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you are only drawing 12 amps only 1 compressor is running. Either you have the thermostat set on low cool or the energy management is not seeing enough amps to run everything so it shut down one compressor. Yes you can run the generator while driving we have for 35 years.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Gotthelf:
If you are only drawing 12 amps only 1 compressor is running. Either you have the thermostat set on low cool or the energy management is not seeing enough amps to run everything so it shut down one compressor. Yes you can run the generator while driving we have for 35 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Energy management still shows #2 Compressor running (light On)while only drawing the 12 amps on Gen Set.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

a. If you cooled down the coach while hooked to shore power, then unhooked and started the genset, the thermostat may only be calling for 1 compressor. Inside temp as measured by the thermostat must be at least 2 degrees warmer then the set temp for #2 to be called. Light on the EMS only means that power is available to #2, not that it's necessarily running. But you probably knew that....

b. Yes, by all means use the basement air. You won't even need the dash air. I've been told several times by dealer service personnel that you'll save fuel by running the gen with basement air and turning off the dash air. I've never seen documented proof of that, but it's nice to have the whole coach cool. And , at least in my rig, it keeps the cockpit much cooler then the dash air...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

More than likely, you have a tripped breaker on your generator - thus giving you only 1/2 your A/C. Pull off the cover to the generator and you will see two breakers. Check to see if 1 has tripped - in fact - trip both then turn them both back on. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I agree with Dmadzia - I was just about to go back and add that to my post...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Energy management still shows #2 Compressor running (light On)while only drawing the 12 amps on Gen Set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Light on EMS does not mean it is running -- only that EMS has not shut down power to it. Same for WH, refrigerator, etc. Light on the EMS panel does not mean they are on.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

How big is your generator???
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #10

when you are within 2 degrees of your thermostat (wall..true air, not roof airs), only one compressor will run. Move your thermostat down a couple more degrees and watch your amps increase when the other compressor starts. After running for a bit, you will have about 19 or so amps...both running.

My 5500 Onan will run both compressors fine....

And we also run our gen set with the air conditioners when we drive when it is hot outside....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yes both are working the power center is only looking at one side of the power cercit. when you run the grnset you have two live wires one of which is not in line with the power center.

2 YES it is ok to run the genset and ac when driving as amater of fact it is reconmended to do just that as a way to work your genset to keep it in tip top shap.

I have the winnie Adventurer 35U and I run my genset to use the heat pumps or the ac to keep the unit warm or cool as it uses less gas to run the genset to work the ac than it dose to use the dash air.

hope this helps you out

Mark