Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Question: I have a 30 AMP 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 35U and we have a trip coming up next month to South East/Fl. Friends have offered us a nearby parking connection to their garage 15 AMP standard wall AMP. Will my EMS power panel recognize it as the 20 AMP source and will it run A/C compressor #1 (11-12 Amp) if all other appliances etc are on gas? Any thoughts/past experience here?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Question: I have a 30 AMP 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 35U and we have a trip coming up next month to South East/Fl. Friends have offered us a nearby parking connection to their garage 15 AMP standard wall AMP. Will my EMS power panel recognize it as the 20 AMP source and will it run A/C compressor #1 (11-12 Amp) if all other appliances etc are on gas? Any thoughts/past experience here?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

When you plug in. You will have to change the EMS setting to the 20 AMP manualy. There is a switch on the EMS. It will show what you can run with 20 AMP.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Like Tom says, the EMS has to be manually set for 20 amp service. For only 15 amp service, have a voltage tester or some way of keeping an eye on the AC voltage and reduce the load when you drop below say about 110 volts (assuming the 15 amp service breaker doesn't trip first.) Your EMS assumes you will have 20 amp service so you will need to be actively involved in monitoring the situation.

Not sure if you will be able to run the AC on 15 amp service - maybe depending on the voltage drop. We have experience with 20 amp service, but not 15.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You might make it on 1 A/C compressor on 15 amps and you might not.

Run the frig on propane, not electric, the water heater on propane and you might have to disconnect your power converter.

If the power out of the garage, it may be 20 amps instead of 15 amps.

Your friends offer might cause problems with the home owners association....better have him check into that issue.

Ken
Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

see if the house your staying at has a washer and dryer close by i use my dryer plug when i bring bus home to load its 30amps works both airs at same time..............warning temps done here are high 90s and humid......hurricanes are coming otherwise we live in paradise.....................
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Like Tom says, the EMS has to be manually set for 20 amp service. For only 15 amp service, have a voltage tester or some way of keeping an eye on the AC voltage and reduce the load when you drop below say about 110 volts (assuming the 15 amp service breaker doesn't trip first.) Your EMS assumes you will have 20 amp service so you will need to be actively involved in monitoring the situation.

Not sure if you will be able to run the AC on 15 amp service - maybe depending on the voltage drop. We have experience with 20 amp service, but not 15. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use surge protector with auto disconnect for low voltage/feqs.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 03 CORVETTE:
see if the house your staying at has a washer and dryer close by i use my dryer plug when i bring bus home to load its 30amps works both airs at same time..............warning temps done here are high 90s and humid......hurricanes are coming otherwise we live in paradise..................... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't mentally picture connection from my RV 30 amp plug to dryer connect. Assist please with link to picture/part for connect.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
Like rvten said you have to select it manually, but I don't think a 20 amp service will be enough to run/start even one compressor. If I remember I tried it a while ago and the startup surge is to much for the 15/20 amp service to handle. Even if it gets up and running the house wiring might not be able to handle the heat...generated by the demand.

I don't know if you noticed but even plugged into a 30 amp and the AC on max the draw is sometimes to much and the plug gets very hot at times. If I had to do it again I would change the 30 to a 50 amp service in our coach. More times then not I use the 50 to 30 adapter works better and doesn't over-heat the breaker in some RV Parks...
Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about start A/C on genset...plug in to 15-20 amp...shutdown genset when compressors stabilize and expect # 2 to drop off as EMS moves to 20? Run on compressor #1.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
You might make it on 1 A/C compressor on 15 amps and you might not.

Run the frig on propane, not electric, the water heater on propane and you might have to disconnect your power converter.

If the power out of the garage, it may be 20 amps instead of 15 amps.

Your friends offer might cause problems with the home owners association....better have him check into that issue.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point about homeowners assc. It'll only be for one night...but???
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

[/QUOTE]

I can't mentally picture connection from my RV 30 amp plug to dryer connect. Assist please with link to picture/part for connect.[/QUOTE]if dryer connection is a 30amp three prong connection.......if you come out of rv with 50 amp plug use a 50/30 amp knockdown..........works just like at a campground...also in my town i have to get a permit to park in driveway even for overnite
Old 07-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 03 CORVETTE:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't mentally picture connection from my RV 30 amp plug to dryer connect. Assist please with link to picture/part for connect.[/QUOTE]if dryer connection is a 30amp three prong connection.......if you come out of rv with 50 amp plug use a 50/30 amp knockdown..........works just like at a campground...also in my town i have to get a permit to park in driveway even for overnite[/QUOTE]I have 30 amp hardwire plug. Gotta reach the dryer plugin....I have 15-20 amp extension 50ft wire and 50 male to 30 female knockdowm..also 30 to 15 knockdown...
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

go get a 50 foot 30 amp from camping world and make sure the dryer plug at the house is same terminals...............
Old 07-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
--snip--
I use surge protector with auto disconnect for low voltage/feqs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So do I but mine will cut out on low voltage that is much lower (~102V) than I like to run. I start my power management procedure when I see the voltage sag to ~109 volts. I have encountered many marginal power situations in Canada, Alaska and state parks and never has my SurgeGuard cut out on low voltage. Running anything with an inductive load (like the AC fan & compressor) for extended periods with low voltage is very deleterious to the load.

We were even in a park outside of Denali National Park where the campground power was supplied by a large generator on the property. The voltage and line frequency was all over the place but never dramatic enough to trip the SurgeGuard. Ergo, I always keep an eye on the power at an unfamiliar campground.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ergo, I always keep an eye on the power at an unfamiliar campground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An excellent idea.

I do the same.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Question: I have a 30 AMP 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 35U and we have a trip coming up next month to South East/Fl. Friends have offered us a nearby parking connection to their garage 15 AMP standard wall AMP. Will my EMS power panel recognize it as the 20 AMP source and will it run A/C compressor #1 (11-12 Amp) if all other appliances etc are on gas? Any thoughts/past experience here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run mine all the time that way. You can run the AC on 1 compressor, just make sure to shut off the breaker to the second compressor. You will not be able to use much more than a few lights and the TV when the AC is blowing. You will also have to make sure that the EMS is manually set to 20 AMPs. I do have a Hughs Autoformer installed in my coach so low voltage is not a problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Keep the shades down to keep the sun out also front window shade. Open window or two on shaded side of MH turn on Fantastic vent fans this will move a lot of air through the MH.

Also a nice 12" fan to move the air around will work nice. Have had to do this when visiting at times. NO A/C.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Question: I have a 30 AMP 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 35U and we have a trip coming up next month to South East/Fl. Friends have offered us a nearby parking connection to their garage 15 AMP standard wall AMP. Will my EMS power panel recognize it as the 20 AMP source and will it run A/C compressor #1 (11-12 Amp) if all other appliances etc are on gas? Any thoughts/past experience here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run mine all the time that way. You can run the AC on 1 compressor, just make sure to shut off the breaker to the second compressor. You will not be able to use much more than a few lights and the TV when the AC is blowing. You will also have to make sure that the EMS is manually set to 20 AMPs. I do have a Hughs Autoformer installed in my coach so low voltage is not a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK..where's the breaker for #2 compressor?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

look for you AC panel with all the circut breakers. There should be one for the #2 A/C. My panel is just inside the entry door. Not sure where yours is.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
look for you AC panel with all the circut breakers. There should be one for the #2 A/C. My panel is just inside the entry door. Not sure where yours is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My panel same place. Found it marked ACC/TR #2 (20 amp). Thanks