Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post
OK... Still AC related so I am going to ask this question in this thread.

If I run my AC units (3) using generator a 1/2 hour before my arrival at a park, do I need to shut down the AC units before I plug in to 50 AMP service? Do the AC units automatically switch to the 50 AMP?

I automatically shut down the generator if the campground is dusty (dirt / gravel) so that I do not cause a dust storm. Then as soon as I get plugged in, I start the ACs up again.

Along the same lines, if I am hooked up to 50 AMP service and I turn on the generator to exercise it, should I shut off the AC system?

I have read the manual but it doesn't really address these two questions.

THanks in advance for your assistance.

You probably have an automatic transfer switch for switching service between shore power and generator. Most likely it is set up as generator priority. That is if you are both plugged into 50 amp and have the generator running, you will by priority be using the generator. When the generator goes off the ATS will seamlessly transfer to shore power. However, the less amperage you are drawing at the time of switchover, the easier it is on the transfer switch and will prolong its life.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote