Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

AUX BATT Toggle

Newbies in a 2008 38J. There's an AUX BATT switch by the door. We were told to turn this OFF when we store the coach so as not to run down the batteries. It turns everything off. The solar power red light is still on, so I guess that's good.

But what about when we plug in to shore power or run the gen? Should this switch be off or on?

Thanks
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post
Newbies in a 2008 38J. There's an AUX BATT switch by the door. We were told to turn this OFF when we store the coach so as not to run down the batteries. It turns everything off. The solar power red light is still on, so I guess that's good.
But what about when we plug in to shore power or run the gen? Should this switch be off or on?
Thanks
jimaxp
I assume you mean the "house battery cut of switch", (often called the "salesman switch")?
I have never turned my saleman switch OFF, (except accidentally), during the 13 years I've owned this coach.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (105k mine).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That is the disconnect switch for your house batteries. We store ours with it on, but its always hooked to shore power. Our coach has an intelligent charger that will charge and maintain the batteries. If during storage you don't have shore power available, then I suggest turning the switch off and keep an eye on the batteries' water and charge level.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Also known as the "salesman switch".
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, if not parked long term with shore power, turn the switch off. That will stop most 12v. loads from draining your house batteries. Note ........ many rigs the LP detector will stay energized.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Nobody has answered the question yet.
Paulc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

IMHO - If you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, there is no reason to turn the AUX BATT switch off. The purpose of this switch is to save your battery power when the vehicle is not being used or charging the batteries.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc47 View Post
I think based on what has been posted the OP can make a decision on leaving it on or off while on shore power or generator.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Paulc47
I disagree.
There have been may good answers posted.

IMO there's no definitive yes/no answer to the question, "Should this switch be off or on"?
To answer that question, the best anyone can do is describe what they do... why they do it ....and/or what works for them!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If one plugs in when the switch is off would that hurt anything? Would the converter charger work? I assume it would not. Just wondering if anything goes "around" that disconnect switch? On our 2014 Sightseer our chassis battery seems to drain down fairly quickly in storage even when the chassis switch is off.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Thanks
The short answer is leave it on. Or, if you are using the coach, leave it on.

If the coach is to be stored or not used, turn it off. In the case of storage with shore power, it doesn't really matter. The switch turns off all 12vdc power to the coach, which not only runs the lighting, but also the control systems for the fridge, furnace, water pump and A/C units. So if it is stored and you want to say keep food in the fridge, you want to leave it on. The only caveat to this is your batteries will soon go dead unless you are plugged into shore. The bottom line is the switch is there to save the batteries when the coach is not in use and no shore power is available.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
If one plugs in when the switch is off would that hurt anything? Would the converter charger work? I assume it would not. Just wondering if anything goes "around" that disconnect switch? On our 2014 Sightseer our chassis battery seems to drain down fairly quickly in storage even when the chassis switch is off.
All coaches are wired differently. With that in mind, even if you turn the switch off, your batteries may be powering something (i.e. detectors, LEDs, etc.). The best thing to do is to for storage is to make sure they are fully charged, full of water, and keep an eye on them.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
If one plugs in when the switch is off would that hurt anything?
No

Quote:
Would the converter charger work? I assume it would not.
Yes it would work, but with the switch off, you would not have 12v power to the coach. However, I have seen a few coaches when the switch is off, it won't charge the batteries. Easy enough to check yours though. Check the battery voltage without shore power. Should be 12 to 12.7v. Now turn the switch off and plug into shore. If voltage remains the same or in the 12v range, your switch cuts off battery charging. If voltage goes to 13.2 or higher, it does not.

Quote:
Just wondering if anything goes "around" that disconnect switch? On our 2014 Sightseer our chassis battery seems to drain down fairly quickly in storage even when the chassis switch is off.
The disconnect switch we are discussing is for the coach/house. Many RVs keep the safety systems (CO2, Propane and Smoke detectors) powered with the switch off. This will drain the coach batteries in time if not on shore.

The Chassis disconnect is of course to disconnect the starting battery(s) from the chassis. This generally cuts all power to the chassis and it should last 3 months without a charge. Most newer coaches have a B.I.R.D system, this keeps the chassis batt charged when on shore power. This is a great feature for long term camping or storing when shore is available. For those that don't have a B.I.R.D, this is a great option:

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Clyon, thanks for the advice. I will try plugging in next time with the switches off and check battery voltage to see if they are charging.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

My rig came with the less expensive Parallax 7400 converter/charger. My manual says to use the switch to disconnect the batteries when connected to shore power for extended periods.
If the AUX Bat switch is left on and you are connected to shore power you will need to check the battery water level at least once a month because the converter supplies a fixed voltage from 13.5 to 13.8 volts all the time and that will cause outgassing of water vapor.

After 11 years of 24/7 full timing use my converter started making strange sounds. I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 9200 three stage converter. When the batteries are fully charged it goes into a float charge mode suppling 13.2 volts.

That will reduce the need to check the electrolyte to a bare minimum. I have had float chargers on orchard equipment stored all winter long with no water useage noted.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks
The reason Winnebago recommends the batteries be disconnected during storage is to minimize the battery drain and to eliminate the water loss in the batteries. Most older Winnebago products don't have a smart charger. If left plugged in and unattended for long periods of time the battery water level will slowly diminish. It's possible you could run them dry and damage them.

The red light on the panel signals the solar panel is charging the house batteries. It charges the batteries regardless of the position of the switch. The standard solar panel only puts out 10 watts and it's only purpose is to maintain the battery charge level. It isn't powerful enough to recharge a dead battery.

As for leaving the house battery switch off when plugged in the best answer is to consult your owners manual. Our 2001 Adventurer had only a battery charger. All the 12 volt lights and accessories ran off the batteries. The charger kept them fully charged when plugged in or on the generator. If you have this system none of the lights or 12 volt accessories will work if the house battery switch is in the off position. The switch will need to be in the on position when plugged in or on generator power.

Some years later Winnebago switched to a power supply/battery charger. I'm not sure what year the change occurred but our 2013 Adventurer has this system. With this system the batteries do not have to be switched on to use the 12 volt lights and accessories. The power supply will run the lights and accessories even when the house battery switch is in the off position. The power supply does have some limitations. If you have a load beyond the power supply's capacity it will dim the lights to avoid overheating and burning out the power supply.