Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Automatic Transfer Switch

I am needing to replace our automatic transfer switch. We had an TRC Model 51300. As you can see in the below picture, the wires melted, and shorted out. Lucky we were home at caught it before major damage.

Any recommendations on a replacement? Stick with the same brand or which brand is better?

Thanks. Glen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ats1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	169647  
glen361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello Glen and welcome. I'm no expert on these matters, but I suppose I'd choose the same make/model switch that was original equipment. (Assuming that one is the OEM.) Hopefully someone more experienced will see your post and give some actual advice.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

automatic transfer switch

glen361,

I apologize for the length of the response. I can relate to your experience.

We bought a Winnie Aspect 27k on 5-11-18. On 5-22-18, while on our maiden camping trip, out ATS caught fire. We had been taking an afternoon camping nap. My wife smelled an electrical fire. I went around to the side of the RV and was over whelmed by the acrid odor. I turned off the electrical at the camping post. I felt the wire along its skin and felt no breaks. I opened the door to the electrical compartment and blue smoke rolled out. I felt the ATS box and it was extremely hot to touch.

We had the campground check the the post; it was good. I managed to open the ATS box and found fried wires.

I called the dealership and made arrangements to get the ATS removed and replaced the next day. The dealership replaced with like kind ATS. The technician told me that two of the screws were welded and could not be removed. Four of the screw connections were only hand tight. The manufacturer requires that they be torqued to 25 inch/lbs. They were not; they were hand tight.

It has now been 20 days since our purchase and 9 days since the life threatening event. I called Winnebago and registered my alarm and concern. I sent them pictures. I sent W the technician's findings with the connections.

There was a series of recalls for this item. 2015, 2016, 2017 models have this problem. This morning I informed WGO that I was upset that fixes at the factory are not being done. And, dealerships are not being proactive to check the connections in advance before the sale.

This is unacceptable. 4 models having this connection problem is not professional.

sfox
2018 Winnebago Aspect 27K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	169654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	169655  

sfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

ATS switch

Glen361,

I did hear from Winnebago today. Their engineers said tighten to 30 in/lbs. They also sent an image targeting which connections to check at least once per year.

The response from WGO also referenced the previous recall recommendations, "I forwarded the information about the Automatic Transfer Switch over to our Quality Department for review. The ATS torque is 30 in/pounds per the info below from our recall instructions".

I'm still going to worry.

sfox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	169663  
sfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch, switch