Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Auto transfer switch problem

I have a 2013 Winnebago Journey 34B.

We travel with a dog in warm climates. Sometimes, we leave the dog alone in the RV. For the dog's safety, we have to have air conditioning always available. In case of a power outage at the RV park, we set the genset to a standby mode called "auto on". The shore powers the RV normally but if shore power cuts off, the "auto on" starts the genset to supply power to the RV system (air conditioning for the dog's safety).

Several years ago, the OEM Surgeguard automatic transfer switch was damaged by bad shore power and was replaced (on the road by a RV mobile repair service) with a Powermax PMTS-50 automatic transfer switch and a separate Progressive Industries electrical management system with surge protection. Two weeks ago, that transfer switch arced and welded a contact due to a loose L1 (black) wire and was replaced (on the road by another RV mobile repair service) with a Southwire #40100 50 amp auto transfer switch. The Progessive Industries unit is still in place. The mobile RV repairman who replaced it noticed that in the wiring loom coming from the generator, there are two neutral (white) wires. (This is OEM from Winnebago). He said that he has not seen this before and doesn't know why there would be two on them. He twisted them together and connected them as one to the genset side neutral post in the transfer switch. The switch appeared to work properly in initial testing.

I am now on the road again and have discovered a problem. I am connected to shore power at the 50 amp plug and it is receiving 120v @ 60hz and all systems operate properly. I can run the air conditioners, electric water heater, microwave, etc. without problem. The problem arises when I set the genset to "auto on" mode (the genset is NOT on, it is in stand-by) by using the Cummins/Onan Energy Command 30 panel. All power will continue to come through the shore side of the switch until the air conditioner comes on. ONLY when an air conditioner comes on, (even only one air conditioner) and whether everything else is on or off, the transfer switch cuts power to the shore, starts the genset and transfers all RV power to the genset. The genset then stays on, even after the air conditioner has shut off. The genset has to be manually stopped. If the air conditioner is OFF at that time then power will transfer back to the shore.

I have had another RV mobile repair service come to repair this but he could not, he doesn't know why this is happening. I phoned the Southwire Company and spoke to their tech support and they could not suggest a fix. He suggested contacting Winnebago for assistance.

Does the second neutral wire from the genset to the transfer switch need to be connected separately to some other contact? What is the purpose of the second neutral wire? Would the arcing/welding in the switch have affected some other system to cause this situation?
P8nsbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Here is your wiring diagram
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_181742.pdf
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch