Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Auto genset starts but doesn't automatically shut down

2011 Journey 40L/ Onan RVQD 8000X/Energy Command 30 Remote display.
The auto genset starts when the the battery voltage "cut-in" point is reached, which corresponds to "1 bar" on the genset remote display. The problem is, after the generator charges the batteries (inverter panel shows "batt saver" or "float") the remote display still shows 1 bar and won't shut down the generator(although the rpm is minimal, like there's no load) . I've let the generator run for several hours but it does not change the bar count (it should increase to 3 bars and shut down). Only 1 time has the system shut down correctly, and that's when I had it on automatic with quiet time set, but it's also failed to shut down while on that setting, too.
Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Steevo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo45 View Post
2011 Journey 40L/ Onan RVQD 8000X/Energy Command 30 Remote display.
The auto genset starts when the the battery voltage "cut-in" point is reached, which corresponds to "1 bar" on the genset remote display. The problem is, after the generator charges the batteries (inverter panel shows "batt saver" or "float") the remote display still shows 1 bar and won't shut down the generator(although the rpm is minimal, like there's no load) . I've let the generator run for several hours but it does not change the bar count (it should increase to 3 bars and shut down). Only 1 time has the system shut down correctly, and that's when I had it on automatic with quiet time set, but it's also failed to shut down while on that setting, too.
Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Lot of information missing and maybe a picture or two to intelligently respond, but I will take a guess.

Have you verified that wiring direct to house battery to EC-30 is properly connected?

Just other things that I would question.
1. Which version of EC-30 do you have (firmware etc)
2. What is actual house battery digital reading saying on EC-30 when it starts up?
3. What is actual house battery digital reading saying on EC-30 when you think it should have shut down?
4. Have you tried the internal diagnostic test?
5. Have you reviewed all of the setup parameters?
6. Did this just start, new coach for you, you have 10 tens years etc. etc.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I agree with @dkoldman. First you need to confirm whether or not your batteries are being charged by the generator, second I would also look at the max run time setting for the generator.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote