Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Assist with cable connection ID?

Spent years full timing. But in 5th Wheels.

We now have a new to us 2011 Access Premier Class C. So with motorhomes we're rookies. We've figured out how to use the Television. But were recently at a campground with cable - and simply could not get it working. So seeking any and all thoughts on what is needed to get it functional.

So 1st thing was - in trailers/5th wheels you have an antenna / cable switch. This Class C has no such thing.

What it does have is a "Control Center" - no information as to model/manufacturer - that has a series of 3 banks of push switches: MAIN TV (which includes a Cable switch), VCR/TV3, and TV2. -Only- the first bank is applicable, there is only one TV in the rig.

AND - the single exterior coax connection on the rig is on the passenger side... I assumed it acted as both a satellite and cable connection. Could be wrong! But it was cabled up, tightly.

It did not seem to make any difference whatsoever the push buttons used on the control center, or the options and channel scans on the television itself - we got nothing but static on the TV. No picture, no sound, nothing.

I'd love to post photos but not sure how to do so here.

ANY hints, tips, approaches, things to try would be very, very welcomed! Thank you !
alportet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you go to the Winnebago website at this link, you can select your particular model number and then select the wiring diagrams for your TV. It may help.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Usually there is an antenna amplifier for the antenna on your roof. There is a little push button switch that turns that amplifier on and off. You want it off to use cable in most cases. Your RV may be wired different however.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the quick response! And thank you for the link. Have grabbed the relevant diagram and will study it.
I'm familiar with the "Antenna Amplifier" switch - it simply does not appear to exist in this rig. And believe me I've looked. Seen them in all kinds of odd spots in the past and checked everywhere. That's what initially threw me and drove the entire experimentation process trying to get cable to work. So - sounds like those "Antenna Amplifier" switches are in motorhomes... just not mine.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Maybe time to referr you to some of my favorite sites for Winnebago info?

Parts?
An interactive site to let you turn the Rv all kinds of ways to look at all the parts. One to find if you know the name but also to look things over in different sections and when you point to an item on the drawings, it brings them up in a PDF style list with the "official" name! Great stuff when you see something and don't know what it does!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_110138.pdf

Wiring? Since coax is wiring?

Some generic ideas, depending on which options your specific RV has onboard!
Maybe knowing what you have and finding the matching drawing will lead to at least know to look for the next item in line?
Just knowing the drawing says it goes to "here" next and then looking on the parts will lead you on the right path. The problem with TV/audio/video is that there are some many different setups that it leaves hundreds of different pathes to get the same place, so it can get down to seeing it in the RV and trying to guess which version you have.

This one gives the general idea of WHAT to expect, once you sort down to how many of the availble options you have:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_110138.pdf

Then to get to your TV wiring, maybe this gets to the part you need?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2...p_electric.htm

This is an example of what you may be able to find in the parts if you have the front TV option and it lets you point to different parts to help sort what you may find on the wiring diagrams!

Example only as you may have different options. This second pic shows a plate which might be hard to find if you didn't know it was there as it looks to be on the inner wall and out of sight?
Click this picture to get a better view of what you may find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front tv.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	182923   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	182924  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It looks like you know all about the amplifier button for the tv. My current coach does not have the wall plate switch either. I have a control box much like what you are referring to. I do however to the left of the select buttons have a button to turn off the power to the antenna. Some where on that box should be a button, I hope

As for the the coax, I have never heard of a fitting on the passengers side for cable/sat impute. Somewhere on the drivers side is the cable connection in one of the compartments.

You might even go really basic and take the coax and hood direct to tv. That would make sure tv is receiving signal. I would then take the coax and tie direct to the cable connection on the back of your control box. This would also work as a test for the antenna power button thing. You may have to remove the antenna coax to finish this part.

Once you have gotten tv to work with direct coax connection it would be time to hunt down the outside connection and go from there. I really doubt the the one on the passenger side is imput it could be for outside tv hook up. You would know that by the coax connections on the back of the box.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

All - excellent feedback and greatly appreciated! I'll take your recommendations and hopefully discover the solution. And I too hadn't ever seen a coax connector on the passenger side and not on driver side. Other than normal waste tank access, generator, outdoor shower there is only a single storage compartment on the driver's side. No connector in there. Ah well...
Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Do you have the big packet of info that should transfer with the RV at sale? If not, the owners manual can be found online to help.
I would assume the manual might tell where the outside connection is placed.

Also the code for the tape on the coax should be helpfull to trace ID and trace each cable you do find.

If you look at the plans and match up which drawing fits for your options, the tape color code is on each coax.

The biggest problem is that there are so many options, that we can't say what to expectas each RV has different parts when they are ordered with differentoptions packages much like a car might be done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coax 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	182925  
Old 05-22-2022, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It really seems like the manualis full of good info!

These may be a start?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	182926   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	182927  

Name:	TV3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	182928  
Old 05-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Morich that's good information! The packet that came with it doesn't have a "user manual" per se, nor docs that cover all the systems. I've tracked down some pdfs but not all yet.

Your last post - a couple questions and an observation...
Not a coax guy but dealt with it at times. Can you explain "code for the tape on the coax should be helpfull to trace ID and trace each cable you do find." ? Never heard of a code so unclear what that actually means.
WHICH manual did those photos come from? It actually says the exterior cable connection is located by the door! Which is where ours is on the passenger side - something never encountered before.
The observation... It also appears to show a photo with a connection in the power cable storage compartment - wow! Mine has no transfer switch and for generator you plug cable in right there. My gotcha is there's literally less that 6 inches of opening to deal with the power cable (an astoundingly highly irritating issue I WILL find a fix for!) and I only did a cursory look in there. So... Now I'm going to pull the whole power cable out, get my good flashlight and really look that compartment over!
Meanwhile I'd appreciate a response on the code and specific manual you referenced?
Old 05-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the Operator Manual for your RV. Chapter 8 covers the ENTERTAINMENT systems, including the cable hookup info.

Here's the TV Coax Wiring Diagram and TV/DVD Wiring Installation diagram for your coach as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alportet View Post
Morich that's good information! The packet that came with it doesn't have a "user manual" per se, nor docs that cover all the systems. I've tracked down some pdfs but not all yet.

Your last post - a couple questions and an observation...
Not a coax guy but dealt with it at times. Can you explain "code for the tape on the coax should be helpfull to trace ID and trace each cable you do find." ? Never heard of a code so unclear what that actually means.
WHICH manual did those photos come from? It actually says the exterior cable connection is located by the door! Which is where ours is on the passenger side - something never encountered before.
The observation... It also appears to show a photo with a connection in the power cable storage compartment - wow! Mine has no transfer switch and for generator you plug cable in right there. My gotcha is there's literally less that 6 inches of opening to deal with the power cable (an astoundingly highly irritating issue I WILL find a fix for!) and I only did a cursory look in there. So... Now I'm going to pull the whole power cable out, get my good flashlight and really look that compartment over!
Meanwhile I'd appreciate a response on the code and specific manual you referenced?
When looking at the drawings that show how the parts are connected, there is a label on each coax which should match a piece of tape near the end of the coax.
The picture above of the connections at the door say they are to connect a TV for outside use. So if you are connecting the cable there, you are putting the cable signal IN where the signal is meant to come OUT after it goes through the other system parts inside like the box with buttons.
It is quite normal for the coax connection for satellite or cable to be located near the wet bay or where the electrical connects are found, so it really sounds like what you have is very normal but you have not found the right connection and confused the one at the door as being the cable input when it is actually an added output connection for using a TV that you move to the outside to use.

The space at the connections is likely small on RV that do not have the auto transfer and part of the idea for the TV coax may be that when you are using cable TV hookups, you are also very likely to be using the power cord forpower. Having the cord out for plugging in will make the space clear to reach in and connect the coax.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv conn.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	182935  
Old 05-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

This string has been tremendously helpful. And I thank you. I love the RV community. In the years we've been on the road I've figured out and accomplished things I'd never have contemplated taking on - with the help of folks like you. Because... you have to. But as I said in the initial post, Motorhomes are a new ball game for us. All the stuff is there, just hidden and harder to get to! But we'll get it done. One way or another!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Just a thought that fixed my uncles same problem. Go to options on you TV and select cable. If I remember there is also antenna and satellite options.

Good Luck

On edit I read that you already checked this option. Never mind.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I thought I'd provide an update with outcome following all of your input. I'll have to wait until we're at another campground with cable to test and confirm - and will try to give a follow up then.

(PS - if someone can clue me in on how to insert a photo into a thread I'd be grateful. The FAQ only seems to refer to Albums...)

a) I will be darned if there wasn't actually a coax connection inside the power cable bay. Junction box with coax connection, no cover, filled with old spiderwebs. Took a light from both directly ahead and up from the cable port to spot it clear in back upper corner.Not at all surprised I missed it. But it's there. So will clean up, add a cover, and run a quality coax extension to that fitting so I don't have to blindly reach in 2 feet to try to connect a cable each time.
(Seems an insane way to install it... but then I'm just an ignorant user, not a highly paid RV engineer.)

b) I pulled the Video Control Center out of the cabinet it's in, just to see. Turns out it is a Quest QS53DVD. Wasn't sure what to expect but basically all black coax cables attached to rear with no color codes I could see. All connections were tight.

c) That Control center has an ANT/Cable switch BUT it does not seem to move. All others push in, stay there, or push out. This RV also has a single individual "TV" rocker switch mounted above and to the right of the control center. It SEEMS that switch is only applicable if your have a video player connected somewhere...

Now that I have a User Manual (THANK YOU !!) this is what I THINK the process will be - please comment if I'm off track...

- Coax from campsite post to connection in power cable bay.
- The single individual "TV" rocker switch OFF (down) since it should not apply.
- Power button on the Control Center OFF, as that seems to send 12v to the antenna booster.
- Totally unclear if that ANT/CABLE switch does anything since it doesn't move. We'll see.
- Set the CABLE button on on the Control Center.
- Set TV to Cable as source and scan for channels.

Pull further hair out of head regardless of the outcome..........
Old 05-24-2022, 04:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

One small point that helps me when things get in a rush is a quick connect for the coax connection. So much easier to screw the fitting on the coax and then just slide it on the connection.Not good for places where you may kick the cable, etc as it pulls off almost as easy as it goes on!

Something like this picked up local:
https://www.cablewholesale.com/produ...ct-200-103.php
Old 05-24-2022, 10:17 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alportet View Post
(PS - if someone can clue me in on how to insert a photo into a thread I'd be grateful. The FAQ only seems to refer to Albums...)
Sure here’s how to post photos… you’ll find this info and dozens of other how-to things posted in the Forum Admin | News | Member Concerns forum: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f62/

How to add photos to a post

The photo should reside on your computer, tablet or phone. If you have a photo at Google or Dropbox or similar cloud location download it (Right click Save Photo As) to your computer, tablet or phone FIRST.

Here's how to post a photo inside an existing thread that you are replying to:

Click scroll down to bottom of a thread to the Quick Reply editor box.
  • At the bottom of the Quick Reply box, click "go advanced" and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded from your computer, tablet or phone's photo gallery. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

IF you are starting a new thread then you can skip the whole "Go Advanced" instruction because when starting a new thread you are already in the Advanced Editor. So, in this case you just scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button in the Advanced Editor.

How to embed an image stored on another site:

NOTE: Google Photos is not an acceptable image host to embed photos from. The photo will show up for you but not for other people.

You can do this by using image tags. Upload the image to a service like imageshack and then copy the URL of the image and put that between [IMG] tags. That will work well, as long as the host site stays in business and doesn't disable your image for overuse of bandwidth etc. Please note that Photobucket images are not allowed and you will recieve an error message if you try to embed one of these images.

You can also paste in the location of a photo stored here in a photo gallery.

To do this: Paste the url of the image into your post. Then add the following code on either side of the url (with no extra spaces):

[IMG]url here[/IMG]

The image will appear where the url was in your text.