Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone Using Optima Batteries in Sightseer/Sunova

Is anyone using Optima Batteries in their 2006, 2007ish or really, any model year Signteer/Sunova? If so, have you had any charging issues using the inverter/charger which came as standard equipment on the motorhome. Time for new batteries, and though expensive I like the AGM batteries. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have used Optima Batteries for several years in my cars, as a matter of fact I have one now that was installed in 2003 and still going strong! However, the quality on the these batteries have realy gone down hill in the past 3 or 4 years. Most of the people that I talk to will not buy them at all. As far as your charging issues, it could very well be the battery and not your charger. These batteries will not take a charge if they drop under 12 Volts. Hope that helps.

Ronnie Tucker
RonnieTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ours are going into their 9th season, no issues at all, we have OEM converter installed. Downside, house batteries (2) are only 55amhr each. Have to be careful dry camping. But have not done anything to them.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I do not use optimas.. You may wish to know why.

Per their web site for any given form factor the OPTIMA brand has only about 60-66% the capacity of other types. This is inferable from the sprial cell design (lots of air space) and from a scale if you weigh them, but those suggestions are better than what the web site says which is 60 percent.

They also cost more

Optima are AGM, which is normally more expensive, they advantages of AGM are:
Maintence free, and can be mounted in any position (no this side up) In addition LIFELINE AGM's (I do not see evidence of this on other agm web sites) can be recharged faster in the bulk phase.

LIFELINE agm's wil have half again the amp hour capacity (Actually a bit more) than an optima of the same size. So you can replace two optimas with two of the same size Lifeline and get THREE batteries worth of performance. (or more)

In addition.. Optima is a very physically robost design so in an off road vehicle like a 4-runner or wave runner where they have to "Take a lickin's and keep on kickin'" Well that's what they are designed for. If you drive your RV like that. Batteries will not be a problem.

Regular wet type maintenance free have all the advantages of AGM save they do have a "This side up" (They are also not as rugged as optima) They also are longer lived.

Flooded wet cells, DO require a lot of maintence, re-filling, cleaning and such, BUT.....

They last longer still if properly cared for and cost a fraction of what AGM's do.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I do not use optimas.. You may wish to know why.

Per their web site for any given form factor the OPTIMA brand has only about 60-66% the capacity of other types. This is inferable from the sprial cell design (lots of air space) and from a scale if you weigh them, but those suggestions are better than what the web site says which is 60 percent.

They also cost more

Optima are AGM, which is normally more expensive, they advantages of AGM are:
Maintence free, and can be mounted in any position (no this side up) In addition LIFELINE AGM's (I do not see evidence of this on other agm web sites) can be recharged faster in the bulk phase.

LIFELINE agm's wil have half again the amp hour capacity (Actually a bit more) than an optima of the same size. So you can replace two optimas with two of the same size Lifeline and get THREE batteries worth of performance. (or more)

In addition.. Optima is a very physically robost design so in an off road vehicle like a 4-runner or wave runner where they have to "Take a lickin's and keep on kickin'" Well that's what they are designed for. If you drive your RV like that. Batteries will not be a problem.

Regular wet type maintenance free have all the advantages of AGM save they do have a "This side up" (They are also not as rugged as optima) They also are longer lived.

Flooded wet cells, DO require a lot of maintence, re-filling, cleaning and such, BUT.....

They last longer still if properly cared for and cost a fraction of what AGM's do.
Good summation.
I just replaced our starting and house batteries. The starting batteries are 1000 CCA, low maintenance, the house batteries were Interstate U-2200's that were 9½ years old. The old starting batteries were dead, even 2 hours with a 60 amp charger wouldn't start the engine. While replacing them I looked at the house batteries closer and found they were bulging. They still worked OK, but I didn't want to have to change them in a parking lot someplace.
The standard wet cells lasted for 9½ years, I'm not sure the AGM's would do any better and they would cost a bunch more!
Also, you can cut way down on maintenance if you put mineral oil in the cells.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My current Optima AGM battery, a "yellow top", just died two weeks ago at the tender old age of 4!! It was installed in a collector car of mine and I always had a battery tender on it!!

So no more AGM's for me! I going to replace it with traditional wet cell battery.

The battery before the AGM was a traditional wet cell and it lasted for 5 years and was 1/3 the cost of the AGM battery!.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a wrangler,two boats and M/H all have optima batterys blue top 8 batteries. No problems after 5 years
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info. Good input to ponder.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Is anyone using Optima Batteries in their 2006, 2007ish or really, any model year Signteer/Sunova? If so, have you had any charging issues using the inverter/charger which came as standard equipment on the motorhome. Time for new batteries, and though expensive I like the AGM batteries. Appreciate any feedback.
I installed 2 yellow top Optima batteries as our house batteries about 4 years ago and so far they're doing great. No changes to the converter and the RV stays plugged in to shore power most of the time. The old engine battery just died of old age so we replaced it with an Optima Red top. It sure turns the engine over a lot faster than the old one and isn't as subject to the parasitic drain problem. I also got about 6 years out of the yellow top Optima in my Jeep and in the Florida heat that's saying something! No problem to report with Optima batteries here.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Good summation.

Some days the internet is a PITA (Pain in the anatony) and little keyboards on netbooks,, all the time.,

Thanks for the support on my post... Feels good to get agreement.

Tags
batteries