Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i would like to get the dish network dual tuner receiver( model 322) but don't know if or how it can be wired through the standard distribution box in the overhead compartment to use the front and back tvs at the same time with different channels...thanks..jim
Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i would like to get the dish network dual tuner receiver( model 322) but don't know if or how it can be wired through the standard distribution box in the overhead compartment to use the front and back tvs at the same time with different channels...thanks..jim
Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jim,

I just added a dual LNB kit to my King Dome in-motion dish. There was a little box that installed at the dish and then another little box installed after the King Dome tuner in the coach. I forgot what the boxes are called - diplexers- combiners- multiplexers- thingies or whatever.

Point is you only one feed line from the dish to the tuner (but you need a dual LNB at the dish.) You can have a dual-input tuner (like DirecTV/Tivo) or two tuners (one for the front TV, one for the rear TV.) Does the Dish tuner have two video outputs, i.e., independantly controlled outputs? If not, just buy a second Dish receiver.

You'll have to figure out how to arrange your cabling with your TVs and switch box.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jim,
I have the dish model 522 dual dvr and the Winegard automatic sat dish (not in motion). Winne only runs one coax down from the roof sat lnb, so I had to run a 2nd coax from lnb to the 522. Then connect tv2 out of rcvr to AUX IN on the Winne tv distribution box. Now either front or rear tv can watch tuner 1 or 2. Since tv2 is controlled by rf remote, that's a natural for the rear tv.
Two issues with the 522 dvr: 1)it has a hard drive that can't take any bouncing around while powered up (we destroyed the 1st unit by driving while on) so it's not a good solution for in-motion use. 2) it's a power hog at 450 watts and will run down my 3 12v batteries in one day dry camping.
I'm totally addicted to the record feature in the 522, so we put it on the padded couch while traveling and I run my little Honda generator a few hours per day dry camping. Love to be out sightseeing during the day and then watch a recorded ball game in the evening & skip thru commercials.
Life is full of tradeoffs!!!

Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 08-18-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i have a tripod mounted dual lnb with a cable off each head, then a sw21 switch to merge the two into one cable up to my receiver...does this have to be duplicated for the second tuner..the receiver to aux part seems fairly easy..thanks..jim
Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My understanding is that you do not need the SW21 switch if you have one of the newer Dish 500 lnbs (one that was made in the past several years). Run one cable to each reveiver. The connections marked 110 & 119 may already have a built in switch so there is no need for the SW21. I just upgraded my old 500 lnb which had the 2 connections to a Dish Pro so that I could add the third TV. The old connections had one line running to each TV, and no additional switch. Have you tried to hook just one cable to the reciver and see if you receive both 110 & 119 programs? On Open Roads Forum search dish network with FCRV Junkie as the poster. This person has lots of helpful info about using Dish Network.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have the dish model 522 dual dvr and the Winegard automatic sat dish (not in motion). Winne only runs one coax down from the roof sat lnb, so I had to run a 2nd coax from lnb to the 522. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you tell me where you found the second coax from the roof sat dish??? I think Winegard has the second coax in their wiring harness and Winnebago folds it back on the harness and tapes it there. Is this correct and or where did you find that second unused coax?? Or did you have to run a completely new coax from the LNB???

You can reply to me at [email protected]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tom,
I talked to dealer service guy and Winne Cust Service and both said that 2nd coax from LNB goes into roof but is taped off.
I had to run a new coax from LNB thru a new hole I put in the roof right above the tv (my tv is over by the dinette). Dealer gave me a cartridge of the white self-leveling rtv and it looks as good as factory install.

-Bill
Old 08-25-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just had Dish Network installed in four rooms at home yesterday with the intention of moving one 322 receiver to my Suncruiser for travel. I was told by the installer the 322 had to be continuously connected to a phone line, and that it was the only Dish receiver that reports this connection. Is there any truth to this? Other postings have said a receiver could be disconnected from the phone line for extended periods, but I don't know if they specifically included the 322.

I picked up a Dish 500 off eBay and built one of the low (upside down) four legged PVC supports found elsewhere in the forum. Looks neat, but seems a little weak for the weight of the dish. I filled it with dry concrete left over from another project, and it weighs in at 8 pounds. I hope to try it in driveway test action sometime this week.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Our 05 34h Meridian came with a dual LNB Winegard auto crank up dish. The second coax was a real pain to find but was stuffed in with a bunch of other cables behind the front tv. I installed two Direct TV receivers in front connect the downleads directly to the back of the receivers, and connected a short jumper to the Sat in on the control box from on and to the aux input from the other. Our coach also had a fibre optic cable installed with a sensor mounted above the tv and run to the front entertainment center area. There were two sensors on the front end that I located in front of the remote sensor on the DVD/VCR player and in front of the second satellite receiver. Either component could be controlled from the back of the coach using the proper remote. I think this system was standard on all 04 and 05 meridians and Horizons.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
i have a tripod mounted dual lnb with a cable off each head, then a sw21 switch to merge the two into one cable up to my receiver...does this have to be duplicated for the second tuner..the receiver to aux part seems fairly easy..thanks..jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Jim, if you have a single downlead from your dish, a multiswitch available from most electronics outlets will do what you want. You can also hook the cable and antenna leads to it and switch back and forth with your remote. Most of the switches have three inputs and 4 outputs making them very versatile.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:40 AM   #13

If I understand this correctly then you can run two receivers off a single LNB dish and also view two different programs by using a splitter? Will this work on either service, Direct or Dish.
Think this ol brain is getting a little confused.
The reason I ask is I have a Wineguard Auto dish non-auto tracking (AS 2300?)that I would like to set up to watch 2 different programs for the DW and I without having to replace the dish if possable
Derek
Old 09-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
You can run 2 IRD's of 1 LNB provided you have 2 feeds from the LNB, also you don't use a splitter, you need a multi-switch.