Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

The inverter dedicated disconnect removes the inverter entirely from the 12v circuit. The inverter when off (in standby) has a fairly significant amperage draw. When I’m boondocking, or driving and don’t need to charge batteries, and I’m not using any ac power, I disconnect the inverter. And as Creativepart said, it protects the inverter. Just a piece of advice on choosing an inverter/charger: Renogy model does not pass thru the full 30amps from shore power. This can be a big problem if you need more than 20amps, which is the limit for Renogy. Victron and Xantrex pass thru the full 30. Maybe other brands like AIMS do as well. I dunno about others. Read the specs before buying.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #42
Winnebagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
The inverter dedicated disconnect removes the inverter entirely from the 12v circuit. The inverter when off (in standby) has a fairly significant amperage draw. When I’m boondocking, or driving and don’t need to charge batteries, and I’m not using any ac power, I disconnect the inverter. And as Creativepart said, it protects the inverter. Just a piece of advice on choosing an inverter/charger: Renogy model does not pass thru the full 30amps from shore power. This can be a big problem if you need more than 20amps, which is the limit for Renogy. Victron and Xantrex pass thru the full 30. Maybe other brands like AIMS do as well. I dunno about others. Read the specs before buying.
Got it. What about simply turning off the inverter, rather than standby mode? Amperage draw should be very low then. I have a Xantrex XC2000 already so I’ll be using that. Could I put a transfer switch ahead of the inverter? I’m not sure I want to subject it to the pass through amperage at all times - have heard of some folks burning out their Xantrex like this.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:43 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

You can turn off the Xantrex, but it turns itself back on automatically when it senses shore power. Then, it’s a PITA to use the Xantrex Bluetooth app because it drops connection when you phone goes out of range and will not automatically reconnect. I’ve just found it easier to flip the disconnect switch in the pass thru when I don’t want it in the circuit, I’ve got to have that pass thru door open on departure prep, and it’s in my checklist to turn it off.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #44
Winnebagel

That is good to know. I could apply a similar concept and replace my battery disconnect with a three position switch – using one position for inverted power, one for shore power, and off to disconnect all power.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

That may be helpful to you. But be careful of switch selection. Any switch connected to inverter needs to be 250amps or greater. Also, when connecting cable or wires to switch, use a properly crimped and soldered ring terminal onto 1/0 wire or larger. 3/8” as I recall.

Tags
install, inverter, tow