Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are thinking of trading in our 36 ft MH with 2 slides and getting a truck and 5th wheel. Has anyone done this and had any regrets about getting rid of the MH. The 5th wheel we are looking at is 35ft and has 3 slides. Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are thinking of trading in our 36 ft MH with 2 slides and getting a truck and 5th wheel. Has anyone done this and had any regrets about getting rid of the MH. The 5th wheel we are looking at is 35ft and has 3 slides. Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ron, I'll link this up with 5th Wheels and Tow Forum may get some answers there also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes, we've done this 3 times. We're back to a motor home. Nothing like a motor home for traveling.
When your set up, the fifth wheel has more room. With both you have a second vehicile.
It's a personal preference. I personally like the fifth wheel, but hubby the MH. Since he is the one to hook up and set up, it's back to the MH. Much easier for him.

Carol

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have gone from trailer to motorhome to 5er and back to a trailer. Each has it good point and it's bad points.

I like the towed RV for long term stops and not having another drive line to maintain. With the motorhomes, we seldom went anywhere that we did not tow the dinghy.

We currently have a vintage 1979 travel trailer and while smaller, it has a lot of storage (not found in the newer traielrs).

So it all boils down to ...what do you like?

Ken
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would ask if you have ever owned a trailer or fifth wheel before? If yes, then it probably boils down to which you prefer for overall usage. If you have not owned one before, I would suggest posting in the trailer and fifth wheel section and getting their thoughts on the pro's and con's of a towable unit.
There are alot of differences, in my opinion, between the two types of rv'ing. If you travel alot, the MH is much easier. If you are parked alot, the fifth wheel is great.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I've had a 5th wheel for 7 years and a small TT for 3 years before that. Now thinking about a Winne Sightseer 34M Class A. From my point of view, the whole debate about diesel truck + 5th wheel vs gasser MH changed in 2008 with the new diesel emission laws. New diesel trucks have had many problems and none are getting great milage.

My current theory is to get a gasser MH and hope for around 8 MPG, but it doesn't use any gas when it's parked. I'll get a small toad (Honda Fit?) that gets 35-40 MPG for commuting. Overall, my fuel costs will actallly go down a bit and I'll enjoy the convenience of a MH for traveling and a small car for commuting. I like the idea of having a small toad vs a full size truck for transportation when camping because our kids live in NY City and San Francisco, neither a good place to drive a large vehicle around and try to park.

I'm driving my DW nuts with all of my research on this. Someone please put me out of my missory and shoot me.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
I've had a 5th wheel for 7 years and a small TT for 3 years before that. Now thinking about a Winne Sightseer 34M Class A. From my point of view, the whole debate about diesel truck + 5th wheel vs gasser MH changed in 2008 with the new diesel emission laws. New diesel trucks have had many problems and none are getting great milage.
My current theory is to get a gasser MH and hope for around 8 MPG, but it doesn't use any gas when it's parked. I'll get a small toad (Honda Fit?) that gets 35-40 MPG for commuting. Overall, my fuel costs will actallly go down a bit and I'll enjoy the convenience of a MH for traveling and a small car for commuting. I like the idea of having a small toad vs a full size truck for transportation when camping because our kids live in NY City and San Francisco, neither a good place to drive a large vehicle around and try to park.

I'm driving my DW nuts with all of my research on this. Someone please put me out of my missory and shoot me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BANG
I think it all boils down to your traveling style. Do you travel lots of miles a day and a lot of days a month? Then a MH might be a better choice for you. Are you physically able to do the setup, including backing in a large trailer? Do you generally stay in one place for several weeks at a time? Does towing intimidate you? Lots of questions that need answers. I think generally you will see more full timers and snow birds in a TT or fifth wheel because of their life style. On the other hand you will see more MH's on the highway, spending a night here and a night there, but not usually in one spot for extended periods of time. The advantages of a fifth wheel or TT over a MH are, less maintaince, lower initial cost, less insurance, just to name a few.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We pulled a 32 ft fifth wheel for 6 years. Now have a 2005 Itasca 33V. I would not go back to the 5'er. The MH is much easier to travel in, not to mention set up. Example: Pulled into Raton NM in a big rain storm. We sat waiting to get out and un hook, etc from the 5th wheel. Guy pulled in beside me in a MH, he never got out, put his level legs down, put out his slides, started the genset and was eating dinner before the rain let up enough for me to get out of the truck.
That did it for me.

2005 Itasca 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I agree with all the postings here, each unit has it pros and cons. My solution was to have one of each. We use the Itasca Horizon for travel and the Excel 5th wheel for snow birding in the winter. A little extreme but it works for me. Have fun with what ever choice you make.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for all your postings.I guess we really need to look at the pros and cons. We fulltime in florida now and the motorhome sets for 2 weeks at a time and then we move it 12 miles down the road for 2 weeks. With the pickup we would gain a second vehicle wich would make life easier with working. Again thanks to all will keep you posted on what we do. Ron and Patti

Celebration Florida
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, then I would say the fifth wheel is probably better for you guys. You stay in one place for a while and the fifth wheel is certainly nicer for that and then you have a need for the truck for other things so I would say go for it. Just make sure your truck and fiver combo is correct. Do not get "under truck" for the size of the fiver. It becomes nothing but a hassle when you try and use a truck that is not capable of the haul.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We got a MH because my wife has to take water pills. If we towed anything we would be stopped all the time.

Don't even have to get out to get set up if we don't want to. I also pull a trailer so backing up is no problem with MH, and don't have to worry about the tow vehicle on all 4 wheels.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

In 38 yrs. of marriage, we started with the pop-ups, then the T/T, then a M/H, then a 5 th. wheel, then a 5 th. wheel, then a M/H, then our M/H now -- enjoyed them all -- but at this age, we prefer the M/H -- ease of set up, everything on board, small car to travel and site see, festivals, shopping, etc. -- plus on a long haul, you don't have the ride in a pick-up, like you do in a M/H -- much less tired with the M/H when I get there.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My two cents. We've had MH and fifth wheel. And we, like you, are trying to decide which best type best suits us. We don't move as often as we thought we would, but we both prefer the smaller car for cruising once in place. As far as costs go, I've worked out the numbers (wife says obsessed over) and find no real savings one over the other, depending on what you buy. Especially with current diesel prices. MH mileage is awful, but CRV mileage is better than a large diesel truck around town. So what's your pleasure? When we return it will probably be a lower end Class A with all our kayaks and bikes and whatever stuff on, in and off of the CRV. Happy decisions. Half the fun is the journey. Oh, another option. Take it all. Today between Kerrville and Boerne (Burny) Texas I saw five truck and fifth wheel combinations towing a small car toad. I was amazed at the number in 40 miles.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I started in a fifth wheel and moved to the motorhome. The Motorhome is much better for traveling (more comfortable to drive, able for passenger to use the bathroom, get cold drinks, easier to set up, particularly the powered leveling system). Once you are set up, you can't go anywher unless you have another vehicle available. For long term stays, the 'vehicle' portion of the floor plan is somewhat wasted and leaving the 'vehicle' part sitting is worrisome.

The trailer is less pleasant and efficient to travel in and leveling it with those @&#*@$# blocks is a pain. But once it is set up, it is great to stay in, and you have the truck to travel locally in. Easier to maintain, because 'anybody' can maintain the truck while many places can't or won't work on motorhomes.

So either will work. If you travel a lot and stay short times, the motorhome will probably be your preferance. If you don't travel much and spend a while at each location, a trailer might be a better choice. If you do both, well, pick whichever you like better and live with the negatives. Or as mentioned, get both.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

We have had 3 class A since about 1996 and have went back to a fiver after each one.

04 Everest 343L, 07 Chevy 3500 SRW,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
R.G.Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We went from 37 ft. diesel pusher to 37 foot 5th wheel.
The cost of trading up to a newer motorhome was much more than buying a brand new 5th wheel.
We find the trailer/truck more stable on the road.
Hooking/unhooking the trailer is easier than hooking/unhooking the toad with brake buddy, but leveling the coach was easier than the 5th wheel - but the addition of Bigfoot or HWH levelers would take care of that. We decided the extra cost wasn't worth it for us.
Much more comfortable inside the 5th wheel! Now we have a dedicated computer desk instead of using the table, comfortable recliners instead of 2 facing sofas, a queen sized fold out hide-a-bed for company, more clothing storage in the bedroom, larger pantry......
With fuel prices the way they are, we get a few more miles per gallon too.
Potty breaks are not a problem, even with the motorhome we would pull over and stop, figuring if one of us had to 'go' so did the other.
So basically it's a trade-off, but we find the trailer set up is cheaper for insurance, licensing, maintenance etc.
Just our thoughts.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I have owned both trailers and motor homes. Have a motor home now. There are pros and cons to both. For the biggest bang for the buck the trailer probably is the best deal. When it comes to sheer joy of driving and easy set up, I'll take the motor home. If I owned a trailer today I would just leave it in Florida and not even own a truck. Not that easy to do with a motor home, they need maintenance.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #20

One factor I haven't heard mentioned - if you have a trailer and the truck breaks down, you still have your "house" to live in while the truck is in the shop. Conversely, if a motorhome is in the shop, where are you gonna sleep?

As others have said, both have their advantages and disadvantages. This is just one more factor to crank into the equation.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote