Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2022, 06:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another generator question, please

I'm wanting to guy two smaller generators to parallel and have enough power to run the systems on my 2019 Micro. I understand I will need at least 3550 watts running power. 1. The two units will be easier to physically handle, plus a single unit will be handy for other applications.

2. I'm also hoping to have enough power to run my fridge and freezer at the house in case of poser outages.
3. Any suggestions on output for these two new units?
4. I'm not brand slaved, can't afford the Hondas, but have been impressed with the Champion line.
This forum has been so helpful to me, and I appreciate it.
Gary Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have just set a champion at my house for emergency use and did a fair amount of chopping. It is a 3500 or near and and dual fuel. For my use I really wanted to go with the Westinghouse dual fuael but it was not available at the time.
I did drop off on one item which I had wanted at first in the electric start but if one were doing again, I would go for the convenience of that as well. I can come up with the money for electric start easier than money for a strained back and the dual fuel means that I have options if/ when that emergency use does come along.
When we had our ice storm here in Texas, I was able to get gasoline to keep in goingbecauce I weas ableto drive when many were not but it was running close as the stations were not able to restock on gas, also many of the driveways were blocked by folks who had run off into the ditch as they did not slow down to turn!

Champion seems fine but I do recommend the few extra dollars for electric start if you are getting into that age groupdor if your wife might need to do the starting at some point in the future. Also storing propane long term is much more practicalas it is safer and less prone to going back like gasoline.

I like to get multi-use out of things when I can and most of us do now live in areas where there are multiple ways we may need generators. Who would have ever thought Fort Myers, Florida would have 5-6 tornadoes in January?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Electric start would be nice because the DF Champions are difficult to start on propane. We went with the 2500DF because I have a weak heart and didn’t want to risk lifting the 100lb 3400df into our truck bed. The 2500 weighs on 39lbs dry. And since we never use gasoline, it stays light weight. We have two of them and purchased a 30amp parallel kit, but we only need one for camping. It will run everything, including charging. Just used them parallel last week during a power outage at home. I think the 2500 is quieter as well. When camping, we now carry an extra 20lb propane tank, so we never have to carry a gas can. A 20lb tank will run the 2500 for 30hrs under load. I did find the “sweet spot” for starting it. 12 short priming pulls, or until you get kickback, then set fuel feed between gas and propane. Starts up, then shift lever to propane. We DIY installed a micro air easy start, so now the 2500df will run the A/C with no other large loads. So, no hair dryer or heavy charging when running A/C Overall, we’re very happy with the Champion. Had it for a year, and hoping it lasts with regular oil changes. Not bad for $600.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I see you've worked out a system but I first thought to mention that many feel the propane is hard to start but they missing a key point.
I don't feel it is hard to start if I look at what might make people feel that way.

Many miss that there has to be fuel AT the engine, not just in the tank and connected to the engine. So they start with a hose full of air!

If we thing about how to get the air out of the hose and get propane in, the engine fires much quicker, otherwise we have to crank the engine enough times for a small amount of air to come out each time until we finally get propane IN the engine!

My personal method is to open the gas tank valve and press the connection in enough to let a bit of air and propane shoot out before fully connecting to the engine. That way, when I crank the engine the first time, it gets propane, rather than air out of the line and fires on the second try!

Many do forget we have to be smarter than our toys!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Duh,
This proves that I should start taking Prevagen.
Thanks for that tip
Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips.
Gary Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Generator

I have a Westinghouse with electronic start and remote start , it runs my whole camper ( 2108 DS Micro Mini) with my AC fridge and microwave going its only running at 50% capacity. It's quiet , fuel efficient and pits out great power . Hope it helps.
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Which model Westinghouse please? Thanks!
Bomba Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have the Westinghouse IGEN 4500. BOUGHT it off Amazon , they have them now for 899.99.
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

When I read this post, the first thing that came to my mind was I couldn't see how you can run two generators in parallel. I'm not an electrician, so maybe I'm missing something, so please correct me if I'm all wet, but each generator is creating its own 60 cycle Alternating Current. To run them in parallel would require them to be perfectly synchronized in their 60 cycles per second switching back and forth, positive to negative, or you would be cross connecting their polarity when they ran out of phase to each other. Did I miss something here?
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
When I read this post, the first thing that came to my mind was I couldn't see how you can run two generators in parallel. I'm not an electrician, so maybe I'm missing something, so please correct me if I'm all wet, but each generator is creating its own 60 cycle Alternating Current. To run them in parallel would require them to be perfectly synchronized in their 60 cycles per second switching back and forth, positive to negative, or you would be cross connecting their polarity when they ran out of phase to each other. Did I miss something here?
Yes, you are missing something, however I can't say what without study, so I just go with the idea that there are many gensets which DO combine using a "parallelling?" cord.
I know it is possible and seen it work but never looked at how?

A quick look brought this:
People also ask
Can champion generators run in parallel?
Champion Power Equipment 73500i 30A RV Ready Parallel Kit is designed to instantly increase your power and save space by linking two stackable 2000-watt inverter generators. This parallel kit is compatible with 2000-watt 735XXi model series inverters.

However for those who are into the question, this may add some light:
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...enerators.html

If I were wanting to power an RV with a portable, I would certainly look at what I "thought" was large enough but still smallish, then also keep the idea of parallel in mind to be sure I got the first one of a type that I might want to add the second if one turns out not to be large enough.

I find I tend to start small, find it good and then want more!
Old 01-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I run my two Champion 2500 df in parallel using the parallel kit, when I need power at home. But I only carry one of them in the camper when traveling. It’s all you need if you have an easy start. The parallel kit is not really rv ready though as it requires a standard 30amp plug, so you have to buy a 30amp to 30amp rv adapter. No need for adapter when running rv. You just plug into the 110 outlet using a 15 to 30 dogbone. The amperage produced by the generator will not approach 30amps for one generator. It puts out about 1800 watts. That’s less than 20 amps.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregg View Post
I'm wanting to guy two smaller generators to parallel and have enough power to run the systems on my 2019 Micro. I understand I will need at least 3550 watts running power. 1. The two units will be easier to physically handle, plus a single unit will be handy for other applications.

2. I'm also hoping to have enough power to run my fridge and freezer at the house in case of poser outages.
3. Any suggestions on output for these two new units?
4. I'm not brand slaved, can't afford the Hondas, but have been impressed with the Champion line.
This forum has been so helpful to me, and I appreciate it.
This might be one that I would want to go by the store and actually get hands on with one to lift and pull the cord so that I actually knew more than just reading.
How much output will depend on several personal choices and always the decision of how much to spend but this seems to have the basics for me to like it. Keep in mind the starting pull is lighter on smaller, so the need of electric start is less and being able to parallel them would definitely put two in the right range to run most things other than possible questions of Air conditioner, where size may factor in.

At home we can run way more "stuff" than I consider actually needed in emergency use with the 3500+?- output. The frig/freezer question is not as big as one might think as one way to deal with that is to rotate their use. Get the frig cold and leave it closed and it is good for quite a long time.
But with my currect genset, I'm able to run freezer, frig, furnace, lighting enough to do critical stuff as well as power the computer----which is not a primary during storms! I'm not able to run the air or my radial arm saw!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Richard. So some generators have a parallel kit available to synchronize their cycles, so then you'd need to buy two of the right generators, not use any generator, or mix and match. Got it.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator