Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

An XRV10 Radio Question

A Jensen (ASA) XRV10 radio question. In my'19 Forza 34T, I have the Jensen XRV10 Radio/Camera/Blue Tooth unit. I checked the Owner's Manual and on-line and can find no information regarding connecting anything to the radio to make it a GPS monitor, not even my smart phone. So I contacted ASA. Yep. Their response was that this radio was not designed to be a GPS. Okay, no back-up camera (going forward), no CD or DVD player, no GPS capability. I'm trying to see the benefits in this radio unit compared to past models. Any ideas?
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the same head unit, and the only way to make it a GPS is to use the MHL/HDMI connection and hook to a smart phone. I agree it is a little underpowered for these units.
clduke72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You can actually monitor back-up camera going forward with the Jensen. Unfortunately, my MH is not here. But it can be done without having to modify anything, just a normal operation.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

To add the camera view while driving, I just select source and then camera. The audio that I have selected at the time stays on but the screen will show the camera so you can check on your trailer or toad as you drive. I agree with your overall assertion that this unit is less capable than it should be at the price point of our rigs..
GearJerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You can have the XVR10 display simply mirror the smart phone display. Most installs of the XVR10 do not have the required HMDI to smart phone cable installed. To do this you will need to get access to the rear of the XVR10 (this is typically done by removing the RV manufacturer-specific bezel). Purchase the appropriate phone to HDMI cable and plug into the XVR10 HDMI port. From the function screen you select the HDMI feature and perform any necessary steps to mirror the phone screen - I have not done this yet but plan to in the near future. This should all be pretty straight forward. ONE MAJOR CAVEAT... This mode only works with the Parking Brake applied. Yes, the XVR10 has a "feature" that will prevent use of the HDMI input when the Parking Brake is released - awesome, right? There is a Parking Brake connection in the XVR10 wiring and I will determine how to override this "feature" when I pull the bezel off. Most likely it will be to simply disconnect the Parking Brake connection or to wire it to a +12v source (key in the "on" position) or ground.
sierraryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I recently added the HDMI converter to my XRV-10 and it doesn't seem to be very reliable. I've tried several different apps for my Samsung, but I can't get reliable connections. Seems like an app issue, but like I said I've tried several. Be interested to see if anyone has had success using this feature.
clduke72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I am hoping to do this tomorrow. I have the cable. Can you tell me how you got around the brake issue please.
BeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Kind of sounds like they don't want folks watching videos while driving down the road. Might keep that in mind when you turn off those warning/ safety functions?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: Okay. I got it working. The PINK wire on the back of the XRV10 needs to be wired to ground (the BLACK wire is ground) to make the XRV10 believe the parking brake is pressed even when it isn't. On my rig the PINK wire was not attached to anything so even when the parking brake was pressed the HDMI port would only display the warning message. If your PINK wire is connected you would need to cut it before grounding it. I have an iPhone 7 and it mirrored the screen perfectly. The only thing I don't like is that the touch screen on the XRV10 is not functional to an iPhone (is functional to an Android device) and this seriously impacts its utility as you must use the iPhone screen to perform any task. DISCLAIMER: There have been posts regarding how to circumvent the Warning message the XRV10 displays when using the HDMI port and the parking brake is not pressed. I am only indicating how to make this modification, not advocating that anyone should.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Not planning to watch videos. Just want to mirror navigation system from phone as occurs in most cars.
BeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know how the Radio comes out of the dash I want to add the XM Radio to mine.? I have rear vote and turn views from mine, just select camera from source menu.
Jdhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2018 Vista LX 30T and it was pretty easy. Remove the two screws - one on each side of the bezel near the bottom. This should allow the bezel to be pulled out an inch or so at the bottom, then pull down an inch or so (releasing the retaining clips at the top) and then push to the right until the left side can be pulled out. On mine the bezel would not come loose after removing the two side screws and I discovered that the left mounting screw for the left vent also had to be removed. CAUTION: Both the left screw on the left vent and the right screw on the right vent can be screwed into the metal dash frame that the bezel is mounted to and thus can prevent the bezel from being removed. NOTE: on my unit the SiriusXM Tuner was factory installed with the XRV10.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Just completed this myself. In addition to grounding the pink lead from the radio (arrow), I also needed to disconnect its connector (circled).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1994.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	173041  
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
Just completed this myself. In addition to grounding the pink lead from the radio (arrow), I also needed to disconnect its connector (circled).
I recently moved from my gasser to a 2018 Winnebago Forza 38 and have been trying to figure this out until I came across this thread. I'm looking to see where I can get the HDMI to MHL cord or adapter for my Galaxy Note 9 so I can update my XRV10 as well. I tried to figure it out with the manual to no avail. Is the MHL what attaches to your phone and the HDMI to the XVR? Thanks
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

You don’t need an mhl (Mobile High-Definition Link) connection for this application. Get a USB-c multi-port adapter that has (at least) both a HDMI Port and a USB-c port. Both the HDMI and USB-c ports would be female. You will need a HDMI cable (male connector on both ends). The HDMI cable connects to the HDMI port on the back of the radio and to the HDMI port of the adapter. The phone charge cable will connect to the USB-c port on the adapter. The adapter will plug into the phone. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
Is the MHL what attaches to your phone and the HDMI to the XVR? Thanks
The manual on page 27 says the that MNL attaches to the phone and the HDMI attaches to the Jensen.

https://asasupportdocs.blob.core.win...l_20161221.pdf

Quote:
Interfacing your Smartphone - Android
Depending on your model and brand of smartphone HDMI / MHL may not be supported. Check your smartphone documentation for supported features.Android smartphones will require an app that must be downloaded from Google Play Store. Search for “Jensen HDMI/MHL Connect” in the search bar.Note:

In order to connect your smartphone to your unit, you will need an HDMI/MHL adapter for your particular brand of smartphone. In some cases, you may need to connect the additional micro USB port (On the adapter itself ) to a power source in order for the HDMI/MHL adapter to function properly.

Smartphone HDMI/MHL adapters are available at your local mobile phone retailer. For example, if you have a Samsung S3/S4 or Note 2, you would buy the below HDMI/MHL adapter:Samsung ET-H10FAUWESTA Micro USB to HDMI1080P HDTV Adapter CableFor Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 and Note 2Smartphone brands are usually only compatible with the same brand of HDMI / MHL adapter.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=creativepart;3871971]The manual on page 27 says the that MNL attaches to the phone and the HDMI attaches to the Jensen.

[url]https://asasupportdocs.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Owners%20Manual/XRV10%20manual_20161221.pdf

The cable referenced in the quote is a Micro-USB to HDMI adapter - This will not work on a Galaxy Note 9. The Galaxy Note 9 uses a USB-c connection.
There is no phone adapter with a MHL "connector" that plugs into a phone. MHL is a technology that is supported through a USB-c (or other phone connector types) to HDMI adapter that is certified for MHL. MHL (high definition video) just isn't needed for this radio.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraryder View Post
The cable referenced in the quote is a Micro-USB to HDMI adapter - This will not work on a Galaxy Note 9. The Galaxy Note 9 uses a USB-c connection.
There is no phone adapter with a MHL "connector" that plugs into a phone. MHL is a technology that is supported through a USB-c (or other phone connector types) to HDMI adapter that is certified for MHL. MHL (high definition video) just isn't needed for this radio.
Perhaps I originally misspoke, I agree MHL is the technology but I was uncertain what "type" connector would it be to find the correct adapter from from to HDMI. I've been looking online but none seem to have the connector that would mate with my Note 9. You state its called A
USB-c. That should help me out. Thanks
Old 08-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #19
Site Team

When I read the instructions I see a lot of mentions about this not working on some Android phones. Perhaps you have.....?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When I read the instructions I see a lot of mentions about this not working on some Android phones. Perhaps you have.....?
I heard some are having issues but it was on older droids than my Note 9...so only one way to find out. Though it will be a bit my MH is in getting some warranty done it it. Once I get it back I want to take off the bezel and check the behind the scene setup so I can rest assured when I order it that it’s going to match up.

Tags
radio, v10