Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post
I blew one of my 20w G-4 halagen bulbs. In the time it took me to get the new one seated, my fingers were already burning. Switching to LEDs is a must for me. I aim to use G-4 disks in most applications. Can someone who has done this tell me if you lose much of the light when the difusser is put back on? Should I go with a higher lumen to compensate? Thanks.

Putting the defuser back in place will not cause much light loss. The disc/SMD/LEDs that I used produce plenty of light with the defusers in place. And, they're the "warm white" versions which, are not as bright as the same exact LED as the cool whites. The wife wanted the warm/fuzzy feeling of the warm white ones so guess who won?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
You changed it while the power was on? Ow..
Yep, that is how I found out just how hot these halogen bulbs are.

And, thanks Scott for the reply. I will get after this project this week.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394
I blew one of my 20w G-4 halagen bulbs. In the time it took me to get the new one seated, my fingers were already burning. Switching to LEDs is a must for me. I aim to use G-4 disks in most applications. Can someone who has done this tell me if you lose much of the light when the difusser is put back on? Should I go with a higher lumen to compensate? Thanks.
I found them to be a bit too bright but I got use to it and now I like them a lot. Very white. Would prefer a bit yellower but its good.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone has tried out those Green Longlife bulbs that were listed on page 3 of this thread for their RV Vanity lights? What's the light like?

These were the ones..
http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/18-0914.htm

We still haven't replaced our vanity lights since I really want a warm white color and I was worried the other ones would be too white/blue in color. Green Longlife just came out w/ a new bulb in warm white. Not as bright as the other one, but looks like the right color spectrum:
Green LongLife 9090105 LED Replacement Vanity Light Bulb with 20-99/1156 base 130 Lumens 12v or 24v Warm White : Amazon.com : Automotive

Anyone tried these?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
RCtime & wheelingIt, Sorry I don't have pictures but I have done 3 of the fluorescent fixtures with the "warm white" LED strips 12V 5Meter Warm White 5050 300LED SMD Flexible Strip Light Un Waterproof 3M Tape | eBay They are very similar to my old "Warm White" fluorescent bulbs that I took out and I plan on doing about 8 more. However, I was recently informed that any of these LED bulbs aro strips should have a very closely controlled 12 volts or they will not last long and I'm not sure how to deal with that issue or whether it is very important.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #46

Voltage

I'm also trying to find out about this. The problem is heat and current. I recently put 4 lengths of 5050's in some florescent fixtures and after an hour they got way too hot. The parts Of the fixture I could touch were 137F and who knows how hot the internal parts were.

As the LEDs get hot they draw more current, which makes them hotter, which draws even more current, hotter again, ect. It's called thermal runaway. A LED rated for 10,000 hours might end up lasting less than 100 because of it.

I read that the best way to remedy this is by using a PWM controller/dimmer. The LEDs run at full brightness but only for a small portion of the time. PWM is Pulse Width Modulation. I'm trying to find a reasonable PWM that I can fit inside the fixture or a PWM dimmer I can use to replace the switches. So far I've found them to be too big or too expensive. I found a parts list and circuit board artwork for a DIY PWM but it's way too big for my purposes.

I also replaced a bunch of incandescent bulbs with LEDs and they don't seem to get hot at all. Maybe it's only a problem with the rolls?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Errr...I was hoping for info on the bulbs in our vanity fixture, not replacement for the flourescent fixtures. I might start a new thread since this could be too confusing.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
muddypaws, My rig is in now for a residential refridge so my project is delayed but I'll keep monitoring. Thanks. WheelingIt, sorry my only experience so far is the LED strips and I am very happy with the appearance/color.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Errr...I was hoping for info on the bulbs in our vanity fixture, not replacement for the flourescent fixtures. I might start a new thread since this could be too confusing.
Looks like you were hyjacked....
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #50
Winnie-Wise

FIRE UP, what would you do with your time if you didn't have the moho to work on? I have the same issues, sir. We have done most everything we need to do on our foundation based home and since we are only here about 6 months each year, can't justify spending any more funds on it for "nice to have" improvements. I maintain a list of moho improvements on my desk which keeps me going. You coached me expertly in the coach battery changeover to 6V. Thank you! Keep up the good work; enjoy your posts.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

2 years. 12 halogen bulbs. 12 bucks.

What is the hype all about? Sheesh!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
FIRE UP, what would you do with your time if you didn't have the moho to work on? I have the same issues, sir. We have done most everything we need to do on our foundation based home and since we are only here about 6 months each year, can't justify spending any more funds on it for "nice to have" improvements. I maintain a list of moho improvements on my desk which keeps me going. You coached me expertly in the coach battery changeover to 6V. Thank you! Keep up the good work; enjoy your posts.
doorguy,

You're certainly welcome about the coaching on the 6v'ers. My pleasure. As far as "my time" is concerned, well Sir, since I retired, just over three years ago, I have a ball goofing around with the coach, the house and, when the weather's nice, me and the DW take off on the Goldwing and get out into the country. It's fun to me, to get out and see what can be improved and more effecient. I don't do it on a daily basis, just when I'm in the mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
2 years. 12 halogen bulbs. 12 bucks.

What is the hype all about? Sheesh!
CampDaven,
Well Sir, I don't think there's a "Hype" here. As nice and plush as these rolling Kleenex boxes come, there's always room for improvement. Everyone is different when it comes to what's of value in what they see, do and have in a motorhome. Some just like them the way they are and some, well, they change things. LEDs are improving by the minute. It has been stated, about a thousand times, that HEAT is one of the primary factors in reasons to fork out any money for a change.

Many of the factory bulbs, have gotten so hot that damage to the housing and lenses have occurred. Then there's the "radiant" heat that adds to the already warm coach in the warmer months which, as we all know, is not needed when the A/C units in these things are already working overtime. And, of course, LEDs consume way less energy.

For those that dry camp, the second reason is of primary concern. Now, just how many, what kind, type and color is an individual thing. And, as usual, there's a presidential debate on where to get them. I've stated a few hundred times before, makes no difference to me where anyone gets them. I choose the place I do because of my reasons. Yep, got a few bucks rapped up in them but, to both of us, it was well worth it and would do it again. The only ones we haven't changed yet are the big "globe" ones over the vanity in the bathroom and, the florescent ones over the isle in living room. We'll get to them, sooner or later.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote