Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

AGM House Batteries

Was wondering if any of you are using the AGM (absorbed glass mat) or any Gel type house batteries? If so what are the pro's and con's of this type of battery.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Tom,

Do a search for ‘AGM’ and you’ll come up with around 7 pages of posts on the subject. I as well as many others am using the AGM type batteries and I believe we are all pretty pleased with their function. I like their increased number of cycles, deeper discharge without damage, maintenance free nature, and more Amp./hour per pound that they have to offer. Let us know what you decide.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Great batteries. I have 2 Sears Platinums (AGMs). However, some charger/converters cannot be used with AGMs. In particular, The Intel-Power 9200 Series explicitly states that the product cannot be used to charge AGM batteries. I believe it has to with the charger's automated desulfation feature that boosts the charge rate to 14.4 volts every day for 15 minutes. AGMs don't need this feature and can be damaged by the repeated elevated voltage. Just make sure that your charger/converter lacks this feature. Other than that, AGMs are awesome batteries without much in the way of maintenance.

Jack
Old 07-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
Was wondering if any of you are using the AGM (absorbed glass mat) or any Gel type house batteries? If so what are the pro's and con's of this type of battery.
i am using 2 6v 300ah lifeline agm batteries in series for my coach. the biggest advantage to me is that i was able to mount them under the stairs in the original space of 2 12v batteries. the 12v batteries had 200ah capacity. i was able to mount the lifelines on their sides. they are 13.1" tall. they fit nicely and have 50% more capacity. i never have to add water either.
if i don't deep cycle them often, they have a life span of 10+ years.
i have a sears platinum agm starting battery.
i got my lifelines on line from bd batteries in denver.
the con is the price, though when prorated over 10 years it is more reasonable.
i use a schumacher portable charger designed for agm batteries to maintain my batteries when my moho is in storage. i use the moho 45 amp converter the rest of the time.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

We use all Optima as of about 3 years ago. The starting batteries are a dark grey with a dark blue top and are designed for marine use for starting. We have two in parallel. they are 1000 CCA each. VERY pleased with this set.

The house is 3 - 12v yellow tops. They work exactly as advertised. Absolutely no maintenance.....I like that part. The problem is that there is a total AH capacity of only 165 AH. We don't spend a lot of time dry camping so they work for us. If you spend a lot of time dry camping I don't think they would be a good set up for house batteries. In my research I think the Lifeline product is the the best for house.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Many use AGM. I have two house banks (House and Inverter) the 2nd one is AGM, they are good batteries if you have any "Issues" tha tmake flooded wet cells impractical. (IE: Hard to service, or hard to properly vent, or need to mount "oddly" (not "This side up")

GEL, is about the worst possible choice, Assorted reasons

Many confuse the two since they share the "This side need not be up" characteristic, but that, and mantenance free is about it, Where as AGM's are among the most rugged (OPTIMA, a special class of AGM, is the most physically rugged, but it has other issues making it impractical for RV use) Gel's are the most delicate. AGM's some brands can be charged very fast, GEL's very slowly. That kind of thing.

But I'm very happy with my MK Agm's
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

for a counterpoint:

yes AGM's are nice batteries, quite rugged, can be mounted upside down, and can handle large current in or out.

but

they are lead acid batteries and not that much different than any other. They suffer if deeply discharged on a regular basis like any lead acid battery. For twice the price of a wet cell, nominal lifespan is only 25% or so longer (see Az WindSun FAQ). Code still requires a proper, vented battery box for AGM's. As with any SRLA they are somewhat sensitive to overcharging. Energy capacity per pound is about the same as wet cell.

Gel Cels have gone somewhat out of favor in RV circles I think. They are a bit picky in charging and work best in float service.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all your input - appreciated.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Tom. So what did you decide.....? I'm kinda in the same predicament I have a house battery boiling over big time.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have an AGM system in my rig.. MK (Made by East Penn, who also make Deka)

pros:
AGM's are very rugged batteries, second only to Optima, (Which are, in fact, AGM, but a sub class of AGM)

They can be mounted in any position, ON their side, on end, upside down, at an angle, They don't care.

They are VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) so they are 1: Maintenance free, and 2: Low out-gassing, this means venting is not as important (you need to vent, but not as much)

Now, Xantrex recommends the same max-charge rate for AGM as for flooded wet cells, but Lifeline (WHo makes AGM's) recommends faster. Quite a bit faster.. This means shorter re-charge time (less generator time)

So, the short version: Very rugged, mount at odd angles, Fast recharge

The Cons:

PRICE!!!!!, and as with all "Sealed" Batteries (Some folks call them SLA, nobody, I mean NOBODY, makes a sealed lead acid battery, they are VRLA, Explained above) you can not add water.. Thus, when they finally do dry out,, they are done for. This means they do not live as long as a properly maintained Flooded wet cell. Again, this translates to COST

HOw much shorter is their life... Well with proper care, not much.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Mr_H

Anyone know about these brands?

Anyone familiar with either one of these two batteries (for house use)?:

Kinetik High Current Power Cells

Shuriken Batteries

(The SK-BT-120 model)

They appear to be SERIOUS batteries..and as I can get a deal on them...I wonder if they'd be a good (or even great) choice.

Normally the price would speak against them...but as I said, looking at the deal I can get...maybe worth doing.

????
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Tom: I put AGM house batteries in 3 years ago and have been very happy with them in my Adventurer 8.1 Workhorse I also replaced the engine battery this year with an AGM, you may want to look at installing a "trickle start" battery maintainer to keep your engine battery fully charged when plugged in for a long stay no ac power is needed for this it feeds off your house batteries until the engine battery is fully charged then it switches to the maintain position
bgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hi Mr_H,

Just my opinion only. Both of these manufacturers seem to be playing to “Today’s audiophile” (kids with no electronics background). Kind of like gold plated audio cables that cost an arm and two legs. Does it make a difference? Technically, yes. Does it make a difference? Measurable, probably not. Does it make a difference? No. Put two systems together, with and without and try to tell which is which. Impossible.

The specks on these two batteries sound an awful lot like AGM starting batteries. High current available because of many thin plates but for RV deep cycle use, they probably won’t last nearly as long as say a Concord or Lifeline. If it’s the high current you’re after, then try a Lifeline starting battery and save the money. $500.00 for a Group 31 is way over the top and they probably don’t even make them, just order in large quantities with their label on them from someone like Concord. The same as most all the branded products.

If you can get one or two of these for around $200.00 and there is room for it, they may make a reasonably good starting battery for your RV. For the Coach, I would still recommend either 4ea. 6 Volt or 3ea. 12 Volt deep cycle anything, but gel.

If the makers of these products would like to comment……..
Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_H View Post
Anyone familiar with either one of these two batteries (for house use)?:

Kinetik High Current Power Cells

Shuriken Batteries

(The SK-BT-120 model)

They appear to be SERIOUS batteries..and as I can get a deal on them...I wonder if they'd be a good (or even great) choice.

Normally the price would speak against them...but as I said, looking at the deal I can get...maybe worth doing.

????
from their literature, these 2 batteries do not appear to be deep cycle batteries suitable for use in house battery installations.
it looks like they would make super starting batteries.
check here for more info on deep cycle batteries: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
i got my lifeline 6ct deep cycle batteries from bd batteries online. they are kinda unique size wise. while expensive, their price included shipping.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

First: Gel and AGM are as different as a summer day and a winter night.

AGM's are very good for RV use.. I have a pair of 'em on my inverter loop. They charge quickly (Some brands charge faster than others but at worst it's as fast or faster than flooded wet cells) hold up well and can be mounted in any position, normal, on their side, end, upside down, they do not care.. As with all VRLA (Often mistakenly called SLA) batteries (Means Valve Regulated Lead Acid or Sealed Lead Acid if you want to know) they are low gasing and maintenence free.

GEL, on the other hand is the SLOWEST charging, they are not at all forgiving of over charge either amps or volts. And are among the WORST choices for RV use.. I recommend against them

Another battery I recommend against, even if it is AGM. is the OPTIMA.. Reason,,, Very simply, you get almost exactly 3/4 of the battery, and you pay around 4/3 (or more) of the price.. Very bad bargain... Less, of course, you get one heck of a sale on 'em.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have 3 Lifeline AGM batteries for my chassis. I got fed up with the problems of wet cell even though they are considerably cheaper. In my humble opinion, AGM, are worth the extra cost. I will not go back to wet cells. Have had these for over two years without any problem. I pay close attention to proper charging and voltage.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Mr_H

Ok, here's a kicker for you: I am over at Cherry Hill RV Park outside of DC. There's a guy doing all the RV service here...and he'd NEVER heard of Lifeline batteries when I asked him. He says in 20 years of servicing coaches he's never seen one with Lifeline. Ok, so much for him advising me on that brand... Now, he says he'll just put in the run of the mill Interstate batteries they carry here at the park. Should I let him do that (and have it over and done with quickly) or is it worth going out of my way to shop for the Lifeline batts? (I called the local Lifeline distributor here and ended up with a cro-magnon sounding guy who was as far from customer-centric as...well..you get the point).
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Call Lifeline Batteries in Azusza, Caifornia. Ask for Andrew: 1-800-527-3224 Ext. 229
I purchased the GPL-31T AGM Deep Cycle. Andrew can answer all of your questions. I also found that I could get these cheaper online than from a dealer. Andrew (or someone else if he isn't there anymore) should be able to help you. Talk to Andrew about your experience, I think you will get some good advice. Let me know how you make out.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

WOW!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have 4 of the Lifeline Batteries and am very satisfied. I'm sure Lifeline can set you up with a local distributor or ship. Shipping is usually an extra charge, I paid it and believe the extra cost of batteries and shipping are worth the value.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote