Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding security lights

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to ask if anyone had modified their coach by adding security lights on their coach midships. If so, whats the process? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of useful information and help here.

I have not added security lights midships but you will probably find other here who have.

Just a suggestion you might state what kind of coach and lights you have.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of useful information and help here.

I have not added security lights midships but you will probably find other here who have.

Just a suggestion you might state what kind of coach and lights you have.
Thanks, I've moved from a "2006 36ft Cedar Creek" 5th wheel to a"2008 Winnebago Journey 39z". Haven't purchased the lights yet.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I bought a Smartlight which can just replace the existing "porch light." It has a motions sensor and daylight sensor. I also have a Scarelight for the drivers side. Can flip it on to check for security or to hook yp utilities at night. The Smartlights retail for $99, but canusually be bought for $20 less.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

I like the outdoor Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV but it only has one bulb where as my outdoor lights all have double bulbs. I don't want less illumination.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I like the outdoor Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV but it only has one bulb where as my outdoor lights all have double bulbs. I don't want less illumination.
The Smart Lights seem to put out more light than the original, probably more lumens in one bulb than in the two and probably a better reflector.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The Smart Lights seem to put out more light than the original, probably more lumens in one bulb than in the two and probably a better reflector.

We purchased the above mentioned light last Oct 08 while attending the WH rally at Myrtle Beach. I believe that the light is indeed much brighter than the original.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Creek View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to ask if anyone had modified their coach by adding security lights on their coach midships. If so, whats the process? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Like THIS ?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have done this for several of our customers just have to pick the right spot,we all ways use a singlr switch and bezel that matches the one in the coach
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the ideas.

Dave
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I hope you don't plan on leaving them on all night shinning into your neighbors windows.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Last year we took a trip to NM, stayed for a few days in the Natl Forrest. There was a fellow there , who for some reason, had installed a home type motion sensor light just above his door. I thought when I saw it, that it might be a good idea. Those dinky yellow lights for door lights, just do not seem to get the job done right.

However around 11PM , someones dog ran around and it went by this guy's trailer. The light bulb he used , and I asked the next day, was a 500 watt , all weather, SPOT LIGHT !

Needless to say, we got very little sleep that night. Yep, we moved the next am. Please dont do this....
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I hope you don't plan on leaving them on all night shinning into your neighbors windows.
Why is it that any conversation relating to outside lighting, whether it be scare lights, IR, or even solar, always draw comments like this. It occurs to me that IR lights are the best of everything. It's off until it's needed, which BTW- Cancels out your statement. I installed my patio standard illumination light with the IR detector on it for exactly this reason, and it will remain energized to switch on anytime it's needed.

Go after the guys that have the 250W+ lights surrounding their vehicles. That's not what the OP was going for.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Why is it that any conversation relating to outside lighting, whether it be scare lights, IR, or even solar, always draw comments like this. It occurs to me that IR lights are the best of everything. It's off until it's needed, which BTW- Cancels out your statement

If you go back and look at the links above you will see that they go off automatically and many of us have had the misfortune of camping next to some of these motion sensor idiot lights that go off and on all night. If somebody wants to put in a switch to scare off an intruder, that is well and good (although turning on any light inside would also work just as well.), but leaving lights that go on and off all light long due to wind and animals is very disrespectful to your fellow campers and I would hope that others would think so too. I have had the misfortune to been next to other campers who didn’t.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

LOL Jeff, you are preaching to the choir boy. Obviously you need light to help with your security. Many dont. If I am scared, a light will not suffice, unless it is the light on the tip of my weapon.
I think people are trying to say that motion detection lights, go off for many reason, not for what they are designed for. Rain, wind, bugs, animals and yes even criminals will set them bright buggers off.
Why should other people be distrubed cause someone is scared of the dark?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
LOL Jeff, you are preaching to the choir boy. Obviously you need light to help with your security. Many dont. If I am scared, a light will not suffice, unless it is the light on the tip of my weapon.
I think people are trying to say that motion detection lights, go off for many reason, not for what they are designed for. Rain, wind, bugs, animals and yes even criminals will set them bright buggers off.
Why should other people be distrubed cause someone is scared of the dark?
Nice try but I'm not biting the "scared" senerio.

We spend a majority of the time camping at the beach in a place famous for generators, etc. disappearing, some even locked. Being along a street, if I can keep the nefarious characters from hiding in the shadows, good for me, they'll move down the road. If someone has a broken or over sensitive IR, then it needs fixing. Properly set-up IR's don't just turn on by themselves.

Jeff - WA6EQU