Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well, here's the dilemma. The wife loves the new MH, and we have spent a few long trips getting used to the various systems. Most have been great, but there is one issue. She noted when we first looked at this MH that the oven was replaced with drawers and the cooking appliance is a convection microwave.

Well, after 6000 miles and many meals prepared, she still misses her propane oven. The micro is fine when we are plugged in or on genny, but we like to dry camp, and she likes to cook. In many dry camp areas there are tight restrictions on hours of genny use, and we try not to run it anymore than necessary. I don't want to lose the drawer space, and she doesn't care much for the micro.

So the question is, has anyone ever seen an oven that could be installed up high (like a home oven in a double oven set up) in place of the microwave??

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, here's the dilemma. The wife loves the new MH, and we have spent a few long trips getting used to the various systems. Most have been great, but there is one issue. She noted when we first looked at this MH that the oven was replaced with drawers and the cooking appliance is a convection microwave.

Well, after 6000 miles and many meals prepared, she still misses her propane oven. The micro is fine when we are plugged in or on genny, but we like to dry camp, and she likes to cook. In many dry camp areas there are tight restrictions on hours of genny use, and we try not to run it anymore than necessary. I don't want to lose the drawer space, and she doesn't care much for the micro.

So the question is, has anyone ever seen an oven that could be installed up high (like a home oven in a double oven set up) in place of the microwave??

Old 10-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

From your description I have ask ... Has she ever used the convection function?? It is not just a "convection microwave." It is a Convection oven AND a Microwave oven. The Convection function performs very much like a traditional oven, just using electric rather than LP. My wife has begun to use the convection function more and more often. True, it does use electric rather than LP, and therefore must have power flowing to operate.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
From your description I have ask ... Has she ever used the convection function?? It is not just a "convection microwave." It is a Convection oven AND a Microwave oven. The Convection function performs very much like a traditional oven, just using electric rather than LP. My wife has begun to use the convection function more and more often. True, it does use electric rather than LP, and therefore must have power flowing to operate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had only used the Sharp that is in my current coach I would not like the convection microwave very much either. My wife and I actually the kids too much preferred the Panasonic that was in our 95 Vectra much better. The simpler controls with an obvious combined mode made it much more attractive then the Sharp. If we had seen the Sharp first we would have branded convection microwaves as a class as unexceptable.

At times when dry camping we do find ourselves wishing for a true oven that does not require the gennerator to be started and may just bite the bullet and loose the draw space to accomodate it.

I don't think I would dump the microwave to accomodate it. We may just put a larger converter in that will run the microwave when we don't want to start the genset which is what we did in our Vectra.

We will let time pass and see which option the spirit moves us to pursue when the time comes.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

SargeW, we love our propane oven and use it accordingly. In fact, we paid extra to get the "bigger" Adventurer oven installed in our Brave. And we just have a standard "nuke" microwave up on top.
-But to answer your question, no, I've never seen an LP oven mounted above the countertops... -I'm thinking the venting could be a challenge.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

SargeW, I have never seen a taller style oven. While purchasing our 32T Journey we compared and oven version with a non oven version side by side.

We opted for the oven version. But noticed that an oven could be easily installed if we were willing to do without the exta draws and storage. If you need some pictures of the stock oven installation I can post some for you.

We use the oven all the time, and it works great.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

All of my research has revealed the same issues that all of you have raised. The wife has used the convection oven many times, but if no power is available, it's useless. To cook a full meal using the converter is unrealistic. To run the convection for an hour to cook a meal I doubt is possible.

So, it's a matter of deciding on wether to lose the drawers, or try to make do with a convection oven. However, I did find that Coleman is now making a portable propane oven that has had good reviews.

I also was looking for a "RV Que" that I have seen included on a few RV's. It is basically a Bar-b-Que that mounts on the outside of the RV on brackets, and a hose connnects it to your propane tank. I searched the net, and had no hits on Google. Anyone ever seen one, and know who makes it??

Old 10-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the same setup as you. My wife does not use the convection oven either but loves the microwave. I have a Weber Q 200. I added a thermometer to the hood and can cook pretty accurately with it.

To answer your question my neighbor had the same set up. He bought a new Amana propane RV stove, cook top combo. He had to remove the drawers and just left the wooden surround but he said it was a fairly easy fit.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem - the only thing we ever griped about our motorhome was not having a propane oven. We camp a lot where there is not much, if any power and didn't want to listen to the generator. After getting estimates to have an oven installed, I decided to tackle the job myself. I replaced the MagicChef cook top with a MagicChef cooktop/oven combo. The installation was much easier and cheaper than expected. I had to remove two small drawers underneath and cut a small piece of plywood from the back of cabinet. The unit is supported by the countertop only and the gas line was in the same place. So, like I said it was fairly straightforward. It improved our camping experience many times over.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
RC
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My wife has never been able to cook anything in the LP oven in our MH. She longs for convection microwave as she sees this as the answer to her past failures. After reading your post, how do I tell her it must be her cooking skills? Help!!!!!

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sarge W. Concerning the RV Q, and propane ovens check out a marine supplier such as West Marine.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm, didn't think of a marine shop, there is one not too far from me too........